Edsall: “Today’s Players Aren’t As Mentally Tough”- Gets Mocked By Local & National Media | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Edsall: “Today’s Players Aren’t As Mentally Tough”- Gets Mocked By Local & National Media

Reaction Score
Part of his issue is he just lacks tact. This could have been said differently and it would not have generated as much controversy. Had he said that there are more distractions these days, while obvious, would not have gotten the negative push back he is getting now.

Reaction Score
I completely understand the frustration of where we are, but ....

this is one of thousands examples of how frustrating it is to read/listen to the media.

Thank you Mrs Edsall, but the only reading that frustrates me is reading the scoreboard.

Reaction Score
Part of his issue is he just lacks tact. This could have been said differently and it would not have generated as much controversy. Had he said that there are more distractions these days, while obvious, would not have gotten the negative push back he is getting now.
I hear you, but much of his issue is his record this time. JC railed against everything and everybody...and I am not sure tact and Calhoun were ever used in the same sentence...but he won natty’s

Reaction Score
Just saw the video. If you actually watch the 5-10 minutes he talks about what happened regarding the kids skipping class and his expectations, its admirable in my mind. It's also something that wouldn't be repeated by what, 75% of FBS coaches out there? 95%? Making kids do bear crawls because they skipped a class? If an SEC coach saw this they'd bust out laughing like a hyena.

I mean if I'm a parent who isn't filled with the delusion about the only thing mattering being my son making the NFL, I would absolutely love what he said and that's the type of coach I would want to send my son to for 4-5 years.

Agree that he may not be a great wordsmith but his heart is in the right place.

The irony of him killing twitter because of all the me vs. you it creates and now he's being ripped and ridiculed on twitter.

And yes, some of the things he does during games can be maddening, but this is separate from what goes on during the game. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree folks should watch the press conference. I have no issue with what Randy said or his approach to teaching kids life lessons. I don't agree the part about it being generational. Mentally tough / mentally soft kids have been a part of every generation. I am hoping that him calling out the players will help some of the younger, more mentally tougher kids to emerge as leaders as they get to be upper classmen.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Its simple, if we weren't 5-20 under the Edsall 2.0 tenure this would be a non story. Compound this point with this age and the fact he has refer to this "difference" several times before and you start to become concerned.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I just watched what he said. it was totally taken out of context in the original tweet. What he said made sense. It was about taking responsibility for yourself.

Reaction Score
I just watched what he said. it was totally taken out of context in the original tweet. What he said made sense. It was about taking responsibility for yourself.

It's like getting thrown out of a B league SW basketball game for threatening a ref when all you were trying to do was have him take some accountability! ;)

Reaction Score
My God Randy is even more clueless on how to relate to young adults in 2019 than I actually believed. People need to stop romanticizing what he did in the past, the pinnacle being a 9 win season, and come to grips with the fact that he is hilariously ill equipped to be a HC in this day and age. People who post that it could actually get worse if they fire Randy, I say how? Worse than losing every flipping game by 3-4 touchdowns except against FCS Schools or teams like Houston that have essentially punted on their season. Dude is headed for a 1 or 2 win season tops. What do you have to lose by moving on?

Reaction Score

Yet Randy doesn’t take any responsibility for himself.

It’s almost like he’s a big ol’ (emphasis on ol’) hypocrite.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
So I listened to the whole press conference, and I don't know how a UConn fan can listen to that and feels good.

I didn't hear any optimism...I just heard a lot of excuses. And he freely admits he isn't going to change. He says kids are different, but he isn't going to change. If I told my employer that I wasn't going to evolve and develop, but I was going to always do things the way I have done, I would be put out to pasture. I am a different leader today than I was 20 years ago...and that's out of necessity. Yes...people who work for me have changed...and guess what....I changed with them.

Randy is old school to a fault. Not a bad guy...but really really old school. I would have felt better if Randy had given any indication that he has adjusted his approach to adapt to kids today. But....he freely states he won't change and they need to change for him. Sounds like a tougher road to take. And lots and lots of excuses.

Lastly....he doesn't sound happy. I don't know why he stays in the job....he sounds miserable.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Lastly....he doesn't sound happy...he sounds miserable.
Really wouldn't you be miserable? This whole rebuild has been one continuing colonoscopy

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
One of the players must have done a fortnite dance at practice yesterday and it really set him off

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Lastly....he doesn't sound happy. I don't know why he stays in the job....he sounds miserable.
12/2 is coming and the five remaining games might be influential on what happens next.

Reaction Score
I should watch the tape tonight, that would be fair.

Thus far this rebuild has been a tough slog and any comments about generational issues just screams red flag that the coach has aged out of the game. Come on, there are 129 other programs working with the same pool of kids. At the end of the day, all the coaches have that same challenge (fortnite/social media/portal), so they are on equal footing in that regard. Thing is, seems to be more of a handicap for Randy than other coaches who seem to "get it" via the results on the field and the faster program turnarounds.
To be fair we’re probably not closely following the pressers of other programs. We don’t really know what they’re saying. I agree that he sounds like aged steak when he speaks like this but I’m sure other college programs that are in the midst of a challenging period/season are saying things that are tinted with frustration.

Heck Jeremy Pruitt of the Vols was getting bashed for gently grabbing the QB’s face mask because he fumbled at the goal line against Bama.

Reaction Score
Watch Sabans presser this week. Maybe listen in at 6:30 mark. In fairness, his reporters seem to focus on football.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I would gladly travel and pay to watch an Amish football team. Probably wouldn't be all that fast, but those dudes are strong as hell.

Reaction Score
As much as I admire Randy Edsall, I question whether he is as mentally tough now as when he was here the the first time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom