Earl Kelley to the Wilbur Cross HOF !! | The Boneyard

Earl Kelley to the Wilbur Cross HOF !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
The Earl of Storrs

Earl Kelley dominated HS ball in 1981/1982 and stayed in-state. Was amazing to watch while on some sad Pernnot teams. Fell into the abyss but is fighting hard to be a local role model.

His induction comes in April.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
My brother went to UCONN 5 years before me and lived in the same dorm as Earl. He has some INSANE stories about him but each and every one ends with "That was Earl and he's a friend for life".

Reaction Score
I was working as a deputy sheriff in the New Haven courts when they brought Earl in after chasing him over rooftops. Earl should have been a stunt-guy in Hollywood.

C

Chief00

Earl was definitely an interesting guy and his rivalry with Pearl Washington was legendary. Earl told me that Pearl bad mouth him in NJ and that seemed to fuel the rivalry. If I remember correctly Earl's older brother Larry had attended Cuse so that may have been a factor as well.
He also did a great Howie immitation. I always found him to have a great sense of humor but he could also rob you blind because he got caught up in some dark things. Cliff looked up to him for all the wrong reasons and I say that affectionately.
Earl was unbelievable in his day since he seemed to have girls and friends in nearly every major city in the Northeast and at the time I admired that.
Earl had great explosion with power in his legs which made him difficult to guard. Contrary to what some believed, I never found Earl to be a selfish player at heart even in pickup ball. I often wondered if Calhoun could have had Cliff and Earl together -under his discipline - what an amazing team that would have been.
Earl's downfall can be best illustrated by the fact that he got cut in the NBA after scoring over 40 points in a scrimmage - for valid reasons I believed that had nothing to do with basketball ability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
There truly hasn't been too many, if any, more fun players to watch at UConn in my days. He could put the team on his shoulders and carry them to a W against a superior team on a given night. Tremendous guard who would be a great great player in these days. Scoring machine with creativity. No doubt if he was disciplined in life he was an NBAer maybe a star. He just loved the ganj a little too much and life's party was waiting for him. Too bad but it seems he's found a good place now, good guy got to meet him last year at a UConn game.

Wilbur Cross had some unreal basketball teams back to his days and prior.

Reaction Score
Earl was a tremendous talent. I got to play pickup against him once behind the jungle, that was a thrill. Glad to see him doing ok and being honored.

Reaction Score
There truly hasn't been too many, if any, more fun players to watch at UConn in my days. He could put the team on his shoulders and carry them to a W against a superior team on a given night. Tremendous guard who would be a great great player in these days. Scoring machine with creativity. No doubt if he was disciplined in life he was an NBAer maybe a star. He just loved the ganj a little too much and life's party was waiting for him. Too bad but it seems he's found a good place now, good guy got to meet him last year at a UConn game.

Wilbur Cross had some unreal basketball teams back to his days and prior.

Back then Wilbur Cross had a lot of talent, but Hillhouse had even more. Watching Hillhouse play was like watching a low-major. 8 or 9 deep off the bench, and many of them got D2 scholarships. I'm talking about Tharon Mayes' teams (father of Xavier Rathan-Mayes) who went to Florida St. Other kids from memory were Jeter, Brockenberry, Brevard (sp?). They would have alley-oop dunks, high flying slams, rebounds over the rim. Seeing them go against teams in the tourney was funny as hell.

Reaction Score
Earl was definitely an interesting guy and his rivalry with Pearl Washington was legendary. Earl told me that Pearl bad mouth him in NJ and that seemed to fuel the rivalry. If I remember correctly Earl's older brother Larry had attended Cuse so that may have been a factor as well.
He also did a great Howie immitation. I always found him to have a great sense of humor but he could also rob you blind because he got caught up in some dark things. Cliff looked up to him for all the wrong reasons and I say that affectionately.
Earl was unbelievable in his day since he seemed to have girls and friends in nearly every major city in the Northeast and at the time I admired that.
Earl had great explosion with power in his legs which made him difficult to guard. Contrary to what some believed, I never found Earl to be a selfish player at heart even in pickup ball. I often wondered if Calhoun could have had Cliff and Earl together -under his discipline - what an amazing team that would have been.
Earl's downfall can be best illustrated by the fact that he got cut in the NBA after scoring over 40 points in a scrimmage - for valid reasons I believed that had nothing to do with basketball ability.
Just last week, Earls brother Larry, was honored for life time service to the community, in New Haven. Larry coached and mentored in New Haven for many years. Earl, Super John Williamson, Soup Campbell are all ex New Haven high schoolers who fell into the street life. All played in the NBA. That itself, is a sad story.

Reaction Score
Back then Wilbur Cross had a lot of talent, but Hillhouse had even more. Watching Hillhouse play was like watching a low-major. 8 or 9 deep off the bench, and many of them got D2 scholarships. I'm talking about Tharon Mayes' teams (father of Xavier Rathan-Mayes) who went to Florida St. Other kids from memory were Jeter, Brockenberry, Brevard (sp?). They would have alley-oop dunks, high flying slams, rebounds over the rim. Seeing them go against teams in the tourney was funny as hell.
Cross in the early 70s will never be topped. #1 in the country for about 2 years.

Reaction Score
Cross in the early 70s will never be topped. #1 in the country for about 2 years.

Yes, they were amazing. I've got no dog in this hunt, but I'd also note that Hillhouse in '69 was rated the top basketball school in the country. They were ranked 4th in the country in the mid 1980s.

Obviously, with these things, it is impossible to determine which teams are better other than looking at the college talent. Cross with Williamson and Campbell, etc. Bradford and Earl Kelley in the 80s.

And if Lee High School had closed earlier, both Cross and Hillhouse would have been even more powerful. These were high schools with 700 or 800 students.

Reaction Score
My brother went to UCONN 5 years before me and lived in the same dorm as Earl. He has some INSANE stories about him but each and every one ends with "That was Earl and he's a friend for life".
I had the opportunity to be a part of what is now know the Upward Bound program back in the mid 80s at UCONN during the Summer. Saw Earl up there a lot.. The Summer of '85 he and then super frosh Clifford Ray Robinson were killing it on the basketball court outside on South Campus... Cliff was dunking most of the time while Earl would pretty much go to different spots and just shoot.. and make like every shot... That was a special talent.. he should've been in the NBA and had a long career, but, unfortunately he had a few too many hiccups during his playing career.

All in all, nice to see him bounce back.. Giving back the way he is now is quite a blessing..

*Side Note* Nice to see his son, Evan Kelley, from my hometown, Norwalk, CT, have a nice college career at Sacred Heart and is still pursuing a playing career.

Reaction Score

I thought Tharon was from Lee High?

Anyway Hillhouse had some great teas too, but Cross prior to Ear with the Soups. Super John, Mickey Hear, John Thomas and so many more had some great years. #1 in the country I do believe at times. Amazing how many great players back then, what happens to change it? I know some of the reasons and its sad but it's also crazy. Hartford, Bridgeport, New Haven always had a lot of Divy 1 talent and now we hear very little.

Reaction Score

Anyway Hillhouse had some great teas too, but Cross prior to Ear with the Soups. Super John, Mickey Hear, John Thomas and so many more had some great years. #1 in the country I do believe at times. Amazing how many great players back then, what happens to change it? I know some of the reasons and its sad but it's also crazy. Hartford, Bridgeport, New Haven always had a lot of Divy 1 talent and now we hear very little.

Lee closed during his years there, and he ended up at Hillhouse.

Reaction Score

Lee closed during his years there, and he ended up at Hillhouse.

Connecticut has cities that go bankrupt. A lot of poverty. I can only imagine this is a hangover from the pre-Weicker days when local gov't was responsible for all taxes. No state help. Try running a business in New Haven back in the 1980s and 1990s. The capital equipment taxes were astounding. Because that's how the city made its money.

A pretty poor city.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The Earl of Storrs

Earl Kelley dominated HS ball in 1981/1982 and stayed in-state. Was amazing to watch while on some sad Pernnot teams. Fell into the abyss but is fighting hard to be a local role model.

His induction comes in April.

Before my time, but always good to see these guys alive and kicking. I maintain that these 'redemption story' guys are the best role models for kids to have, as they can see what the wrong path has done to guys lives. There's a lot of wisdom there.

Reaction Score
JC recruited Mayes but could not get him in school. Believe he was a Prop 48.
does anyone even remember what prop 48 was? Have not heard that term in many years.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
All that talent in New Haven, add Jiggie Williams to the mix and wasn't there a 2nd Williamson cousin?
Anyway, nobody came to UConn until Earl.
Althouogh he was from Bridgeport, that is why Chris Smith was such a huge recruit.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
My mother lived in Knollwood at the same time Kelley was there, which was evidently a bit harrowing. I can't say his name around her without her rolling her eyes and dropping some choice words. However, my old man ran into one of Earl's old attorneys who still kept in touch with him several years ago, and relayed that he has cleaned himself up and is doing okay.

Reaction Score
All that talent in New Haven, add Jiggie Williams to the mix and wasn't there a 2nd Williamson cousin?
Anyway, nobody came to UConn until Earl.
Althouogh he was from Bridgeport, that is why Chris Smith was such a huge recruit.

Where was Hot Rod Foster from?

Reaction Score
Yeah, Chris was a very important recruit but we got a kid from Bridgeport a decade earlier name Mike McKay who scored like !700 points at UConn-same class as Corny. Earl was an amazing talent who was extremely confident - remember a friend and I rode in elevator with Earl when he was a Sr. and asked him "How about UConn?" during a game there. He winked and soon after signed! Too bad he came after Corny etc class! Same class as Harold Presley (Nova NC team) from St Bernards HS near me. Went to a lot of games and sat near/next to a lot of coaches in those days (Digger, Blaney, Rollie, Penders to name a few). Interesting guys to talk to about players. It was an amazing group of players coming out of CT in the 70's. The Williamsons, Sly, Soup, Garris, Pinone, Adams, Bagley, Aleksinas, Corny, McKay, Rod Foster, Jay Murphy! Probably many I forgot too.

APA

Reaction Score
Just last week, Earls brother Larry, was honored for life time service to the community, in New Haven. Larry coached and mentored in New Haven for many years. Earl, Super John Williamson, Soup Campbell are all ex New Haven high schoolers who fell into the street life. All played in the NBA. That itself, is a sad story.
No, not Soup. He was a State employee for many years before passing recently. Don't recall him being in any trouble of any significance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom