ECU Postgame | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ECU Postgame

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I predict the 1st post titled, "Who will be the 5th starter?" will pop up within 48 hrs after the end of the season. :confused:
Nah, you will post it right after our final game.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reaction Score
You are kidding she (Blair Schaeffer) just graduated last year?? SNY sign her up before she's locked in at ESPN or CBSports.
I think she'll be an assistant coach somewhere soon. After watching how she played the last couple of years, she seems to have the poise, pedigree, energy, and drive to be successful quickly.

Any Lady Vol fans reading? ;)

Reaction Score
This was ECU. They are short, and not very good. We murdered them on the boards because they just aren’t tall enough to play with us. We scored 118 points and beat them by 63 last time we played. Hope today’s game doesn’t give anyone a false sense of confidence.

Reaction Score
I guess for those who are not UConn fans having MW, CW, ONO, with AG coming in does not look like reason to climb out on the ledge.

it's a good foundation but the bench is awfully short...............if UConn can some how come up with a mobile defending/rebounding forward and another outside shooter they will be just fine............

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This was ECU. They are short, and not very good. We murdered them on the boards because they just aren’t tall enough to play with us. We scored 118 points and beat them by 63 last time we played. Hope today’s game doesn’t give anyone a false sense of confidence.

I thought ECU played very well today....................they made a bunch of tough shots and were poised for most of the game..............I doubt Geno is going to allow the team to be fooled into thinking the next few games are going to be a cake walk..................

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
A few reasons for optimism today. Slowish start against a surprisingly solid shooting ECU team, but the third and fourth quarters looked very good, with Liv and CW looking like the outstanding freshman class that we hoped for.

I was at the ECU/SMU game yesterday and they sucked. Thye had 22 points at the half - and the lead. SMU was the better team (I'm not sure the coach was). They got off to a cold start but ECU hung on to win. Today ECU shot nearly 50% in the 1st half compared to <25% yesterday. Talk about playing up to the opponent. In the end talent won out.

The only reason the game wasn't a 50 point blowout was that UConn couldn't find the basket from outside.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Kudos to Blair S. for not mentioning Morgan William once.

Do rich donors log on in chat during games? Clearly thought the team wasn't playing up to their standards. Sometimes other teams can hit their 3s; it's not as if the UConn team defense was like Golden State without Klay Thompson. UConn can't afford to gamble in the first half missing one starter and a shorter bench.

Danger's 3 pt shooting was about her average, but CW's and MW's percentage seems to have regressed from earlier in the season and the misses energize the opposing team's transition game. On the other hand, Pheesa got one and her FTs were above average in this game.

Olivia gets better in every game -- rebounding was a pleasant surprise -- but ECU is a small team. S. Florida is a little bigger. And Baylor is really big. Games like this seem to feed her confidence.

Regarding the upcoming game: S Florida's Tamara Henshaw hurt her knee in the afternoon game. She was able to play after a break, but it was clearly affecting her. They'll probably rely on Alyssa Rader to guard the paint -- she has a big body -- she could probably push ONO around, but she was foul prone it appears. Sydni Harvey, a freshman off the bench, is someone to watch out for; she was scoring every which way -- AAC version of Chelsea Dungee. Noticed Shea and Jasmine scouting the S Florida - Houston game. UConn seems to be getting more comfortable playing without KLS, so hopefully their play will improve from the recent regular season game.

Reaction Score
Thought Blair stumbled from time to time, but incredibly well briefed. The other announcer made some horrid mistakes throughout the game (i.e. "UConn has stocked up for the future").
He also said Molly would be a superstar at most other schools.lost ALL credibility with that one.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
There are plenty of words for posts like this, fortunately the BY bans them!!!!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Biggest applause of the day - when Samuelson walked out for shoot around. :)

It looked like she was wearing some sort of compression back support. I thought she was moving a bit gingerly but I saw her dancing a bit during one of the time outs.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Kudos to Blair S. for not mentioning Morgan William once.

Do rich donors log on in chat during games? Clearly thought the team wasn't playing up to their standards. Sometimes other teams can hit their 3s; it's not as if the UConn team defense was like Golden State without Klay Thompson. UConn can't afford to gamble in the first half missing one starter and a shorter bench.

Danger's 3 pt shooting was about her average, but CW's and MW's percentage seems to have regressed from earlier in the season and the misses energize the opposing team's transition game. On the other hand, Pheesa got one and her FTs were above average in this game.

Olivia gets better in every game -- rebounding was a pleasant surprise -- but ECU is a small team. S. Florida is a little bigger. And Baylor is really big. Games like this seem to feed her confidence.

Regarding the upcoming game: S Florida's Tamara Henshaw hurt her knee in the afternoon game. She was able to play after a break, but it was clearly affecting her. They'll probably rely on Alyssa Rader to guard the paint -- she has a big body -- she could probably push ONO around, but she was foul prone it appears. Sydni Harvey, a freshman off the bench, is someone to watch out for; she was scoring every which way -- AAC version of Chelsea Dungee. Noticed Shea and Jasmine scouting the S Florida - Houston game. UConn seems to be getting more comfortable playing without KLS, so hopefully their play will improve from the recent regular season game.

Since we have season tickets to USF's game, I'll fill you in.

First Sydni Harvey start the season as the point guard. After Laksa went down in November, Harvey became the teams leading scorer along with Enna Pehadzic. In early February, she hit her head and was put under concussion protocols. She just came back a few games ago. Her scoring today is not a surprise and UConn knows her ability.

Alyssa Radar also was under concussion protocol and missed at least five games in February. She is a big girl. Good technique on rebounding and she can run the floor. She is not quick around the basket. Beware for Radar can burn you from 3 point range. Henshaw would be a loss. Very good 8 to 10 foot jumper. Tough defender. Leverrette is the other big. She is capable of having a big game but can be foul prone. Don't fall asleep on the other two guards, freshman Elisa Pinzan and sophomore Pehadzic. Both are good outside shooter and can drive the lane.

USF is a guard oriented offense. They are disciplined on both ends of the floor. And they are smart ball players. USF has some team speed but we are faster and quicker.

I expect Olivia will hold her ground against any of USF's bigs. The tallest is 6' 2".

And a reminder, the last game with USF was the first game without Lou. It was also Senior night for USF. Emotions were flowing for USF that night. But by late in the third quarter, USF had run out of steam.

Reaction Score
Some points:

I thought Megan had a poor game. Her shot selection in the first half was questionable.

It was fun watching CW in the fourth quarter, but where was she in the first half?

It's really fun watching Liv do anything. She played almost the whole game.

Crystal didn't have that great of a game.

The lack of good three-point shooting this late in the season is alarming. There's time still to get going, but they have to have that to go very far.

Blair did well--very impressed. The thing I liked best was that she didn't go on any long rants about somebody's sick dog or such.

As per usual, the play-by-play guy failed to note who a foul was called on at several key times.

Nine of Molly's 18 baskets this year from three. Shades of Lou.
Not sure what is bothering Crystal (i.e. wrist?). A step slow on defense and too amped on offense.

Reaction Score
Wonder if Geno would ever consider hiring a Defensive Coach. Tired of watching opposition drive down the middle and quick guards consistently blowing by UConn defenders. We no longer have an offense that can offset an average defense.

Reaction Score
I think she'll be an assistant coach somewhere soon. After watching how she played the last couple of years, she seems to have the poise, pedigree, energy, and drive to be successful quickly.

Any Lady Vol fans reading? ;)
Future UConn Intern?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
A couple of thoughts on the game today:

- Pheesa picked a good day to go for 37
- How about Liv tying the tournament single-game record with 17 rebounds? She was an absolute beast today on the boards and defending the paint.
- Christyn’s behind the back, bounce pass to Crystal shows me she’s picking up some serious Showtime habits from her backcourt running mate.
- Blair Schaefer did a nice job as the color commentator for the game. Considering she’s only 1 year out of college, she demonstrated great maturity, poise and preparation. I wouldn’t expect anything else from Vic’s little girl.
Extra plus for the Blair Schaefer comment. How could she not be good at anything she puts her mind to considering her father?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Wonder if Geno would ever consider hiring a Defensive Coach. Tired of watching opposition drive down the middle and quick guards consistently blowing by UConn defenders. We no longer have an offense that can offset an average defense.

Do you think Auriemma doesn't know how to teach defense?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom