Edinburgh | The Boneyard

Edinburgh

Reaction Score
Going there for a few days this summer. Anyone have any good (yet inexpensive) hotel or Air BnB suggestions? Hoping to be somewhat near public transportation.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Going there for a few days this summer. Anyone have any good (yet inexpensive) hotel or Air BnB suggestions? Hoping to be somewhat near public transportation.

Just you?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Motel One is a chain based in Germany, when I went to Edinburgh several years ago I think they had recently expanded into the UK. They have a couple hotels in the city, Edinburgh-Royal is the one I stayed at and is next to Waverly station and the stop for the Airlink airport bus. When I went the check-in was really inefficient, that was the only negative. Again, that was a while ago, so hopefully they've fixed that by now. Great location and value.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I hope you're going in August as Edinburgh is amazing then with the Tattoo, Fringe and Arts festivals all happening simultaneously. I can't imagine it any other way and likely wouldn't go outside of August.

I went to Scotland on my own back in August 96 and it's still the best vacation I've ever had, although my freedom of movement as a solo traveler allowed much of that (like filling out a foursome on the Old Course with no reservation). Met up with a bunch of people at the Fringe and had a grand old time almost every night (I was 40 and recently divorced and people couldn't have been friendlier).

AirBnB wasn't around back then, but I stayed in a BnB about a mile south of City Center, but it was easily walkable and safe. I assume it still is.

Reaction Score
I hope you're going in August as Edinburgh is amazing then with the Tattoo, Fringe and Arts festivals all happening simultaneously. I can't imagine it any other way and likely wouldn't go outside of August.

I went to Scotland on my own back in August 96 and it's still the best vacation I've ever had, although my freedom of movement as a solo traveler allowed much of that (like filling out a foursome on the Old Course with no reservation). Met up with a bunch of people at the Fringe and had a grand old time almost every night (I was 40 and recently divorced and people couldn't have been friendlier).

AirBnB wasn't around back then, but I stayed in a BnB about a mile south of City Center, but it was easily walkable and safe. I assume it still is.
Yeah I’m going in August. Very excited for the Tattoo.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yeah I’m going in August. Very excited for the Tattoo.

Hopefully your trip coincides with one of the weekends when they shoot fireworks from the castle with the Edinburgh Symphony playing down below. Quite the imagery. And do go see a Fringe show or two or three. US comics often play there and tix are cheap. If this is one of the years when Rich Hall plays the Fringe, don't miss it.

Reaction Score
Hopefully your trip coincides with one of the weekends when they shoot fireworks from the castle with the Edinburgh Symphony playing down below. Quite the imagery. And do go see a Fringe show or two or three. US comics often play there and tix are cheap. If this is one of the years when Rich Hall plays the Fringe, don't miss it.
Thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I love the city. Plenty of hotels to choose from but prices will be high at that time. The city is very walkable. It’s probably in my top 3 cities I’ve ever been to. We went for the second time last June.

If you’re a Scotch drinker at all, head to Cadenheads on the Royal Mile, near the bottom. It’s fantastic and seems like it’s straight out of “Diagon Alley”. The living cask Scotches are a great bargain.

Are you going anywhere else in the country? I love the Isle of Skye. I also find the area around Loch Ness to be truly beautiful.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If you’re a Scotch drinker at all, head to Cadenheads on the Royal Mile, near the bottom. It’s fantastic and seems like it’s straight out of “Diagon Alley”. The living cask Scotches are a great bargain.

I picked up a handful of interesting scotches at Cadenheads that I'd never experience otherwise... and in convenient to pack 3oz airplane bottles to boot. Great recommendation. Forgot about that place.

And as far as scenery, can't beat driving through the Grampians. There's hardly any development there, just lush green mountains and sheep for miles.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom