Ease up on McEntee | The Boneyard

Ease up on McEntee

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
First real game in a new system that is pretty complicated. He isn't Dan Fouts, but there was a lot that went wrong tonight that wasn't his fault. There were 8 dropped passes where the ball hit both of a receiver's hands. McCombs seemed to be dropping passes on purpose.

I don't think that Nebrich is going to be an improvement. I am as pissed about this game as anyone, but I think we should take it easy on McEntee.

Reaction Score
First real game in a new system that is pretty complicated. He isn't Dan Fouts, but there was a lot that went wrong tonight that wasn't his fault. There were 8 dropped passes where the ball hit both of a receiver's hands. McCombs seemed to be dropping passes on purpose.

I don't think that Nebrich is going to be an improvement. I am as pissed about this game as anyone, but I think we should take it easy on McEntee.

Not sure if we watched the same game. I think you mean there were 8 passes that Vandy had their hands on and should have caught, right?

Reaction Score
Not blaming McEntee, but Nebrich has to start next week. This game is on P and his very offensive coordinator.

Reaction Score
Mac was absolutely inept. Period. He single-handedly lost the game. UConn ran well, the defense was great, special were okay.

He was not accurate, he threw the ball up for grabs and he was clueless about managing the game.

It's hard to imagine any QB playing worse.

I'm sure he is a nice kid. He was horrible as a 1A QB and shows little promise that he can get any better.

Reaction Score
Its not all his fault the receivers deserve blame as well, i want the kid to suceed in whatever he does seems like a quality kid, getting results on the field is a different story. The turnovers are inexcusable it cost us the game.

Reaction Score
Can we get Mike Box to return? How could he have "run away" from This "competion". He wass soph for gosh sakes, this job can't be hard to take control of. Trinity usually has a decent QB wonder if they'd like to "walk on".

Reaction Score
The McEntee experiment is over. He is a Jr and does not offer us much going forward. Better to let the freshmen make mistakes. We need to recruit (or find a transfer) one more QB for next year.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Mac was absolutely inept. Period. He single-handedly lost the game. UConn ran well, the defense was great, special were okay.

He was not accurate, he threw the ball up for grabs and he was clueless about managing the game.

It's hard to imagine any QB playing worse.

I'm sure he is a nice kid. He was horrible as a 1A QB and shows little promise that he can get any better.

There were lines we didn't cross when being critical of 18-22 year old kids playing football for their education. Apparently we don't have those lines on this board.

Reaction Score
JM is a college kid and he had a very bad game. I can excuse that. I cannot excuse a highly paid head coach who lacks the situational awareness to know that and make a change, or at least not put the kid in a position to fail. Staff disorganization, bad decisions and poor prep cost the kids the game. If we see more of this PP has to hit the road and soon. A younger coach with fire in his belly is what we needed, not a journeyman hack coach.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think it's great that fans don't want to give the kid a chance to learn from his mistakes. Heck why not kick him off the team right now?

To be clear... I think it's reasonable to prepare Nebrich to get more game snaps next week. But in case people haven't noticed, we don't have a good QB on the roster right now. We have to make one out of the 3 we have, this season. Might be Nebrich, might not be.

Reaction Score
Comeon man...let's be honest, that was one of the worst qb performances I've ever seen. Granted, his wr's and o-line did not help the cause, but did that really look like a division one qb out there tonight? Even if Nebrich isn't better, he can't be worse, right?

Reaction Score
desmondconner Desmond Conner

#UConn QB Johnny McEntee "Coaches and players are going to be nice about it because they're nice guys but I singlehandedly lost this game."

Reaction Score
McEntee is walk on so I don't blame him. I do wonder, how the hell we've been so bad at recruiting QBs, that a walk on is starting for us.

Casey Turner, Mike Box, etc. The qbing tonight was terrible.

Reaction Score
Poor kid. He should have never been called upon to throw on that 3rd down. Period.

Reaction Score
JM is a college kid and he had a very bad game. I can excuse that. I cannot excuse a highly paid head coach who lacks the situational awareness to know that and make a change, or at least not put the kid in a position to fail. Staff disorganization, bad decisions and poor prep cost the kids the game. If we see more of this PP has to hit the road and soon. A younger coach with fire in his belly is what we needed, not a journeyman hack coach.

Just Tweeted by Dez:

“@desmondconner: #UConn QB Johnny McEntee "Coaches and players are going to be nice about it because they're nice guys but I singlehandedly lost this game."”

Class kid.

Reaction Score
P can't let the kids twist like that, just can't do it. If it's a blowout loss that's one thing, when it's a game you've got a realistic shot to win and your defense has bailed the offensive out all night, you've got to sit the kid. Maybe he's the best we've got, and if that's the case adjust the offense to give him a change to be successful.

Reaction Score
He sucked. He was the QB in the game so he blew the game with the pick when up by 21-14. Should have only run the ball on all downs cause could do anything in the passing game. The one thing not to do he did. However, it should have not been a pass play at that moment in the game. Furthermore, he should have been in the game at that point. He should have been pulled at halftime for his poor play. Ultimately, the coaching staff put the team in that position by keeping him, so it there fault. Kid did not have it, so they should have went in another direction. Its no different than in baseball when the reliever gives up the homer and everyone gets pissed off, however he should have been pulled before it happened because he shows signs that he doesnt have it.

I had high hopes for this team considering I knew we could run well and play awesome defense, but this...this is makes me sick. We will be lucky to reach 6 wins.Just poor. I can't believe I am saying it, but Zach would have had way better numbers in this game.

Reaction Score
P can't let the kids twist like that, just can't do it. If it's a blowout loss that's one thing, when it's a game you've got a realistic shot to win and your defense has bailed the offensive out all night, you've got to sit the kid. Maybe he's the best we've got, and if that's the case adjust the offense to give him a change to be successful.
Spot on! Pitchers have off nights....and they get taken out....but they come back for their next start. It's easy to explain 1 off night...but you can't have a kids confidence get shot by letting him continue to screw the pooch.

Reaction Score
McEntee did make some bad throws, the receiver didn't help him much. I didn't see him missing open receivers, these guys have to get open. That last INT was thrown in a bad spot, but I didn't see a lot of open receivers, and getting open is the receivers responsibility. JMac was trying to throw to covered receivers. Maybe a little more play action can help the WR's and QB get a little more time, I don't think they used it enough.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
He sucked. He was the QB in the game so he blew the game with the pick when up by 21-14. Should have only run the ball on all downs cause could do anything in the passing game. The one thing not to do he did. However, it should have not been a pass play at that moment in the game. Furthermore, he should have been in the game at that point. He should have been pulled at halftime for his poor play. Ultimately, the coaching staff put the team in that darnty position by keeping him, so it there fault. Kid did not have it, so they should have went in another direction. Its no different than in baseball when the reliever gives up the homer and everything gets pissed off, however he should have been pulled before it happened because he shows signs that he doesnt have it.

I had high hopes for this team considering I knew we could run well and play awesome defense, but this...this is makes me sick. We will be lucky to reach 6 wins.Just poor. I can't believe I am saying it, but Zach would have had way better numbers in this game.

Revolving QB's is a terrible idea. If they are going to make a switch, we have to be prepared for 5 for 22, 65 yard, 3 INT nights from Nebrich. Without complaint.

Reaction Score
“@desmondconner: #UConn Coach Paul Pasqualoni said he basically stayed with McEntee in the second half for continuity”

Reaction Score
There were lines we didn't cross when being critical of 18-22 year old kids playing football for their education. Apparently we don't have those lines on this board.

Nelson, all my comments were about his performance, maybe that went over your head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom