Edsall: “Today’s Players Aren’t As Mentally Tough”- Gets Mocked By Local & National Media | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Edsall: “Today’s Players Aren’t As Mentally Tough”- Gets Mocked By Local & National Media

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
As if we needed any more evidence of what a dinosaur this guy is.

College football today is about flash, explosiveness, and drawing eyeballs. Edsall coaches as if it's about crew cuts and 3 yard handoffs up the middle.

We can be bad, or we can be boring. But please, dear God, can we stop being both?
Herm Edwards says Hello!

Reaction Score
And you think HCRE is that guy?

didn’t recruit him; I wouldn’t know. But if u think the job of a coach is to focus exclusively on X’s and O’s, I respectfully disagree.

and if my kid skipped class, I’d want him to pay the consequences.

Reaction Score
This is true. I’m glad he is working on building character. I think as a function of schooling that is precisely what’s important. Anybody can and should build on that. Where I draw the line is dumping on kids innate talent as a leader. That’s a you problem not a kid problem. Ergo why I find the meathead’s comments much more troubling.

fair enough. I listened and heard something different.

There’s a balance between leading and getting others to take a leadership role. I’m a big believer that one can promote themselves by working hard and earning things OR putting others down. I didn’t hear the latter in the talk.
butI fully understand the passionate frustration after a decade of unacceptable performance

Reaction Score
The game has evolved. The kids have changed. The best coaches in the country have adapted. Randy has not. You can still teach life lessons. You can still hold kids accountable. The problem with Randy’s fixed mindset is he can’t relate to today’s athlete and seems to refuse to fix himself first. Adapt or die.....#growthmindset

Reaction Score
I remember when "Bear" Bryant, a coach who knew a little bit about football, was once interviewed by a reporter who was critical about a lineman who was called a few times in a game for a false start. Bryant;s response was that it was the fault of the coaching staff for not properly coaching him and that the buck stopped with him as head coach.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
The game has evolved. The kids have changed. The best coaches in the country have adapted. Randy has not. You can still teach life lessons. You can still hold kids accountable. The problem with Randy’s fixed mindset is he can’t relate to today’s athlete and seems to refuse to fix himself first. Adapt or die.....#growthmindset

This is my problem with what Randy said...he proudly declares that he isn't going to change. When you hear a leader say that in the corporate world, they don't last long. He is too stubborn to realize that he has a responsibility to evolve as kids change.

Reaction Score
This guy is just a complete clown show. These quotes are so bad, on multiple levels

Level 1) Hypocritical. Guy just has 0 self awareness. Enforces grit, Accountability and doing the right thing yet never takes any accountability for how his team performs when they lose. Randy is never the problem.

Level 2) They show he’s a terrible leader. If you listen to any great leader, the one thing that is always brought up when they talk about why they are successful is adaptability and a willingness to learn. Randy makes very clear here that he is not willing to do either of these things.

and people saying he’s right, give me a break. Every generation has their issues that make them “soft”. When I was a kid it was video games. Now my generation is fine and it’s social media that screwing everything up. Every NCAA team doesn’t suck, so the other teams must be adapting to make this generation work for them.

Adapt or Gee Tee Heffe Ooh Randy

Reaction Score
I think Benedict believes in Randy. No inside info, I just get the impression from his recent comments that he believes in Randy's process.
You could not be more wrong. They hate each other.

Reaction Score
Why did he hire him if that is that case? One can usually determine if an applicant is the right fit for a job during an interview. He certainly knew of Randy's history here and at Maryland. I would expect that Randy will be given his walking papers as soon as the season is over and there is no payout due if that is the case. Let's see what happens!

C

Chief00

Dave took credit for the hire but is now leaking his hand was forced. Randy had no heads up on the Big East thing. Chief got much more of a courtesy heads up than our football coach.

Reaction Score
I think Benedict believes in Randy. No inside info, I just get the impression from his recent comments that he believes in Randy's process.
I was at an event with Benedict. I asked him if he thought Hurley was a good hire. He said not only was he a tremendous hire but he was going to turn the program around much quicker then anyone thought. He then said Randy had a tremendously difficult job turning the football program around. It looks like he knew what he was talking about!

Reaction Score
Dave took credit for the hire but is now leaking his hand was forced. Randy had no heads up on the Big East thing. Chief got much more of a courtesy heads up than our football coach.
I know. As I said in a post a couple days ago, "he grudgingly hired Edsall", but it goes beyond that. Being athletic director, has Benedict ever watched a game from the sidelines since Edsall came back? Lol

Reaction Score
Since several of you seem to know they don’t like each other, any rumors of change would be far more interesting. I figured that wasn’t the case since Dave said that he’d been talking to Edsall now and then for a year before hiring him. My assumption was they were friendly.

While the budget has obviously been an issue since the Diaco buyout, maybe Dave just isn’t advocating to pay assistants more because he thinks Randy is failing. Maybe he’s been waiting and saving. With a new president, he can now take a shot at making a move and paying a good staff adequately.

My gut tells me Randy lives to coach here again next year and that he’ll make progress. I feel that he’s brought in much more speed and talent. Still, he has to get a better offensive game plan to truly succeed. Otherwise, 6-6 will be about all we’ll see in a good year.

Reaction Score
Any coach that comes into a program where losing is the norm in in for a fight. It doesn't take a genius to see that at the end of a game the player scowl a bit, then go on with their lives. As I've mentioned too many times, I'm out here in Nebraska where the same thing is happening. It will take a long time for recruiting to bring in enough mentally tough guys to outweigh the sheer number of the mentally weak that came in under the previous coach. What magnifies the problem is that the mentally weak are the majority and the team "leaders". I know well and are occasionally around some of the Nebraska guys that won 3 NC's back in the 90's and played with Frost and have access to the day to day goings on down in Lincoln. They are quietly appalled at the lack of fire in the bellies a lot of the team. That will need to change if the program is to move forward.

RE has it so much worse. Piss poor recruiting, zero historical fervor among the team and it's fan base. Lack of support from the ivory tower. It will take a miracle to turn this program around.

And I have no problem with RE calling out his players. Babying them is not the solution.

Reaction Score
Any coach that comes into a program where losing is the norm in in for a fight. It doesn't take a genius to see that at the end of a game the player scowl a bit, then go on with their lives. As I've mentioned too many times, I'm out here in Nebraska where the same thing is happening. It will take a long time for recruiting to bring in enough mentally tough guys to outweigh the sheer number of the mentally weak that came in under the previous coach. What magnifies the problem is that the mentally weak are the majority and the team "leaders". I know well and are occasionally around some of the Nebraska guys that won 3 NC's back in the 90's and played with Frost and have access to the day to day goings on down in Lincoln. They are quietly appalled at the lack of fire in the bellies a lot of the team. That will need to change if the program is to move forward.

RE has it so much worse. Piss poor recruiting, zero historical fervor among the team and it's fan base. Lack of support from the ivory tower. It will take a miracle to turn this program around.

And I have no problem with RE calling out his players. Babying them is not the solution.
Thank you Mrs Edsall, excellent post.

Reaction Score
Is there an Edsall quote in existence where he actually takes a shred of responsibility for the situation we're in

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom