Reaction Score
Mike McKay
Corny Thompson
Norman Bailey
Verne Giscombe
Karl Hobbs
Ray Brockton
Al Frederick

These were my favorite players under Perno. I remember Northeastern whooping UConn's ass at the HCC during a Connecticut Mutual Classic game one year and just wishing UConn could have one player as good as Reggie Lewis ever. And let UConn make an NCAA tourney. What a long, strange trip it's been.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Mike McKay
Corny Thompson
Norman Bailey
Verne Giscombe
Karl Hobbs
Ray Brockton
Al Frederick

These were my favorite players under Perno. I remember Northeastern whooping UConn's ass at the HCC during a Connecticut Mutual Classic game one year and just wishing UConn could have one player as good as Reggie Lewis ever. And let UConn make an NCAA tourney. What a long, strange trip it's been.

Earl Kelly and Uncle Cliff

Tim Coles, Chuck Alex..... , Phil Gamble, Beselek (sp)

One and done in the BET, UConn fans had to get there early

Reaction Score
My dad got his MBA from UCONN in the late 60's. I got into UConn hoops in 1977-78...Dulin, Whelton, Carr, LaVigne, Abromaitis....I remember listening to games on the radio with my dad. He always told me stories about the late 60's when he'd call up the Field House on a Friday afternoon and ask them to hold two tix for that night's game. Then jump in his Chrysler 300 with his buddy and a six pack of Schlitz and get there just in time for tipoff.
My first actual game was the 1981 NIT game at the HCC vs Minnesotta. From what I remember, future Knick Trent Tucker didn't miss a three all night.
Another memory is the 1979 ECAC title game vs URI. Winner moved on to the NCAA's. It was a warm March Saturday.... @beerfan and I shot hoops in his driveway all game while we listened to Corny dismantle the URI frontline on his little AM radio.

Reaction Score
I love this thread.

My college hoops memories start as far back as as I could possibly remember, when my Dad used to sit me on his lap and tell stories about seeing Cazzie Russell’s Michigan teams and Bill Bradley’s Princeton squads take on St. John’s and the other NYC powers in a way that made me want to get to The Garden like other kids dream of Disney World or the North Pole or whatever normal kids dream about. My first trip was a doubleheader featuring Speedy Claxton’s Hofstra team, St. John’s, Rutgers and Fordham and it was magical to me. Almost 40 years later, I still get goose bumps every time the train hits The City on my way to MSG.

One of my favorite early college hoops memories: In first grade, we had to do a daily journal. The day after the 1989 title game, my entry was about how Glen Rice was unstoppable and Ramuel Robinson was amazing. Turns out nobody else in my class weighed in on Michigan’s win over Seton Hall that morning.

I grew up near Colorado State, so we went to as many WAC and later Mountain West games as possible and always sat behind the visitor’s bench to see Majerus, Keith Van Horn, Tark, Tim Hardaway and the like up close. Such an underrated conference.

Because of my parents NY roots, I was a Big East fan growing up in a Big 8/12 world. My first UConn memory was pretending I was Chris Smith splitting the defense on the hoop in my living room with a nerf ball I got from a local pizza place (there are no message board threads about best Northern Colorado pizza).

Eight or nine years later, my Dad and I saw UConn in person for the first time when the Huskies opened the ‘99 tourney in Denver. We fell in love with the way a team that could score like the did exerted itself on defense — and UConn rocketed up my college list and a couple years later I was a freshman in Storrs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m sorry, this was maybe the best post ever. Do I remember Dwight Clay hitting the baseline jumper to end UCLA’s winning streak? Heck yes. In the upstairs den of my friend Phil Sheehey’s house. Do I remember 3/14/81 (and you didn’t describe the way St Joes beat #1 DePaul, on a guy about to take a corner jumper at the buzzer to win the game spotting a teammate wide open underneath and whipping a pass to him underneath for a lay in)? Absolutely. Was at my wife’s (then fiancé’s apartment) my senior year in college, having kicked her out for the pretend reason that I needed to work on my thesis when I really wanted to see March Madness. You may be a little too young to really remember when modern college basketball started (NC State’s double OT win over UCLA to dethrone the King) which I watched from a hotel in the borscht belt at a business convention my father was at.

What great memories. And what an underrated sport college hoops has always been.
I sure do remember the 1974 Wolfpack. I loved watching David Thompson along with Monte Towe and Tom Burleson. I remember watching South Windsor's Tom Roy play for Maryland against NC State on network TV.

Here is a nice link concerning March 14th, 1981.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
One and done in the BET, UConn fans had to get there early
It's hard to describe utter disdain the Big East felt towards the Perno/Toner BB program back then. Opening round of the 1984 BET, UConn goes on a run to close the gap against Cuse at the 8:00 timeout. Legendary John Condon announces that there will be UConn fan reception after the game at the Hotel Penta. He adds "the Syracuse reception will be after tomorrow's game". No one even pretended UConn had a chance after losing 10 of their last 12. Perno got two more years.

Reaction Score
suspicious philip j fry GIF

Not sure whether to make fun of you for calling it ”convenient store," or to question if I have been living a 40-year lie thinking it's "convenience store."
You're spot on. It def is convenience store.
Reminds of other misheard things- like sherbERT or how some people think I'm saying I went to school in Alaska, not storrs.

Reaction Score
I love this thread.

My college hoops memories start as far back as as I could possibly remember, when my Dad used to sit me on his lap and tell stories about seeing Cazzie Russell’s Michigan teams and Bill Bradley’s Princeton squads take on St. John’s and the other NYC powers in a way that made me want to get to The Garden like other kids dream of Disney World or the North Pole or whatever normal kids dream about. My first trip was a doubleheader featuring Speedy Claxton’s Hofstra team, St. John’s, Rutgers and Fordham and it was magical to me. Almost 40 years later, I still get goose bumps every time the train hits The City on my way to MSG.

One of my favorite early college hoops memories: In first grade, we had to do a daily journal. The day after the 1989 title game, my entry was about how Glen Rice was unstoppable and Ramuel Robinson was amazing. Turns out nobody else in my class weighed in on Michigan’s win over Seton Hall that morning.

I grew up near Colorado State, so we went to as many WAC and later Mountain West games as possible and always sat behind the visitor’s bench to see Majerus, Keith Van Horn, Tark, Tim Hardaway and the like up close. Such an underrated conference.

Because of my parents NY roots, I was a Big East fan growing up in a Big 8/12 world. My first UConn memory was pretending I was Chris Smith splitting the defense on the hoop in my living room with a nerf ball I got from a local pizza place (there are no message board threads about best Northern Colorado pizza).

Eight or nine years later, my Dad and I saw UConn in person for the first time when the Huskies opened the ‘99 tourney in Denver. We fell in love with the way a team that could score like the did exerted itself on defense — and UConn rocketed up my college list and a couple years later I was a freshman in Storrs.
This is a great story.

Reaction Score
Mike McKay
Corny Thompson
Norman Bailey
Verne Giscombe
Karl Hobbs
Ray Brockton
Al Frederick

brings back memories of Skinner Frederick, Captain Eddie Williams and Tim Coles. I remember Al Weston and John Thomas from the mid-70s as well.

I was fortunate to go to South Catholic so I saw many great HS basketball games with Joey Whelton, Rod Foster, John Pinone and Harrold Pressley among others. I grew up in the same neighborhood as Randy Lavigne. He was a good athlete from a young age. His little league team was something like 18 and 0. His older brother Bob who played for South could sky as well

Reaction Score
Started seeing games with Wes and Corley but too young to grasp. Then Staak, Boyd, Hrubala, Cal Chapman, Gary Custick, Al Vaughn. Then Jimmy Foster, Earl Wilson, John Thomas, Tony Hanson to Abro, Joey, Jeff Carr to Phil Gamble, Cliffy, Disco Jim, Clay to Corny, Mike, Alexinas, Dulin to Tom Coles, Eddie Williams, Greg Economou, Al Frederick, Willie McCloud, Gerry B, Ray B and then to our savior Jim Calhoun which needs no introduction!

LADan

Have seen UConn beat Zags twice to get to Final 4
Reaction Score
Toby Kimball UConn teams from the 60s. They beat Bill Bradley’s Princeton team in the NCAAs before falling to Jeff Mullins and the Dukies in the round of 8.

Reaction Score
I love this thread.

if we expand from UConn fandom to CBB in general - big fan of UCLA/Wooden in the late 60s, played frosh/JV hoops in NYC with a coach who had graduated from UCLA - games at Power, Rice, Boys High, LaSalle, St. Raymond's, Tolentine, St. Francis, etc. attended 1st game at MSG - Marquette/Fordham during Digger's 1971 magical year at Fordham when Marquette w/ Al McGuire was undefeated.

Reaction Score
Started seeing games with Wes and Corley but too young to grasp. Then Staak, Boyd, Hrubala, Cal Chapman, Gary Custick, Al Vaughn. Then Jimmy Foster, Earl Wilson, John Thomas, Tony Hanson to Abro, Joey, Jeff Carr to Phil Gamble, Cliffy, Disco Jim, Clay to Corny, Mike, Alexinas, Dulin to Tom Coles, Eddie Williams, Greg Economou, Al Frederick, Willie McCloud, Gerry B, Ray B and then to our savior Jim Calhoun which needs no introduction!

Phil G Cliffy were after Corny and Gang I was on a run lol

Reaction Score
Mike McKay
Corny Thompson
Norman Bailey
Verne Giscombe
Karl Hobbs
Ray Brockton
Al Frederick

Was at same game and had a different wish. My wish was to have a coach that could win like the Northeastern coach.

Reaction Score
I was at that St John’s game unfortunately sitting among a bunch of Johny fans. Their mascot was dressed in Native American garb and the fight took place right in front of us . We lead all the way but Perno managed to find a way to lose at the end. I remember their fans Chanting “Where’s the Puppy now ” It was a low moment .
Yeah the St Johns guy was not in a furry costume but dressed as a Native American , like for Halloween, like the West Virginia Mountaineer. It took me sa minute to realize it was a real fight. I think it did for most people and thats why it carried on for so long.

Reaction Score
My first strong memory of UConn basketball was listening to the NIT championship game on the radio. My parents weren’t sports fans but something about that NIT run caught my attention as an 11 year old boy and I put the game on the radio in my room and listened by myself and remember being so excited that they pulled it off. I don’t think I even watched one of their games on TV until the following season.

Reaction Score
My first memories of getting into basketball was the 88-89 season, Cliff's senior season. My dad was a basketball junkie and got me into it. Most vivid memories were watching Seton Hall get screwed in the national championship against Michigan, it felt devastating watching those final seconds. The next season was the dream season and my dad who was originally from Jersey City got swept up in UConn, we watched all the games and it was a huge deal when we took out those loaded Georgetown and Syracuse teams and won the Big East...

Fast forward to the final seconds of the sweet 16 game...I started crying when Clemson took the lead and the game was over. Went from crying to running around the house screaming with my dad and older brothers. We went out to eat to celebrate the victory and pops told me to never cry during the game and the game isn't ever over, I pointed out to him that he was freaking out that the game was over and he kept saying they ' blew it. They lost to Duke in heartbreaking fashion the next game but I was hooked for life.

I watched basically every UConn game and every Knicks game with him from that point on until I moved away. Amazing seasons with those Calhoun teams and Pat Reilly teams but they always ended up in crushing disappointment. It seemed like UConn could never get over the hump and reach their first final 4 and the Knicks could never beat Jordan. Knicks finally had their chance with Jordan leaving for baseball and then Starks went 2-18 against the Rockets in game 7. My dad said the Knicks would never win a championship again in his lifetime and he was right but we got to share 4 UConn national championships together which seemed like some ridiculous fantasy when we both got hooked on UConn hoops.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
When I was 5 years old in 1987 @okaforprez sr and Mrs. Senior brought the whole family to a Hartford hawks : beach boys concert double header. You could see the game and a show for $12.50 back then (COLLEGE BASKETBALL; THE SHOW GOES ON EVEN IF HAWKS LOSE - Document - Gale Academic OneFile Select).

I remember the 2nd half of the game more than the concert.

By the time the dream season rolled around it was hard for an 8 year old not to get swept up in husky mania. I remember the “what I like about UConn” parody playing on the radio and blasting it in the living room. At our elementary school the classes were theming activities around the tournament run. I have vague memories of artwork / posters hung around the classroom.

@okaforprez sr missed Tate’s shot live because he was consoling my sister and I on the stairwell well away from the tv. We all ran in to see the replay after my moms screamed to tell us we had won.

That was it. Hook baited. Impossible to not get addicted to that kind of adrenaline rush.

34 years of being completely spoiled and counting.

Reaction Score
Mike McKay
Corny Thompson
Norman Bailey
Verne Giscombe
Karl Hobbs
Ray Brockton
Al Frederick

We use to call it the Cupcake Classic
and being humiliated by a mid major on our own floor in a Tournament we owned was a nail in Perno’s coffin .

Reaction Score
L
We use to call it the Cupcake Classic
and being humiliated by a mid majorfloor in a Tournament we owned was a nail in Perno’s coffin .

The memory of that d**k on the sideline for northeastern throwing his sport coat because of a call he didn’t like. I mean we now know now that he was making sure he didn’t get a home cooking job but then we didn’t like it. The momentum did shift but that didn’t mean a few months later I liked him as the new coach.

Imagine if they ever selected Mitch Bonaguoro or Nick Macarchuck?:eek:

Reaction Score
Bob Staak
Bob Boyd

And I'm going to guess Robert Taylor, who could be Bob Taylor
Tayls was playing intramurals for Colt House during my freshman year. Our freshman house team played in the campus finals against a frat team that beat Colt. We kept it respectable for having no one over 6’1”.

Reaction Score
I became a fan in the mid-'70s, in the last couple of seasons with Dee Rowe as head coach. I remember Hanson, Whelton, Thomas, Carr, Abromaitis, LaVigne back in the Yankee Conference and ECAC days. Prior to that, all I can remember seeing on TV was UCLA.

Got my first season tix for the last few games at the old field house and was there opening night at Gampel. My brother was at the HCC game that ended just hours before the roof caved in!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom