Ease up on McEntee | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ease up on McEntee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
“@desmondconner: #UConn Coach Paul Pasqualoni said he basically stayed with McEntee in the second half for continuity”
This just makes no sense on so many levels my head is spinning. I don't purport to have any answers, I'm just a fan, but this is mind boggling.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
McEntee did make some bad throws, the receiver didn't help him much. I didn't see him missing open receivers, these guys have to get open. That last INT was thrown in a bad spot, but I didn't see a lot of open receivers, and getting open is the receivers responsibility. JMac was trying to throw to covered receivers. Maybe a little more play action can help the WR's and QB get a little more time, I don't think they used it enough.
Granted, the camera views weren't great, but he seemed to stay with his first option on every throw and threw it regardless if the receiver was covered or not. No excuses for McCombs though, he must have dropped at least 3 easy ones.

Reaction Score
“@desmondconner: #UConn Coach Paul Pasqualoni said he basically stayed with McEntee in the second half for continuity”
Continuity? Like Palatine said, what happened to production?

Reaction Score
I blame the coaching staff, but I sure as hell blame the guy who threw 10-27 for 99 yards 0 TDs and 3 Ints as well. Coaching staff should have put him in a better position, but it's not like the play calls were a designed pass into the Vandy defender's chest.

Reaction Score
The entire coaching staff looked lost tonight. How many times did we see defenders with arms raised because they didn't know which set they were running? The ream was lost against the no-huddle, and I won't bother pointing out the issues on offense. No disrespect to Vandy, but this loss is a crime. I credit Vandy for hanging on and keeping their composure when they had reason to give-in.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This was MacEntee's first experience with his feet to the fire and he wasn't ready. I doubt that he'll ever turn into Troy Aikmen but I remember Aikmen looking every bit as inept his rookie year with the Cowboys. He rushed too many throws (both passes that McCombs dropped were horrible passes, the first was drilled, on a line a bit too low and a bit too far in front of him, the second, high and behind him) and began worrying about pressure that wasn't yet there. This was however his first real game action against an FBS opponent. If the staff is ready to toss him to the scrap heap already we will never have a competent QB.

I don't know if Mac will ever be anything more than a QB who will look great when everything is going well (oline blocks all defenders, no third anmd longs, no dropped passes) but earlier this week, half of this board was convinced he was clearly the best QB on our roster last season, now many of the same posters want him benched. It doesn't work that way.

Reaction Score
This just makes no sense on so many levels my head is spinning. I don't purport to have any answers, I'm just a fan, but this is mind boggling.

The only continuity Mac had was poor decisions and no accuracy. It makes no sense.

Reaction Score
McEntee is walk on so I don't blame him. I do wonder, how the hell we've been so bad at recruiting QBs, that a walk on is starting for us.

Casey Turner, Mike Box, etc. The qbing tonight was terrible.

Here's a clue . . . . Randy Edsall. What did he know about recruiting,coaching or game planning for a passing attack?

Reaction Score
First real game in a new system that is pretty complicated. He isn't Dan Fouts, but there was a lot that went wrong tonight that wasn't his fault. There were 8 dropped passes where the ball hit both of a receiver's hands. McCombs seemed to be dropping passes on purpose.

I don't think that Nebrich is going to be an improvement. I am as pissed about this game as anyone, but I think we should take it easy on McEntee.
HE REALLY LOOKED NERVOUS, THREW OFF HIS BACK FOOT ALL NIGHT, AFRAID OF THE CONACT!
NO DSRESPECT TO MAC' HE JUST LOOKED NERVOUS ALL NIGHT. NO DISRESPECT

Reaction Score
McE was pretty bad today. He led his receivers into big hits with most of his passes, his receivers tried to make the play but they were put in bad positions with McE's passes with the defenders coming their way for the big hit. He had no touch on this short passes and was late on his passes. Also, like others have mentioned, he locked into his primary read and if they were covered he was still throwing it to them. He lacked pocket presence. But he was a walk on, so what can we actually expect from him in his first extended start on the road.

F

fortebleedsblue

Spot on! Pitchers have off nights....and they get taken out....but they come back for their next start. It's easy to explain 1 off night...but you can't have a kids confidence get shot by letting him continue to screw the pooch.

+10000 ... what was hcpp thinking? We aren't making the big $$$ nor have been coaching football as long but my little sister would have known to run then punt, especially when McEntee had been shakey all game with turnovers. How could you not give that D a chance to close the game out? I wonder if that call was from hcpp or deleone...

Reaction Score
Why don't you put some blame on the O Line too. They didn't do a very good job picking up blitzes. Neither did the backs on more than a few occasions. The kid was getting pressure quite a bit. No wonder all his throws were off his back foot.

Reaction Score
JM is a college kid and he had a very bad game. I can excuse that. I cannot excuse a highly paid head coach who lacks the situational awareness to know that and make a change, or at least not put the kid in a position to fail. Staff disorganization, bad decisions and poor prep cost the kids the game. If we see more of this PP has to hit the road and soon. A younger coach with fire in his belly is what we needed, not a journeyman hack coach.
Just wondering if you are at every practice and team meeting and reviewing the game plan with these guys ?? It is amazing how some fans know more than the coaches. What is your coaching and recuiting experience ? So I guess you can say the same thing about most of all the other coaches /teams who lost their games - ND - Iowa - Penn ST - Cincy - Louiville - should I go on ? Most teams with young coaches.

Reaction Score
Just wondering if you are at every practice and team meeting and reviewing the game plan with these guys ?? It is amazing how some fans know more than the coaches. What is your coaching and recuiting experience ? So I guess you can say the same thing about most of all the other coaches /teams who lost their games - ND - Iowa - Penn ST - Cincy - Louiville - should I go on ? Most teams with young coaches.
I understand your point but delay of game then a time out and still not ready...give me a break....this is D1 football

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
dan_hawkins_intramurals_ms_paint.jpg

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I understand your point but delay of game then a time out and still not ready...give me a break....this is D1 football
The coaches did a poor job of preparing this team. The defense was not in position on many occasions. Smallwood looked confused pre-snap several times. Delay of game followed by a time out - 'nuff said. I still think HCPP was the right hire. But man, they better get their act in gear - they just got collectively outcoached by a staff that just coached against their first FBS opponent.

Reaction Score
If he did that in Dallas, Jerry jones would have shot him on the sideline.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Mac seems like a great kid. But he threw the ball into QUADRUPLE coverage at one point. He stared down his primary target every time. He does not have pocket presence. His mobility is a liability. And quite honestly, he was not accurate. He can improve, but I think he needs to do so while working with the second string.

C

Chief00

McEntee is not the answer. As I surmised last week the reason why he is credited with "touch" on the ball is that he has no zip in his arm. Once the game speeds up you are going to see tons of interceptions. Then add his immobility and it gets even worse. Coach P needs to go with the Freshmen and stop investing valuable PT with a guy who may be a nice guy but he simply doesn't have the tools. Quite frankly, even the Fordham game demonstrated that.

Reaction Score
First real game in a new system that is pretty complicated. He isn't Dan Fouts, but there was a lot that went wrong tonight that wasn't his fault. There were 8 dropped passes where the ball hit both of a receiver's hands. McCombs seemed to be dropping passes on purpose.

I don't think that Nebrich is going to be an improvement. I am as pissed about this game as anyone, but I think we should take it easy on McEntee.

Sorry but the only passes that touched recievers hands were thrown behind them and even one's which looked okay were setting receivers up for the kill. I don't claim to know as much as many of you guys I respect who post on this board for sure. What I do know is after years of watching football this kid should never step foot on the field again for UConn if indeed they are still attempting to be primetime D1 football. The defense settled in and was all over the place and did everthing humanly possible to bring home a W and deserved one too. For any coach to keep on throwing this kid on the field is downright ignorant. He was scared, thre off one foot all the time as if here was going to get hit and couldn't get out of his own way. Live with Nebrich for the year and you'll be better for it next year, if not McCummings. I feel bad for JMac as he seems like a great kid but hey go to UNH of CCSU or something, not to the BE.....sorry reality! Huge difference between skeleton practice D and scout D then the real deal. What are those coaches thinking, honestly?

Reaction Score
Sorry but the only passes that touched recievers hands were thrown behind them and even one's which looked okay were setting receivers up for the kill. I don't claim to know as much as many of you guys I respect who post on this board for sure. What I do know is after years of watching football this kid should never step foot on the field again for UConn if indeed they are still attempting to be primetime D1 football. The defense settled in and was all over the place and did everthing humanly possible to bring home a W and deserved one too. For any coach to keep on throwing this kid on the field is downright ignorant. He was scared, thre off one foot all the time as if here was going to get hit and couldn't get out of his own way. Live with Nebrich for the year and you'll be better for it next year, if not McCummings. I feel bad for JMac as he seems like a great kid but hey go to UNH of CCSU or something, not to the BE.....sorry reality! Huge difference between skeleton practice D and scout D then the real deal. What are those coaches thinking, honestly?
Maybe they know we do not have a QB that can do what they want ?

Reaction Score
It's a freaking game. When people make sports a way of life, that's when all hell breaks loose. The funny thing about Russian hooligans though is they drink together after beating each other up. (I hate alcohol.)

Reaction Score

10 for 27 (37%) for 99 yards, 3 int's and 1 returned for a TD when UConn was ahead 21-14. He passed for less yards than McCombs rushed for on the same amount of attempts. It was the single worst performance I have ever seen from a QB and that is saying a lot considering what we've had to witness the last 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom