OT: - Eddie Sutton dies at 84 | The Boneyard

OT: Eddie Sutton dies at 84

Reaction Score
One of the legends of college basketball has passed away.

I remember him from his days at Oklahoma St. I did not know he coached at San Francisco.

Was he towards the bottom of the list of Top 25 all-time college coaches? Maybe even Top 15?? He had his issues at Kentucky but revived Ok St and brought a team, led by Big Country (lol) Reeves to the final four in 1995, 1 of 2 he made it to with Ok St and 4 overall in his coaching career. He has over 800 wins and made the tourney in 14 of the 17 years he coached at Ok St. Sadly, past issues eventually caught up to him in 2006, which led to a short stint at SF which I never knew about.

Overall,
4 final fours (1 with Creighton, 1 with Arkansas, 2 with Ok St.)
3 elite 8s
6 sweet 16s
806-326 overall record (806 good for 8th all-time, 71 behind college balls GOAT Mr. Calhoun)

He made it quite far often but could never quite get over the hump and is perhaps one of the best not to win it all. Although he did lose in the 1st or 2nd round 13 times in his career he coached some great talents.

(Final edit: Sadly UConn never played against a Sutton led team, would have been interesting, especially when they were doing well under Sutton, right when the 90s started up until the mid 2000s).

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Final edit: Sadly UConn never played against a Sutton led team, would have been interesting, especially when they were doing well under Sutton, right when the 90s started up until the mid 2000s.
They almost did in 2004. But OSU didn't complete the job and lost to Ga Tech in the FF Semis. OSU had the best visiting fans I ever ran into (Sparty worst). We were at Dick's in SA watching the OSU-GT game and it was packed with Cowboys fans. We were having a great time with them until it let slip that we had a ticket to the game. "You could be at the game, why are you watching it here?" "Because they don't sell beer" didn't carry much sway to them so we had to get going.

Reaction Score
They almost did in 2004. But OSU didn't complete the job and lost to Ga Tech in the FF Semis. OSU had the best visiting fans I ever ran into (Sparty worst). We were at Dick's in SA watching the OSU-GT game and it was packed with Cowboys fans. We were having a great time with them until it let slip that we had a ticket to the game. "You could be at the game, why are you watching it here?" "Because they don't sell beer" didn't carry much sway to them so we had to get going.
What I remember most about the OSU fans is that I never knew orange went so well with blonde.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
One of the "old school" coaches who got it
His teams would run through a brick wall for Sutton
His induction into the HoF was long overdue
RIP

Reaction Score
That OSU team scared the crap out of me. They were a rough, experienced, physical, Pitt-like team with Tony Allen as a fantastic perimeter defender and scorer and a bunch of other athletes who at least had a cup of coffee in the NBA (5 total guys played minutes in the NBA).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom