Earl Kelley to the Wilbur Cross HOF !! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Earl Kelley to the Wilbur Cross HOF !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah, Chris was a very important recruit but we got a kid from Bridgeport a decade earlier name Mike McKay who scored like !700 points at UConn-same class as Corny. Earl was an amazing talent who was extremely confident - remember a friend and I rode in elevator with Earl when he was a Sr. and asked him "How about UConn?" during a game there. He winked and soon after signed! Too bad he came after Corny etc class! Same class as Harold Presley (Nova NC team) from St Bernards HS near me. Went to a lot of games and sat near/next to a lot of coaches in those days (Digger, Blaney, Rollie, Penders to name a few). Interesting guys to talk to about players. It was an amazing group of players coming out of CT in the 70's. The Williamsons, Sly, Soup, Garris, Pinone, Adams, Bagley, Aleksinas, Corny, McKay, Rod Foster, Jay Murphy! Probably many I forgot too.

Early 80s too. Harold Pressley, Charles Smith, Vinny Baker, several others... And of course Kelley and Camby later on.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
My older sister attended UCONN at the beginning of Earl's career. He was my first UCONN hero and I was crushed by how his career ended. Another case of a player with amazing ability who lacked the life skills to use them to their fullest.

C

Chief00

I actually thought Earl had the skills but just used them for the wrong purposes.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
I went to high school with Earl. He was always in a suit. Always professional. And just an amazing player to watch on the court. I remember sitting in the gym at Cross watching a game next to some of the many scouts who were following him senior year, and they used a lot of superlatives describing his game. One thing that always struck me was that Coach Saulsbury was a firm leader, he required the entire team to dress well and represent well. I think Earl missed that discipline when he moved on to UConn under the Perno regime. Earl under the tutelage of Calhoun as a freshman might have resulted in a very different professional career for Earl...

http://www.nhregister.com/article/NH/20121115/NEWS/311159957

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky