East Carolina Game Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

East Carolina Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Geno said in the post-game that he brought up the streak and told the team that in his eyes they were 14-0, but three players have been there for all 89. Isn't it four players? I was thinking all the juniors and seniors which is Gabby, Kia, TLaw, and Saniya.

Reaction Score
A very, VERY nice game for Butler. She needs a couple of these to get her mojo rolling.

If she can maintain this kind of groove, things will look pretty bright come Springtime!

Reaction Score
Signs of life from the reserves - nice way to end the game! Poor Crystal - shes really struggling though. She looks so different from earlier in the year. I wonder if she's still affected by the concussion.
I wonder how much of a Stewie-esque reaction to the competition this is. Also, if Saniya's surge is making her take a little step backwards.

No worries, though. She's a tough cookie.

Reaction Score
Poor situational awareness from Culmo. Butler for 2 and crowd goes wild. She says "...they like their Nat!" Maybe so, but the big cheer was for the free wings.
Halvesies; the crowd really got behind Butler in this game, and rightly so. I think people really want to see her do well. Of course, I am somewhat biased, but that is what I hear.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno said in the post-game that he brought up the streak and told the team that in his eyes they were 14-0, but three players have been there for all 89. Isn't it four players? I was thinking all the juniors and seniors which is Gabby, Kia, TLaw, and Saniya.
You are correct.

Reaction Score
Signs of life from the reserves - nice way to end the game! Poor Crystal - shes really struggling though. She looks so different from earlier in the year. I wonder if she's still affected by the concussion.

Yes, poor Crystal. No way possible to live up to the extraordinary expectations...

Reaction Score
I thought Bent had a nice game with three assists, one of which was a really sweet pass. She is showing some promise.

Reaction Score
I think it would help Butler immensely if Crystal Dangerfield wasn't hell bent on either throwing a rocket at her from 10 ft away or putting a pass that's at her knees.
Soft passes into the post doesn't sound like a good idea.

Reaction Score
Soft passes into the post doesn't sound like a good idea.
Neither does firing a missile in there or throwing the ball at her knees and ankles. She's a big girl. She's not going to be able to go below her waist to bring in a pass, and especially not in traffic. It needs to be anywhere from chest high to a foot above her head and she'll haul it in fine. You can make a soft pass into the post, just make sure it's up high where no one else can get it. Nat is going to be the tallest kid on the court most nights - they should be using that to their advantage more when she's on the court instead of bounce passing it into the post trying to thread the needle between multiple defenders. I liken Crystal's passes to that of a QB that has a rocket for an arm but receivers can't catch it even if it's on the money in terms of accuracy. You need to throw a catchable ball. Passes don't need to be thrown as hard as you can physically throw it. Crystal will learn how each of her teammates likes the ball over time.

Reaction Score
I would take a few more minutes from the starters and give more time to the bench. Tonight the starters played about 25 minutes each. You could trim that down to 21-23. The bench will get better with more game time.

I wouldn't quibble about a minute or two. Or a rare game play them quite a bit less but this unit - the core 4 - also needs work. And they are more important than the bench. None of the core 4 is a perfect player. They needs minutes too plus different combos etc.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Glad Geno let the benches to play in the 4Q ...should do this for the next 4 games.
May not be able to do it in the next game but I hope they have a big enough lead.

Reaction Score
Nat likely will play at an All League level. Not sure if any other American Conf team has a center as good. Feel bad for her that many on this Board only measure her against All Americans. Hopefully in league schedule will give her confidence for playoffs.

She was pretty confident vs Texas and Baylor. More confidence for any player is a good thing. But what happens if they struggle?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
At least Crystal tries to pass to Natalie.

Part of Crystal's learning curve is knowing her teammates and were they like the pass. That takes time and a lot of repetitions. It will come. Big expectations on Crystal's shoulders - much from herself and what she expects.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Actually, she ( Crystal) seems to try to pass to Natalie's knees, but point taken.
I thought Bent had a nice game with three assists, one of which was a really sweet pass. She is showing some promise.
And where was the pass that Molly threw to Napheesa?
Thought so!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The particular pass in question was not a great pass, but if Danger makes the same pass to Pheesa, Gabby or Lou they step to receive the ball, catch it easily and make the layup. Nat needs a little softer pass that is more into her body then out in front. This is really about Danger getting comfortable with where she needs to put the ball for Nat to handle it.
Agree the pass in question was a very poor pass. Meg's comment was that Crystal needs to be passing the ball to Natalie's hands ("up high where a 6'5" girl can catch it"). A bounce pass, away from the defense and towards the basket is a far more effective way of feeding the post. A bounce pass should arrive at the waist. Crystal bounce pass was below the knees and led her away from the basket that is what made it a very poor pass.

Reaction Score
Neither does firing a missile in there or throwing the ball at her knees and ankles. She's a big girl. She's not going to be able to go below her waist to bring in a pass, and especially not in traffic. It needs to be anywhere from chest high to a foot above her head and she'll haul it in fine. You can make a soft pass into the post, just make sure it's up high where no one else can get it. Nat is going to be the tallest kid on the court most nights - they should be using that to their advantage more when she's on the court instead of bounce passing it into the post trying to thread the needle between multiple defenders. I liken Crystal's passes to that of a QB that has a rocket for an arm but receivers can't catch it even if it's on the money in terms of accuracy. You need to throw a catchable ball. Passes don't need to be thrown as hard as you can physically throw it. Crystal will learn how each of her teammates likes the ball over time.
What you say is reasonable. The responsibility for a completed play must, however, be shared by Danger and Nat. We've seen high rather soft passes roll of of Nat's fingers. She does not jump, does not move, and her outstretched hand does not capture the ball. So the pass must be perfect every time. Nat must continue to get better and Danger must become increasingly aware of each player's strengths and weaknesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom