Edsall calls a reverse. | The Boneyard

Edsall calls a reverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The only interest I have in this is that, by virtue of media pressure to let O'Brien go to Vandy (where they are settled with a QB, by the way), he is now free to come to UConn. As he'll be eligible next fall, my guess is he would be a heavy favorite to win the job in August if he shows up here.

I can't imagine why we wouldn't want to talk to him.

Reaction Score
2 Statements that make no sense to me:

O'Brien said in the statement. "I would like to thank Coach Edsall for his support throughout this process."
O'Brien will graduate this spring and has two years of eligibility remaining.

Reaction Score
2 Statements that make no sense to me:

O'Brien said in the statement. "I would like to thank Coach Edsall for his support throughout this process."
O'Brien will graduate this spring and has two years of eligibility remaining.
Obrien is taking the high road.

Obrien technically a Jr., and is graduating early which is not all that uncommon. The kid is bright, Duke was his second choice. He redshirted, so he was a sophomore in eligibility this past season and has two years of eligibility left.

Reaction Score
I am also very interested in one of the other 3 recruits, Mario Rowson, who was shifted to OLB by Edsall. He really wants to play DB and was recruited by Don Brown to play DB in Brown's system. Measures at 6'3 200 lbs. Would be a great addition to the secondary and already knows the defensive system. Unlike O'Brien he would have to sit out a year and would have 2 years of eligibility remaining.

The other transfer (Max Garcia) would also be welcomed as he was a starting OT last year, but it seems like he will be heading toward home in GA. Could end up at Vandy also.

Reaction Score
What a change in dynamic. At UConn, he owned the media and got away with pretty much whatever he wanted. Now he is the media's bitch and he's being forced to hire guys like Mike Locksley and pay him based on the rank of UMD's recruiting classes (remember how much he hated that crap?).

The media is eating him alive. And the days of smarmy comments directed at the fan base appear to be over.

Reaction Score
The fact that O'Brien has to stay at Maryland through the Spring to graduate will likely limit his options. B'law's statement that Vandy is settled at QB with Jordan Rodgers is a bit of a reach. The kid played OK this year, but only completed 50% of his passes and finished with a very weak 4-14 performance against Cincy. I think Franklin would take O'Brien at Vandy in a second, but there may be better options for him elsewhere. It would be pretty funny if Maryland took all this flak about O'Brien and he ended up not going to Vandy.

Reaction Score
What a change in dynamic. At UConn, he owned the media and got away with pretty much whatever he wanted. Now he is the media's bitch and he's being forced to hire guys like Mike Locksley and pay him based on the rank of UMD's recruiting classes (remember how much he hated that crap?).

The media is eating him alive. And the days of smarmy comments directed at the fan base appear to be over.
Karma can be a beeoch can't it?

Reaction Score
"While at first I thought it was important to limit the institutions to which they could transfer, I have since reconsidered my decision," Edsall said in a prepared statement. "At the end of the day, I want what's best for these guys and I wish them well in their futures."

Up until this turnabout after getting flogged by the local and national sports media, I couldn't help but recall
a scene from one of my favorite series of movies - Pirates of the Caribbean.
Elizabeth (Sally Jenkins): Captain Barbossa , I am here to negotiate the cessation of hostilities against Port Royal (Danny O'Brien).
Barbossa (Edsall): There are a lot of long words in there, Miss; we're naught but humble pirates. What is it that you want? (You gotta be kidding me if you think I'm influenced by anything you write in that rag of paper you work for.)
Elizabeth (Sally Jenkins): I want you to leave and never come back. (Let Danny O transfer to Vandy if he wants to.)
Barbossa (Edsall): I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means "no". (Can't you see I'm being spiteful, and trying to stem the tide of defections from my team.)

Question for Randy: Other than to a school Maryland might end up playing, why was it ever important to put a restriction on where they could transfer?

I don't think any of us will ever know the real answer, but regardless, thanks for changing you mind Randy. I want what's best for them too.

Reaction Score
I still can't understand why nobody's talked about why we already have a linebacker on our roster ready to play in 2012, that transferred here from Maryland after Edsall was hired, and when everybody knew we've got a home and home scheduled, and our DC was the DC at maryland, and all of that happened before any of this other stuff happened.

It's really a double-reverse, what Edsall's called.

Reaction Score

That's exactly right!

Reaction Score
I still can't understand why nobody's talked about why we already have a linebacker on our roster ready to play in 2012, that transferred here from Maryland after Edsall was hired, and when everybody knew we've got a home and home scheduled, and our DC was the DC at maryland, and all of that happened before any of this other stuff happened.

It's really a double-reverse, what Edsall's called.

I would recommend reading the link attached in another thread. I don't think this was all Edsall's call. The AD and school president, as well as Edsall, would look very bad if DOB thrived under the guy they essentially showed the door.

They caved under media pressure. This was handled brilliantly by the DOB camp. The decision to limit his options was as transparent as glass and was clearly the wrong thing to do.

Reaction Score
A reverse? Edsall's called reverses before. Start a thread when Edsall calls a fake punt or fake field goal.

Reaction Score
The ESPN.com headline "Edsall Grants QB O'Brien Full Release" would seem to signal the QB is heading to Stanford and not Vandy.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
RE never called trick plays at uconn

Reaction Score
What a . Make a decision and own it, tough guy.

I think it shows a bigger person to be able to acknowledge a mistake or overreaching / self-serving decision and then correct it. Whether or not the motivation to do so is genuine, it appears FHCRE has done the right thing.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I think it shows a bigger person to be able to acknowledge a mistake or overreaching / self-serving decision and then correct it. Whether or not the motivation to do so is genuine, it appears FHCRE has done the right thing.
Ehhh... I don't know if I'd give him credit for being a bigger person... Like you said, is the motivation genuine, or was the university just feeling the heat from many directions to change?

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Ehhh... I don't know if I'd give him credit for being a bigger person... Like you said, is the motivation genuine, or was the university just feeling the heat from many directions to change?
I would agree with this. I have a hard time believing Edsall actually owned up to a mistake on his own versus being pressured to do it by the media and University.

Reaction Score

One has to really hate someone to criticize him for doing something, and then criticize him again for taking your advice and doing what you purported to want him to do in the first place. Normal, rational people don't act that way.

Reaction Score
RE never called trick plays at uconn

what about the TD pass to Mike Ryan that was called back b/c he wasn't ruled eligible. i think it was @ND. you know it's a tricky play when the refs don't even know the receiver was eligible

Reaction Score
what about the TD pass to Mike Ryan that was called back b/c he wasn't ruled eligible. i think it was @ND. you know it's a tricky play when the refs don't even know the receiver was eligible

Rutgers at home. In the first home game after Jazz Howard's stabbing (the Tim Brown game).

It is certainly fair to say that Edsall didn't believe in trick plays. You could count on your fingers the number of trick plays we'd run in any four or five year period.

Reaction Score
One has to really hate someone to criticize him for doing something, and then criticize him again for taking your advice and doing what you purported to want him to do in the first place. Normal, rational people don't act that way.

I agree

Reaction Score
Danny O'brien should get on his hands and knees and be thankful he won't see that train wreck but on Espn.He should look to the left coast and get as far away from Maryland as possible.

Reaction Score
The fact that O'Brien has to stay at Maryland through the Spring to graduate will likely limit his options. B'law's statement that Vandy is settled at QB with Jordan Rodgers is a bit of a reach. The kid played OK this year, but only completed 50% of his passes and finished with a very weak 4-14 performance against Cincy. I think Franklin would take O'Brien at Vandy in a second, but there may be better options for him elsewhere. It would be pretty funny if Maryland took all this flak about O'Brien and he ended up not going to Vandy.

The thing is, one of the coaches from MD ended up at Vandy, and it is pretty well rumored that the coach illegally communicated with OB. And RE stood up to him, and wouldn't condone it. So, if that's the real story, I'm with RE on this issue. You can't just poach players against the rules. RE does enough things wrong, but this wasn't one of them, if that's the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom