Edsall at Syracuse - Deserving its own thread | The Boneyard

Edsall at Syracuse - Deserving its own thread

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That really was a good read - loved the part about Richardson and Dwayne Joseph.

Back then, a program in the northeast could compete for these kids before the media decided to anoint the south and midwest as the only places allowed to play football.

Reaction Score
My boss (cuse guy) just sent me that article - good read.

Reaction Score
That really was a good read - loved the part about Richardson and Dwayne Joseph.

Back then, a program in the northeast could compete for these kids before the media decided to anoint the south and midwest as the only places allowed to play football.

Probably still could have been of the Big East had invited Penn State and Pasqualoni didnt ruin two northeast football programs

Reaction Score
Probably still could have been of the Big East had invited Penn State and Pasqualoni didnt ruin two northeast football programs

Pasqualoni: 151-91-4 5 conference titles. 6-2 Bowl games. Syracuse/UConn

Edsall: 100-115 2 conference titles 3-4 Bowl games. UConn/Maryland

Look - Pasqualoni was a bad fit for the program in 2011 as a head coach following Randy Edsall, and by 2013, Warde Manuel (who's crowning achievement at UCONN is getting hockey into Hockey East) fired him 4 games into a season, and then brought in Crazy Bob.

But to make it seem like either one of these two coaches - Pasqualoni or Edsall - is something that they're not, is wrong.

Given a question of: "Who ruined the UConn football program in 2010-2011?" and a multiple choice option of :

A: Paul Pasqualoni

B: Randy Edsall

Make your choice wisely.

College football is about recruiting to the level of competition you want to compete at, and building a program that is a well oiled business machine that involves quite literally hundreds of people, and all kinds of daily, weekly, monthly and yearly logistics to meet goals, so those 12 times a year where the finished product is on display for the public, that it isn't a crapshow. .

Reaction Score
Easy answer

Jeff Hathaway. Duh

Edsall now sees UConn as his "Crowning Achievement" (NO ... I am not stealing from DRT). He has a stakeholder's interest here. WE hear his frustration. I think that is good; he wants to leave this legacy ... this Program in good shape. Hathaway sucked the marrow out of several longtime coaches. He was just a bloodless soulless person. ?? And ... you saw that when you met him. I know many Boneyard football guys are unhappy. I think it is hard to preach patience. However, the PP and Diaco alternative (that is "the Alpha and the Omega" of hires) is frightening. Trust in Edsall ... and David Benedict.

Reaction Score
Well, if there is one major difference b/w Edsall and Pasqualoni it's recruiting QB's. If not for convincing Dan Orlovsky to come to UConn - Edsall's career path could have been very different. Pasqualoni had guy named McNabb at Syracuse, and in his very, very short time recruiting at UConn brought in Cochran, Boyle and had the dog ate my homework episode on signing day with that texas kid that ended up starting in the big10.

But to the point made - Athletic Directors and school administration need to be an active contributing part of successful football programs, without a doubt.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Well, if there is one major difference b/w Edsall and Pasqualoni it's recruiting QB's. If not for convincing Dan Orlovsky to come to UConn - Edsall's career path could have been very different. Pasqualoni had guy named McNabb at Syracuse, and in his very, very short time recruiting at UConn brought in Cochran, Boyle and had the dog ate my homework episode on signing day with that texas kid that ended up starting in the big10.

But to the point made - Athletic Directors and school administration need to be an active contributing part of successful football programs, without a doubt.
What if I told you Lagow ended up being top 5/6 all time in most statistical categories at IU (in two seasons)?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Pasqualoni: 151-91-4 5 conference titles. 6-2 Bowl games. Syracuse/UConn

Edsall: 100-115 2 conference titles 3-4 Bowl games. UConn/Maryland

Look - Pasqualoni was a bad fit for the program in 2011 as a head coach following Randy Edsall, and by 2013, Warde Manuel (who's crowning achievement at UCONN is getting hockey into Hockey East) fired him 4 games into a season, and then brought in Crazy Bob.

But to make it seem like either one of these two coaches - Pasqualoni or Edsall - is something that they're not, is wrong.

Given a question of: "Who ruined the UConn football program in 2010-2011?" and a multiple choice option of :

A: Paul Pasqualoni

B: Randy Edsall

Make your choice wisely.

College football is about recruiting to the level of competition you want to compete at, and building a program that is a well oiled business machine that involves quite literally hundreds of people, and all kinds of daily, weekly, monthly and yearly logistics to meet goals, so those 12 times a year where the finished product is on display for the public, that it isn't a crapshow. .

What PP did at Syracuse or Edsall at Maryland has nothing to do with performance at UConn or who was/is the person who ruined UConn football in 2010-2011. UConn football was not ruined in one year alone. Diaco played the biggest part in the downturn of the program in recent years and whomever hired the dolt shares in the responsibility.
As far as who was better for the program during their tenure, PP or RE? - it is so apparent that it smacks you in the face - no need to choose wisely

Reaction Score
What PP did at Syracuse or Edsall at Maryland has nothing to do with performance at UConn or who was/is the person who ruined UConn football in 2010-2011. UConn football was not ruined in one year alone. Diaco played the biggest part in the downturn of the program in recent years and whomever hired the dolt shares in the responsibility.
As far as who was better for the program during their tenure, PP or RE? - it is so apparent that it smacks you in the face - no need to choose wisely

I wrote a pretty specific question with only two multiple choice answers. This response now makes two people with reading comprehension and direction following problems

Reaction Score
Easy answer

Jeff Hathaway. Duh

Edsall now sees UConn as his "Crowning Achievement" (NO ... I am not stealing from DRT). He has a stakeholder's interest here. WE hear his frustration. I think that is good; he wants to leave this legacy ... this Program in good shape. Hathaway sucked the marrow out of several longtime coaches. He was just a bloodless soulless person. ?? And ... you saw that when you met him. I know many Boneyard football guys are unhappy. I think it is hard to preach patience. However, the PP and Diaco alternative (that is "the Alpha and the Omega" of hires) is frightening. Trust in Edsall ... and David Benedict.
But, remember, Jeffy Boy still holds the Rentchler record for most on field photo ops staged, both for for a single game and career. I grew to hate those forays more than the phony official managing TV timesout.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom