Dylan Ennis transfer | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dylan Ennis transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Both our backcourt and our frontcourt are "crowded" if you consider the sheer number of bodies. And yet, neither is good enough. So how do we improve them?

The thing is, though, we don't know that they aren't good enough. They weren't good enough last season, certainly, but I still think the ceiling of guys like AB, Hamilton, Purvis, and Adams is such that we can contend with a strong offseason and maybe a grad transfer or two to help shore up the rotation. I have no problem with "upgrading", but the thing with this roster is we don't necessarily know if those upgrades would start or come off the bench.

I don't see Ennis "competing" with Samuel or Cassell. He's very clearly better than both of them by a huge margin.

He's definitely better than Samuel and Cassell, and probably Calhoun, but he still has to contend with Hamilton, Adams, and Purvis for minutes, and most importantly touches. To me, this is a kid who wants to come in and have the offense run through him from day one, and I just don't see it happening here.

Reaction Score
cassell was injured majority of the season, his movement was hampered by this. also , this point isnt even worth making. ennis doesn't want to compete, he wants the lions share of minutes at the 1. which he wont get, because he is not as good as jalen adams right now at this moment
You can have two PG's in the starting lineup. In fact i recall a National title team from 2014 that had two starting PG's. This would also allow for Samuel and Cassell to be what they should have been all along, role players. As for saying Adams is a better player? He has more potential, but Ennis is coming off of a solid season playing for one of the best teams in the country (regular season) while all we have on Adams is Prep numbers and Mixtapes. We have zero shot at landing Ennis but i thought i'd make my point.

Reaction Score
What do you base any of this on. Besides being a lead guard
overall talent level and athletic ability coming out of the gate. I've seen adams in person, and have watched ennis multiple times on tele. they are on two different tiers. thats my opinion

Reaction Score
You can have two PG's in the starting lineup. In fact i recall a National title team from 2014 that had two starting PG's. This would also allow for Samuel and Cassell to be what they should have been all along, role players. As for saying Adams is a better player? He has more potential, but Ennis is coming off of a solid season playing for one of the best teams in the country (regular season) while all we have on Adams is Prep numbers and Mixtapes. We have zero shot at landing Ennis but i thought i'd make my point.
solid season? he was given the reigns with the second most minutes and fg attempts, and ended the season as probably the 6th best player. there are a bundle of guards on this team,but a dearth of players over 6'6 who can rebound.

Reaction Score
Got to assume Temple has already offered him the starter's job. He's exactly what they need.

Reaction Score
Both our backcourt and our frontcourt are "crowded" if you consider the sheer number of bodies. And yet, neither is good enough. So how do we improve them?
We have 10 scholarship players as of now, we are the opposite of crowded.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Also, a lot of folks in this thread seem to be underestimating how much time the ball will spend in DHam's hands. He won't bring it up court, but he'll be our primary offensive initiator in a Caron-in-2002 or Burrell-in-93 kind of way.

I'm looking forward to that. Quite a bit.
Piggybacking on this - If DHam's handle improves, he's going to absolutely tear up defenses next year. People got excited by Purvis' scoring at the end of the year, but Hamilton has a much better chance at being the team's most valuable player IMO.

Reaction Score
Piggybacking on this - If DHam's handle improves, he's going to absolutely tear up defenses next year. People got exciting by Purvis' scoring at the end of the year, but Hamilton has a much better chance at being the team's most valuable player IMO.
Yup. He's also Rodney's best chance at scoring 18ppg or better, and I think Rodney knows it.

Reaction Score
He's also Tyler Ennis's older brother. I'm not sure he'd be a starter here & we have plenty of other combo guards. I wouldn't call him a traditional PG though. He's a good defender too.

I would trust his shot a heck of a lot more than TSam's.

Reaction Score
overall talent level and athletic ability coming out of the gate. I've seen adams in person, and have watched ennis multiple times on tele. they are on two different tiers. thats my opinion

High school ball and college ball are on two different tiers as well. Adams could be a star from day one, or, it could take him time to learn and adapt to the college game. That is significant. No one doubts his talent level and athletic ability, but if he can't play beyond his years from day one, then this could be another rough season. That's why I would welcome a guy like Ennis, who has the experience as a combo guard, at playing the point at a high level in college for years.

Reaction Score
High school ball and college ball are on two different tiers as well. Adams could be a star from day one, or, it could take him time to learn and adapt to the college game. That is significant. No one doubts his talent level and athletic ability, but if he can't play beyond his years from day one, then this could be another rough season. That's why I would welcome a guy like Ennis, who has the experience as a combo guard, at playing the point at a high level in college for years.

Well said.

Can't put all your eggs in a freshman PG's basket regardless of how highly regarded he is, especially when his back ups would be Samuel and Cassell. The transition period is a huge question mark which is reason to have a solid presence to pick up the slack in case that transition period runs for an extended amount of time.

Reaction Score
ennis is a freaking shooting guard. jalen adams is an explosive lead POINT GUARD. you know its possible a freshman is better than a junior who was a low level recruit? Ok i'm done. this conversation is meaningless he wont be coming here. but i assure you there is no other starting point guard not named adams next season for uconn. thats a fact

Reaction Score
ennis is a freaking shooting guard. jalen adams is an explosive lead POINT GUARD. you know its possible a freshman is better than a junior who was a low level recruit? Ok i'm done. this conversation is meaningless he wont be coming here. but i assure you there is no other starting point guard not named adams next season for uconn. thats a fact
Jay Wright explicitly stated that the kid is leaving because he wants to play pure point.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
There's a lot of underselling of Ennis in this thread. A player like him could help our team immensely simply by being able to show JA the ropes and add veteran presence in the backcourt. Also, additional guard depth is always good because if Samuel or Cassell are playing poorly, you can bring someone else in with the hopes that they'll right the ship instead of being stuck with nobody else on the bench.

Reaction Score
There's a lot of underselling of Ennis in this thread. A player like him could help our team immensely simply by being able to show JA the ropes and add veteran presence in the backcourt. Also, additional guard depth is always good because if Samuel or Cassell are playing poorly, you can bring someone else in with the hopes that they'll right the ship instead of being stuck with nobody else on the bench.
show jalen adams the ropes? i would throw my body over hot coals before this average d1 guard shows jalen adams the 'ropes'. and also, HE ISN'T INTERESTING IN BEING PART OF 'DEPTH'. he wants to run the show 30 mpg at the point. he isn't good enough, nor is he even likely coming here. Adams isn't just some normal recruit, he is the most heralded player we've had for some time at his position he was also clearly the leader and best player on a nepsac team loaded with high d1 players. he is an animal and will win ROY in conference and probably be all conference. facts. lets just all hope cassell and samuel grow as players , any graduate transfer should be reinforcement for the front court

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
show jalen adams the ropes? i would throw my body over hot coals before this average d1 guard shows jalen adams the 'ropes'. and also, HE ISN'T INTERESTING IN BEING PART OF 'DEPTH'. he wants to run the show 30 mpg at the point. he isn't good enough, nor is he even likely coming here. Adams isn't just some normal recruit, he is the most heralded player we've had for some time at his position he was also clearly the leader and best player on a nepsac team loaded with high d1 players. he is an animal and will win ROY in conference and probably be all conference. facts. lets just all hope cassell and samuel grow as players , any graduate transfer should be reinforcement for the front court

Jesus, calm yourself down. Do you think I don't know who Jalen Adams is?

You're getting way, way ahead of yourself with the amount of hype you're giving him. Yes he is one of the best recruits the program has seen in recent times, yes he has a great HS pedigree. But when you're making all of these declarative statements, you're simply setting yourself up to be disappointed.

Adams is a freshman who will be running the point for a D1 team. No matter how phenomenal is, he will have good games and not-as-good games. He will struggle with consistency and hit the freshman wall. He will be going against better competition than he has ever seen in his life, and almost every single freshman who enters the college game will take some time to get used to it.

Reaction Score
Give the ball to ADAMS from day 1. Glad we got him. Now we get to see what a real Ferrari rides like assuming the 1 with defective parts isn't looking for the car jack.

Reaction Score
Wonder if Cuse has a shot at him, or did Bohiem piss off the family?

Reaction Score
Wonder if Cuse has a shot at him, or did Bohiem piss off the family?
I thought I read that if Syracuse's scholarship total fell under a certain amount then they would have to start the scholarship restrictions a year early, which isn't that bad of a deal. McCullough leaving would have put them under that threshold, but don't take my word for it.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
@JonRothstein: Derryck Thornton's decision to attend Duke means that you can cross the Blue Devils off Dylan Ennis' list. Should be cut later this week.

Reaction Score
Ollie called him an "instant." That would indicate he is capable playing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom