East Hartford’s Rentschler Field needs $63 million upgrade, new study says. ‘like walking into a time capsule’ | Page 8 | The Boneyard

East Hartford’s Rentschler Field needs $63 million upgrade, new study says. ‘like walking into a time capsule’

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You still haven't proven that a Storrs stadium, that realistically will never happen for reasons that have been explained ad nauseum, turns us into a winning program. Sure, a stadium on campus is a nice romantic notion, but it ain't gonna happen nor will it make any difference. And Storrs isn't Ann Arbor.
Lol, and why exactly do I have to do that? That’s your strawman argument. It would be like me saying “you still haven’t proven that keeping us in East Hartford turns us into a winning program.” It’s a meaningless statement. You understand that right?

Oh, oh, how about this one? Storrs isn't Ann Arbor. There is a stadium in Ann Arbor.

The Young And The Restless Joke GIF by CBS

Reaction Score
You still haven't proven that a Storrs stadium, that realistically will never happen for reasons that have been explained ad nauseum, turns us into a winning program. Sure, a stadium on campus is a nice romantic notion, but it ain't gonna happen nor will it make any difference. And Storrs isn't Ann Arbor.
No one said the stadium would make the program win, but you haven't proven that it wouldn't.

Sure would be nice though.

Sanford Stadium

1663344439584.png

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
And Storrs isn't Ann Arbor.

Nor is it Nantucket. Storrs is lonely, it needs a beautiful stadium to fill its woods and fields. When? Put the plans together and then lets see where alignment leads us by 2030 or so. The great reorg of the ACC should be underway about 2-4 years before the end of the ACC deal and we should have a stadium plan on hand if it helps.

Reaction Score
I didn’t reward the whole report, but the summary leads me to think that this is really just normal capital planning. The building is 20 years old and systems need to be replaced as they reach the end of their useful life. And unless you’ve been asleep for the last 20 years, the concept that technology for certain equipment like video has changed dramatically shouldn’t really come as a shock. And this isn’t saying you need to spend 63 million next week. It sets out a 5 year plan. It is actually pretty similar to what any significant real estate owner would do. The problem, of course, is that: a. It will turn into a referendum on UConn and UConn football as opposed to a discussion of protecting the state’s investment in a significant facility, and b. They will likely try to do it on the cheap Which will result in XL center conditions sooner than would have been necessary.

Reaction Score
What kind of stadium do you think you will get for $63M?

Hey if you can get the state to pony up $300M+ for a stadium on campus then I’m on board.

But that’s not happening so welcome back to reality.
I think Lamont would do it, he’s behind the football program 100%. There’s a lot of ways to raise that kind of money when looked at as an investment, bond offerings, funding drives, donations, etc., and it’s money well spent, a 70,000 or 80,000 seat stadium will sell a lot of tickets and attract alot of recruits, and not just for football.

Reaction Score
Just amazed at the numbers thrown around for the cost of an on-campus stadium. UABs new stadium was $188 million for 47,000 seating capacity and South Alabama's cost $78 million for ~25K capacity. Numbers I saw to increase South Alabama's capacity to 40K was another $40 million. I realize that labor is cheaper in Alabama, but $100-200 millon more seems crazy.

008.jpg

Reaction Score
I would encourage Boneyard members to take a drive on Discovery Drive. It is just past Northwest residence halls. It is location of Innovation Partnership Building. The road is wide and heads to Route 44. Plenty of room for a football stadium there. If they construct some meeting rooms as part of the stadium would fit well with the research park's mission where corporations are putting university-affiliated research centers,
building.jpg

Reaction Score
.. and its not on campus:

This cost $200MM and opened in 2010. What does that equate to in 2022 dollars?

As much as we think we understand the inflated costs of things in the Northeast it's not until we leave that we really get it.

The General Contractor that built our house got to a point where anytime he discussed a cost with me he would always follow up with "That includes everything" because he got so used to me asking "What else?" during the process.

The "grift" that comes with doing anything in the Northeast is enormous and there is no way around it. I may be wrong, but I don't think we are building an on campus stadium for less than $350 - $400MM once the project is completed.

Reaction Score
I would encourage Boneyard members to take a drive on Discovery Drive. It is just past Northwest residence halls. It is location of Innovation Partnership Building. The road is wide and heads to Route 44. Plenty of room for a football stadium there.
Just buy Mansfield Supply property and have @ it...

Reaction Score
I didn’t reward the whole report, but the summary leads me to think that this is really just normal capital planning. The building is 20 years old and systems need to be replaced as they reach the end of their useful life. And unless you’ve been asleep for the last 20 years, the concept that technology for certain equipment like video has changed dramatically shouldn’t really come as a shock. And this isn’t saying you need to spend 63 million next week. It sets out a 5 year plan. It is actually pretty similar to what any significant real estate owner would do. The problem, of course, is that: a. It will turn into a referendum on UConn and UConn football as opposed to a discussion of protecting the state’s investment in a significant facility, and b. They will likely try to do it on the cheap Which will result in XL center conditions sooner than would have been necessary.
Yeah maybe, but I’m not so sure. I mean why spend $63 million to fix up an old rusty Pontiac? Build and design something new. It costs more but so what.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yeah, that whole “free land in East Hartford“ always struck me as being meaningless since there are three sites in Storrs that are suitable for a stadium and are already owned by the University. For what it’s worth they still exist. They are the Separatist Tract, Horsebarn Hill, and the Mansfield Training property. Of the three I prefer the Separatist Tract as the most logical. That way the parking for the football stadium could also be used for the baseball and hockey facility, and gamble for that matter. If you’ve ever been on the Penn State campus that’s the way they approach it and their athletic quarter is very nice.

I’m not sure what you mean when you say Gameday on campus was “pretty much done.“ There was a lot of energy as we headed into D1 status. Memorial stadium was packed.

As for the “downstaters argument“ I think that’s a little bit of revisionist history. No one was making that argument at the time, at least to my memory. Instead, the big argument was that Rentschler Field was going to be an economic engine for East Hartford. Now, 20 years later, there are a lot of people who say, I won’t travel 30 minutes further six times a year to go see a football game. I don’t know how accurate that actually is, but I find the entire debate to be largely pointless, except as it pertains to the extent of renovation to Rentschler field.

The useful life of a college football stadium is 30 years. Now, that’s not to say that they cannot be extended beyond that, the Yale bowl is a notable example. But those old sunken stone stadiums are better positioned to have their life extended indefinitely. Heck there are still amphitheater‘s in Sicily and Greece that are in use thousands of years later. so, if the useful life of the rent is 30 years, does it make sense to spend $64 million for improvements that will not extend its useful life? Sure, we can continue to Band-Aid it and patch it after that 30 years has passed, but then you get into an XL Center situation where you’re in a facility that nobody particularly likes and is grossly out of date. In my opinion, it makes sense to make the repairs necessary so that Rentschler field can be a successful venue through its useful life. In 10 years we can reevaluate the situation. Maybe, it’ll make the most sense to go to the XL Center route And keep on patching the thing as it grows increasingly more out of date. Maybe it’ll make more sense to build on campus. Maybe it will make the most sense to build a stadium next-door to the existing stadium. I don’t know. But this go round, I would perform those repairs necessary to keep the stadium functioning through its useful life. I would also tell the CRDA that if it continues to ignore routine maintenance, it will be disbanded. If there’s extra money, I’d rather see more seat backs put in, but that’s just me and I really don’t have a dog in this hunt since it’s not my tax dollars supporting it.
I said, or meant to say, they were getting game day right at Storrs. The off campus move messed that up. The drive time thing for down staters was used as a rationale for East Hartford. Unprovable. The complaint by a bunch of locals about a Mansfield location was mostly about traffic. That was bs because that would’ve mostly impacted a few hours tops before and after a game 6 or 7 days a year. That’s not to say using Rt 195 or 6, 32 or 44 wouldnt be a traffic jam if parking were next to an on campus place.

Probably all academic right now. I’d be surprised if anything is done to move from Rent anytime soon. Probably some or all of the recommended upgrades will be done. If the football program doesn’t become competitive in the next two years to where the Edsall 1 attendance begins to return, the issue will be not just be the facility.

CL82

Reaction Score

This cost $200MM and opened in 2010. What does that equate to in 2022 dollars?

As much as we think we understand the inflated costs of things in the Northeast it's not until we leave that we really get it.

The General Contractor that built our house got to a point where anytime he discussed a cost with me he would always follow up with "That includes everything" because he got so used to me asking "What else?" during the process.

The "grift" that comes with doing anything in the Northeast is enormous and there is no way around it. I may be wrong, but I don't think we are building an on campus stadium for less than $350 - $400MM once the project is completed.
Red Bull Arena is a semi covered, semi roof arena with 30 sky boxes and all chair backs built in Newark (Harrison?) Probably not and apples to apples comparison.

Reaction Score
Times change and so do perspectives. The same BC that blackballed our entry into the ACC now wants to establish regional rivalries and wants UConn to be among them. So too could the NIMBY crowd's reluctance to support an on-campus (or close to campus) stadium --and several of the other roadblocks may have lost their earlier fervor.

Lamont is a supporter of UConn football. Does the State really want to spend $63 plus million to prop up the wrong stadium in the wrong location, or does the Governor try to help initiate a huge real estate project for the East Hartford property which involves demolishing the Rent. The stadium in Storrs doesn't have to be a cost monstrosity. By building it more traditionally, without the open concourse, it might be doable for a still large, but more rational sum. To the extent there are rumblings of future inclusion into a P-5 conference (likely ACC) why not be like Rutgers and commit to a stadium that meets the moment. UConn should get with the Governor and announce a creative initiative with an eye towards establishing a new stadium in the vicinity of its campus. That'll get the blood pumping.

Reaction Score
Red Bull Arena is a semi covered, semi roof arena with 30 sky boxes and all chair backs built in Newark (Harrison?) Probably not and apples to apples comparison.

RBA is also a cheaply made metal stadium. It’s not exactly SoFi.

Reaction Score
It's also only has 25,000 seats and it cost $200MM 12 years ago.

Might it be a little on the "fancy" side? Maybe, but if you are going to build a new stadium in Storrs you are not going to take many shortcuts.

Dunkin Donuts Park Cost more than $70MM and its a 6000 seat minor league baseball stadium.

Hell, the Rent cost $100MM and it was built on a flat, level runway with major highways adjacent to it.

I'll stand by my belief that an on campus stadium, that is years from breaking ground if it were to ever happen, is a minimum of $350MM+

CL82

Reaction Score
I remember when there were threads calling to expand the Rent.
Some of those threads took place when we were having sellouts or near sell outs pretty consistently. At that particular moment in time, it made some sense.

CL82

Reaction Score
It's also only has 25,000 seats and it cost $200MM 12 years ago.

Might it be a little on the "fancy" side? Maybe, but if you are going to build a new stadium in Storrs you are not going to take many shortcuts.

Dunkin Donuts Park Cost more than $70MM and its a 6000 seat minor league baseball stadium.

Hell, the Rent cost $100MM and it was built on a flat, level runway with major highways adjacent to it.

I'll stand by my belief that an on campus stadium, that is years from breaking ground if it were to ever happen, is a minimum of $350MM+
I don’t know what the number would be, it’s definitely going to be more than $64 million. Heck our 2500 seat hockey arena cost $70 million.

Are people actually saying that we could build a football stadium for $64 million? If they are, I missed it. I have seen some people say don’t invest $64 million at Rentschler field if it’s useful life is only 10 more years. That’s not an outrageous position.

Minimally, I think you want to see how Jim Mora does. If football achieves competency again, and I believe it will, you can make a little bit more of an informed decision. If football is actually successful, i.e. more than merely competent, that will certainly inform the amount of money you want to invest in it.

Reaction Score
Lol, and why exactly do I have to do that? That’s your strawman argument. It would be like me saying “you still haven’t proven that keeping us in East Hartford turns us into a winning program.” It’s a meaningless statement. You understand that right?

Oh, oh, how about this one? Storrs isn't Ann Arbor. There is a stadium in Ann Arbor.

The Young And The Restless Joke GIF by CBS
You’re right it’s a meaningless argument. Keep beating the dead horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom