Economics of Women's basketball | The Boneyard

Economics of Women's basketball

Reaction Score
All,

Why do the women players make so much more money in Europe (and Australia?) than they do in the WNBA?

Is there so much more interest in women's basketball in Europe that it draws many more fans, which allows the teams to pay the players so much more?

I get that women's basketball is a bit of a niche sport compared to baseball, football, and men's basketball. It is something of an acquired taste. (I myself find men's basketball boring.)

Thoughts?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
No. European WBB does not draw more than the WNBA. In fact in most cases it is less and much less. The reasons/economics are not simple.

"Some teams, like most of the teams in Russia, are funded by the municipal governments to serve as a source of local pride. Others, like those in Turkey, are attached to very lucrative men’s soccer clubs." Barker: For WNBA players, the real money is overseas

Some teams have corporate sponsors who regard the teams as great advertising.

Diana can tell you how great it was to have a Russian oligarch as a proverbial sugar daddy.

It is a perverse source of frustration to many in the WNBA that the best players in the world in the best league in the world are paid so little. IMO endless complaining about that does not help.

Reaction Score
We'll soon learn a lot more about the economics of the sport, because it's likely that the WNBA players association will exercise their option to leave the collective bargaining agreement by the end of this month. That will bring out a lot of data, arguments, and negotiations.

I suspect that the truth will begin to come out, whatever that truth is.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
No. European WBB does not draw more than the WNBA. In fact in most cases it is less and much less. The reasons/economics are not simple.

"Some teams, like most of the teams in Russia, are funded by the municipal governments to serve as a source of local pride. Others, like those in Turkey, are attached to very lucrative men’s soccer clubs." Barker: For WNBA players, the real money is overseas

Diana can tell you how great it was to have a Russian oligarch as a proverbial sugar daddy.

It is a perverse source of frustration to many in the WNBA that the best players in the world in the best league in the world are paid so little. IMO endless complaining about that does not help.[/QUOTE

Which all proves that the American oligarchs; those that own WNBA teams are less interested than their European counterparts in providing fair (whatever that is) wages if they can simply use the market as their excuse to keep pay at low levels.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
(and Australia?)

Nope. A very niche market. As recently as 2009 players were making $5-10K a season and working 2 jobs. A small market and it lost it's TV contract a year or so ago. It is a stepping stone to international play for some. Still, it attracts some very good WNBA talent.

Reaction Score
We'll soon learn a lot more about the economics of the sport, because it's likely that the WNBA players association will exercise their option to leave the collective bargaining agreement by the end of this month. That will bring out a lot of data, arguments, and negotiations.

I suspect that the truth will begin to come out, whatever that truth is.
Good article on current status of CBA:

CBA opt-out deadline looms for WNBA, players' union

- In addition to the players, the WNBA also has the option to opt out by 10/31
- WNBA won't comment on whether they are considering this (not surprising given they currently have no president/CEO)
- Players have already voted, voting ended 10/21
- Players studied information provided by the league (hmmmm...) on the WNBA's business model.
- Votes are being certified, then results will be given to CBA committee (35 players led by Nneka), then to the players at large, then to the WNBA

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
A lot of the European teams are also part of 'Athletic Clubs' that included men's basketball and men's soccer teams (Turkish teams in particular.) Most of the women's teams are not profitable, and in some cases teams and whole leagues have gone bankrupt in mid-season.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
While it probably merits its own thread when the time comes (the WNBA CBA issues), I must say that I find it hard to believe that there are enormous sums of money "really" there and waiting to be distributed.

I don't believe that the WNBA can supply salaries to the women's players that are comparable to other major sports or markets and no where near what they are arguably worth, all the while taking a toll on their bodies. As much as I enjoy the WNBA as a "thing", I think the time has come to consider folding, rather than continuing what so many seem to view as financial abuse of the players. The support just isn't there. A fact I really, really think is sad.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As to size of audience (forget paying audience) check out the season's game involving Stewie's Kursk team:

Like a HS gym.

Reaction Score
Generally the WNBA has just been a showcase for players in their negotiations with over seas teams. If they do well in the WNBA it improves their market value for the over seas teams. None of it reflects their actual supply and demand value though. Very little public market value either over seas or in the USA.

Actually the value of the WNBA is fueled and dictated by the fans of Women's College Basketball. Fans of the college game follow their players to the pro's. How well the WCBB teams draw would be one indicator of how popular the WNBA realistically can expect to be. How many teams in WCBB produce a profit compared to how many need to be carried by the major income producing sports like football and mens basketball.

If the womens college teams were not affiliated with the college, how many fans would be sitting in the stands during games. Probably far less than are presently there. That is the true market value of womens basketball. People need to remember the parable of " The goose that laid the golden eggs"and not end up killing the goose.

Reaction Score
It seems obvious but if the women want to be paid more they need to increase their market value. That is presently totally dependent on tv money. The media is choosing not to invest in the WNBA. The only other option is to get more investment from private sources.

Reaction Score
Give the whole deal (WNBA) to Nike to manage, negotiate TV, marketing, etc. I suspect they'd be able to take a longer term look at payback without it doing much to hurt their bottom line.

Reaction Score
Generally the WNBA has just been a showcase for players in their negotiations with over seas teams. If they do well in the WNBA it improves their market value for the over seas teams. None of it reflects their actual supply and demand value though. Very little public market value either over seas or in the USA.

Actually the value of the WNBA is fueled and dictated by the fans of Women's College Basketball. Fans of the college game follow their players to the pro's. How well the WCBB teams draw would be one indicator of how popular the WNBA realistically can expect to be. How many teams in WCBB produce a profit compared to how many need to be carried by the major income producing sports like football and mens basketball.

If the womens college teams were not affiliated with the college, how many fans would be sitting in the stands during games. Probably far less than are presently there. That is the true market value of womens basketball. People need to remember the parable of " The goose that laid the golden eggs"and not end up killing the goose.
It would be interesting to understand how many fans of women's college basketball go to WNBA games. I have been to many UConn and other college games in the past but never to a WNBA game. Not sure why but don't feel the same attachment to WNBA style of play and players.

Reaction Score

It is a perverse source of frustration to many in the WNBA that the best players in the world in the best league in the world are paid so little. IMO endless complaining about that does not help.
All good points. Professional sports and its ties to advertising and

Reaction Score
All good points. Professional sports and its ties to advertising and
Sorry, never finished previous note. European professional sports much different than US. Not unusual to see sports including water polo, track, etc. having pro teams not based at all on ticket sales but 99% funded on an advertising model. Salaries combined with living expenses typically similar or in the case of big names like DT, significantly better financially. Unless the WNBA can figure out a way to gain advertising revenues, their current efforts are unlikely to succeed and may in fact be backfiring.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It would be interesting to understand how many fans of women's college basketball go to WNBA games. I have been to many UConn and other college games in the past but never to a WNBA game. Not sure why but don't feel the same attachment to WNBA style of play and players.
For the most part I do not find WNBA games to be all that interesting. A notable exception was last years Seattle/Phoenix games which were incredibly entertaining. The Bird/Taurasi match up reminded me of the Bird/Magic match ups. Just great competitors each willing their teams to win. Championship series was good Diana versus Sue was amazing.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

The nearest WNBA franchises are about a 5 hour drive away from me. When there was a franchise in Charlotte.... I went to a handful of games. Obviously its easier to become attached to a team when its down the road. These days... I just root for Duke players an hope the teams they play on do well.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The nearest WNBA franchises are about a 5 hour drive away from me. When there was a franchise in Charlotte.... I went to a handful of games. Obviously its easier to become attached to a team when its down the road. These days... I just root for Duke players an hope the teams they play on do well.

Yup, my interest centers on UConn players in the WNBA. Of course, I have a wider field than you do triad. :oops::rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I don't enjoy the WNBA style of play. To my amateur's eye, it is much less elegant than the best college teams: UConn (of course), ND, and Stanford.

But, to be clear, I don't enjoy the NBA either.

Reaction Score

Absolutely you are correct Europe has locally funded men's basketball teams as an extension of their manlyness, local pride. Then there is the different manner in which European women have been seen vs the Southern Bell mentality annexed by Yankees. During the late 1800's and up past 1960's the USA had the idea women were to be protected. Europe put women in their armies but not the USA. Chauvinistic this America. So Women everything (the exception was the medical, scientific, professional communities) was slow in evolution. Gamblers, Colleges, Schools, etc were dragged kicking and screaming to give women real teams and they are still playing catch-up. Women's sports (BB, Soccer, Softball) are catching on. Remember JD Rockerfella passed out pennies not dollars--frugal these American businesses.
Isn't it interesting that the same country that produced the Conestoga Wagon women couldn't see how tough they really were?

Reaction Score

A simple test--watch regular season games (WNBA) and look in the stands. Then compare that to the top 10 or 25 College teams attendance. Or if you are like Rocky just look up the attendance records. I have a feeling CWBB wins

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A simple test--watch regular season games (WNBA) and look in the stands. Then compare that to the top 10 or 25 College teams attendance. Or if you are like Rocky just look up the attendance records. I have a feeling CWBB wins

You knew I'd be compelled to look it up. Actually just 7 Div I schools exceed the WNBA average game attendance figure (down to 6721 this past season). The schools are here: Attendance at Women's Basketball Games: The Top 20 in Division I

Reaction Score
My comments were meant for saving the WNBA . Personally I believe that the amount of money paid to pro athletes is ridiculous. Why should pro men or women expect to be paid millions. I think it is obscene to pay athletes that amount of money to play a game. Just saying

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom