Ed Daigneault‏ Says No Recent Talks Between UConn and ACC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ed Daigneault‏ Says No Recent Talks Between UConn and ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know beggars can't be choosers, but I really wish UConn was heading to the B1G. I have ill feelings towards the ACC from the past few years.

Meh. Syracuse, Pitt, VT, Miami, BC -- it's the conference we thought we were getting in the beginning.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Neither Ed nor templescoop are legitimate sources IMO. Wetzel, though a mouse, is admittedly a much better source. He says that the ACC will either stand pat or add UConn.

I am saying that there's a chance.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
In order for UConn and the ACC to have had discussions, the ACC would have had to know that Maryland was on the way out.

Reaction Score
In order for UConn and the ACC to have had discussions, the ACC would have had to know that Maryland was on the way out.
They're saying it is no surprise. Makes sense since the B1G couldn't lure ND.

Reaction Score
I agree, Rutty is having a good day, even though they will be a doormat.

I know beggars can't be choosers, but I really wish UConn was heading to the B1G. I have ill feelings towards the ACC from the past few years.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
I agree, Rutty is having a good day, even though they will be a doormat.

"I agree, Rutty is having a good day, even though they will (CONTINUE TO) be a doormat."

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Now Rutgers Football twitter (no idea who that is) claims he is hearing that UConn and Acc are talking. Why can't I hear that?

Reaction Score
Well, the Chicago Tribune is quoting Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbick as saying he's not surprised by maryland to the B10 just by the timing of it. That's a pretty good source.

Reaction Score
If this Maryland/Rutgers thing happens, logic only dictates UConn would be the replacement. I don't think it's realistic that the ACC stays with an odd number of football teams. So they have to take someone. The only possible options seem like UConn and Louisville. And Louisville does not fit the academic profile of the ACC. I have no insider source, but I'd be shocked if it was not UConn. I don't see anyone else making sense.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
You mean that a conference commissioner would/should know he has teams leaving his league before ESPN reports it as a done deal? Mr. Marinatto begs to differ.

Well, at risk of defending Marinatto, if Maryland and Rutgers bolt for the Big10 and kick off a new wave of realignment even while we have brought on board arguably the league's most competent leader of all time (Aresco), then it just goes to show that leadership has little to do with it. Money seems to have a lot to do with it, though...

Reaction Score
I like the way Notre Dame has only been in the ACC for 2 months, yet they all ready seem to be have appointed theirselves spokeman for the conference. "Well you, know, we kind of expected Maryland to leave, but we're just disappointed in the timing. Actually, we were going to suggest they leave." It didn't take long for there to be negative repercussions to making a deal with the devil. There are all ready teams leaving.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I like the way Notre Dame has only been in the ACC for 2 months, yet they all ready seem to be have appointed theirselves spokeman for the conference. "Well you, know, we kind of expected Maryland to leave, but we're just disappointed in the timing. Actually, we were going to suggest they leave." It didn't take long for there to be negative repercussions to making a deal with the devil. There are all ready teams leaving.

I have not been involved in any ACC talks. I am not surprised that Maryland is leaving. They voted against increasing the exit fee. If you are Maryland the only reason to do that would be.... because you are either exiting or trying to exit.

Reaction Score
Here I go again.- starting to dream about the ACC again. The same ACC that has broken my heart twice by gutting my conference and leaving me with the rubble. I don't want the B10, they have Michigan and OState and everyone else is 2nd fiddle. This will be the case forever and I don't see it changing now that Penn State has fallen.

I also have no interest in travelling west (and or North) for games. I want to go South and travel to NC and Florida. I want to play my old friends Syr, BC, Pitt and ND. I want to play basketball against Dook and UNC!

Crap, now I'm getting excited...again. Double crap.

Reaction Score
"I agree, Rutty is having a good day, even though they will (CONTINUE TO) be a doormat."

Yes, because being 9-1, and 5-0 in conference in first place in the league and ranked in the top 20 is the definition of being a doormat.

Reaction Score
Here I go again.- starting to dream about the ACC again. The same ACC that has broken my heart twice by gutting my conference and leaving me with the rubble. I don't want the B10, they have Michigan and OState and everyone else is 2nd fiddle. This will be the case forever and I don't see it changing now that Penn State has fallen.

I also have no interest in travelling west (and or North) for games. I want to go South and travel to NC and Florida. I want to play my old friends Syr, BC, Pitt and ND. I want to play basketball against Dook and UNC!

I will gladly go to the first conf that invites uconn. South north west heck I'd go east to Germany again at this point if that meant we played in a conf comprised of peer universities

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
The thing that has me slightly less excited about the ACC now is that Rutgers and Maryland won't be there. For football, those would be two schools in driving distance where it would be fun to go with one of Phalen's bus tailgates. Without them there's still Cuse and BC, but Pitt is too far to drive... so we'd potentially go from two drivable road games a year to one. Not a deciding factor of course... just an observation.

Reaction Score
Well, at risk of defending Marinatto, if Maryland and Rutgers bolt for the Big10 and kick off a new wave of realignment even while we have brought on board arguably the league's most competent leader of all time (Aresco), then it just goes to show that leadership has little to do with it. Money seems to have a lot to do with it, though...
Sadly, Aresco came along too late. He didn't have much to work with when he got here. Tranghese and Marinatto on the other hand just blew it at every turn.

Reaction Score

Not in the same camp.
1.Want no part of the all carpetbagger conference. Tried to destroy the Big East on multiple occasions. About travelling to Florida: don't bank on it. Maryland leaves & FSU is out the door as fast as you can say SEC or Big-12. I've had enough of the Leprechauns feeling that they're too good to join a conference for football & don't want that albatross around UConn's neck.
2. The B1G is a more cultural fit for UConn.(Mostly a collection of major state public institutions). Their athletics also mirror UConn's. But the real advantages of joining the B1G are twofold. First & foremost is the monetary distribution to B1G members by the Big Ten Network. It's such an advantage that the SEC is seriously considering starting their own in-house network. It's something that the ACC can't (as long as ESPN controls their apron strings) match. Secondly is the CIC academic consortium, which would jive with Pres. Herbst's commitment to UConn drastically increasing it research capabilities.
For all the discussion over the years about increasing the football fanbase & expanding the RENT, I feel the admission to the B1G is a much better fit than admission to the ACC. We'll get more sellouts with help from B1G travelbases & attractiveness of competition thqan we could ever hope from from the ACC. Basketball is no slouch either,with traditional powers Wisconsin, Indiana, MSU, Purdue, Iowa, & even the Wolverines.
I'm thinking the ACC will be a shell of itself once realignment is complete with the move to Big 4 x 16 team conferences. They're living on borrowed time, & Big East fans have been living that nightmare for the last decade.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The thing that has me slightly less excited about the ACC now is that Rutgers and Maryland won't be there. For football, those would be two schools in driving distance where it would be fun to go with one of Phalen's bus tailgates. Without them there's still Cuse and BC, but Pitt is too far to drive... so we'd potentially go from two drivable road games a year to one. Not a deciding factor of course... just an observation.

While it's true the ACC is less attractive than it was a couple years ago. Not having RU or MD has nothing to do with it. It has everything to do with them bow being the fifth wheel of a FB conference and potentially losing access to the playoff. Now they're champ needs to go undefeated. They are still a far sight better than the NNBE because of the Orange Bowl (even a discounted one), $$$., the old BE rivals, hoops, and it's still more stable than the NNBE.

B1G is the best slot but, even an ACC minus MD, Clemson and FSU is an upgrade.

Also, at what point do we stop using the BE name. In case anyone hasn't noticed there are no original BE FB teams left should RU leave.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Not in the same camp.
1.Want no part of the all carpetbagger conference. Tried to destroy the Big East on multiple occasions. About travelling to Florida: don't bank on it. Maryland leaves & FSU is out the door as fast as you can say SEC or Big-12. I've had enough of the Leprechauns feeling that they're too good to join a conference for football & don't want that albatross around UConn's neck.
2. The B1G is a more cultural fit for UConn.(Mostly a collection of major state public institutions). Their athletics also mirror UConn's. But the real advantages of joining the B1G are twofold. First & foremost is the monetary distribution to B1G members by the Big Ten Network. It's such an advantage that the SEC is seriously considering starting their own in-house network. It's something that the ACC can't (as long as ESPN controls their apron strings) match. Secondly is the CIC academic consortium, which would jive with Pres. Herbst's commitment to UConn drastically increasing it research capabilities.
For all the discussion over the years about increasing the football fanbase & expanding the RENT, I feel the admission to the B1G is a much better fit than admission to the ACC. We'll get more sellouts with help from B1G travelbases & attractiveness of competition thqan we could ever hope from from the ACC. Basketball is no slouch either,with traditional powers Wisconsin, Indiana, MSU, Purdue, Iowa, & even the Wolverines.
I'm thinking the ACC will be a shell of itself once realignment is complete with the move to Big 4 x 16 team conferences. They're living on borrowed time, & Big East fans have been living that nightmare for the last decade.

They would have to invite us first.

Reaction Score
Um, Thunderchickens?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Well, the Chicago Tribune is quoting Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbick as saying he's not surprised by maryland to the B10 just by the timing of it. That's a pretty good source.
I would argue he is making that statement that nothing surprises him as opposed to he knew in advance Maryland's plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom