Durham | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Durham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Thats why all these injuries make me sick to my stomach. Can you imagine Durham,Gil and Larrier healthy and running at 100%?!!! All 3 of those guys a stud talents and its a shame that theyve been held back by injury. Diarra i havent seen but ive read hes a talented rebounder.
Hopefully we'll get to see that scenario next year, as well as a veteran Adams running the point.

The pain of this season will be worth it in the long run.

Reaction Score
In order to be a difference maker at this level you have to be able to score/shoot. He has showed he can shoot and has a nice touch. He will be stronger next season and I'm sure his playing time will go up and you'll see him "hopefully" be one of their best options on offense. He has a very high upside. Much higher than Jackson. Jackson has not shown me anything yet. If he can hit 40% of his 3's then he will be an asset. If he doesn't hit his outside shot, he is not adding much to the team because he is very slow footed and not a good defender. Just my 2 cents if anyone cares.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Funny, I'm rooting for him big-time, but I thought he was too tentative on his shot & didn't take enough of them. I missed the first half unfortunately and only saw the second, so maybe in the first half he made more shots or seemed more decisive. When I say tentative, what I mean is he would get the ball inside the zone, and rather than turn around and take a good fairly close shot, he'd pass the ball outside again to a teammate. I thought perhaps he was still getting his feet wet & any time on the court has to be a good thing for someone who doesn't play much & is coming back from injury.

Cuse half-time adjustment to the damage he did in the 1st half. Every time the ball went in to him in 2nd half, the zone closed on him. He's got a good stroke, but I don't think he's ready to take the turnaround under what amounted to double team pressure just yet. I thought he did a good job passing it back out in the 2nd half, but needed to hold the ball another 2nd or so to force the defense to commit to him, then find the guy who was left open by the zone shift.

Reaction Score
Enoch is going to be a lot better when he starts making his shots. He can't hit anything right now and could really use the sight of the ball finding some net. He's looking better bit by bit.
I know his shots arent falling but he looks very natural offensively and if those shots start going down for him consistantly hes going to be a very nice piece for us.

Reaction Score
Hopefully we'll get to see that scenario next year, as well as a veteran Adams running the point.

The pain of this season will be worth it in the long run.
I hope thats the case. These kids have shown albeit small but theyve shown they have some serious talent with a lot of upside.

Reaction Score
In order to be a difference maker at this level you have to be able to score/shoot. He has showed he can shoot and has a nice touch. He will be stronger next season and I'm sure his playing time will go up and you'll see him "hopefully" be one of their best options on offense. He has a very high upside. Much higher than Jackson. Jackson has not shown me anything yet. If he can hit 40% of his 3's then he will be an asset. If he doesn't hit his outside shot, he is not adding much to the team because he is very slow footed and not a good defender. Just my 2 cents if anyone cares.
He's not assertive, Jackson that is, when he catches at the 3 pt line covered he should drive if he can. Don't know if he can do that without getting stripped but I think he has touch for midrange shots and good hands inside.

Reaction Score
Thats why all these injuries make me sick to my stomach. Can you imagine Durham,Gil and Larrier healthy and running at 100%?!!! All 3 of those guys a stud talents and its a shame that theyve been held back by injury. Diarra i havent seen but ive read hes a talented rebounder.

I think the one blessing of the Larrier injury is that Durham, and to a lesser extent Enoch, are now going to come along more quickly than they would have otherwise.

Reaction Score
No doubt Durham will be a great player for us before his time here is up. Keep in mind the kid went from not playing ball for 1.5 years to playing at a high Division 1 level. I expected him to not be fully ready. His time will come.
I'm not sure how long he has been playing, but I am 99% confident that he is a perfect manifestation of the difference between starting playing ball when you are in elementary school vs whenyouhitpubertyandgrowsupertallsowhelpmightaswellgivebasketballatry.

His smoothness, passing ability, not being a liability in man-man D, and BBall IQ is stunningly better than Brimah's and Facey's. But besides that, although it is a little slow even for a big man, his shot has been looking pure. I don't really get how he has only taken 7 shots all year and has not taken a single free throw. Kid gets touches and turns it over the least, maybe he hasn't quite worked up the strength to try to bang down low yet. He should be feeling confident in his shot. Looking forward to him getting a lot more minutes as the year goes on; besides last night and Chaminade, dude has played 7 minutes or fewer in all other games.

Reaction Score
I don't really get how he has only taken 7 shots all year and has not taken a single free throw.

It's because when he shoots, he goes straight up and has a high release, and he is tall. I don't think anyone is going to block his shot. He doesn't drive so... how are you going to foul him?

Reaction Score
It's because when he shoots, he goes straight up and has a high release, and he is tall. I don't think anyone is going to block his shot. He doesn't drive so... how are you going to foul him?
He's averaging 0.11 shots per minute, which is by far the lowest on the team. So he really is just taking fewer shots in the first place.

I think averaging 9 minutes per game is a factor. I also believe that his being more face-up oriented has something to do with it. Even when he is the biggest guy out there he's really still the 4; not seeing him trying to post up much. I really just figured that 64 minutes in, kid would have done something to get fouled by now

Reaction Score
Just want to say re: Enoch... someone's clearly gotten into him about the importance of boxing out. I think we actually rebound better with him on the floor now because he just immediately puts a body on the guy nearest him.

It's a subtle thing, and honestly it's a thing you shouldn't have to teach a sophomore in college... but it is what it is. And for us it's been a positive step in his long road to development.

When you are 6 foot 1 in High School ball, that is all it ever is about. Using your body and leverage to get position, and good technique to rebound as a TEAM. My bet is that Steven Enoch got away through Norwalk HS and into Prep with being less than fundamental. Reach and there is the ball and I am 5 inches above everyone else. I am not denigrating Saint Thomas More or early UConn, it just took this kid some time. But ... OMG ... when his hands are up after a ball, they are quick and sure. Unfortunately, two things having to do with confidence are still not quite there.

Reaction Score
When you are 6 foot 1 in High School ball, that is all it ever is about. Using your body and leverage to get position, and good technique to rebound as a TEAM. My bet is that Steven Enoch got away through Norwalk HS and into Prep with being less than fundamental. Reach and there is the ball and I am 5 inches above everyone else. I am not denigrating Saint Thomas More or early UConn, it just took this kid some time. But ... OMG ... when his hands are up after a ball, they are quick and sure. Unfortunately, two things having to do with confidence are still not quite there.

Pudge.....he spent a lot of time on the pines at stm because he didn't understand most facets of defense.......a lot of it was swept aside because of how young he was...but my god the time spent on fundamentals was exorbitant.....expectected more and then he gets the gatorade poy.....i was just very puzzled......it's starting to get through but any consistency of performance i don't see until next year....having cv close will mean a lot to him...also in the prep league most of the time he was up against guys as tall and large as he was.

Reaction Score
jeesh. there are a lot of people here trying to come up with excuses for why Enoch isn't good- and then trying to find areas where he is good and has "improved."

that is such a stretch. the kid has just shown zero skill so far. zero. none. he's not a D1 player right now.

Reaction Score
jeesh. there are a lot of people here trying to come up with excuses for why Enoch isn't good- and then trying to find areas where he is good and has "improved."

that is such a stretch. the kid has just shown zero skill so far. zero. none. he's not a D1 player right now.
Has the best post moves on the team , but whatever he has no skill.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Sometimes I wish we could put a second brain in the tails of our bigs. The larger dinosaurs needed it and they managed to survive millions of years.

Except Brimah. Watching him is like watching Randy in Christmas Story running around in his winter coat. I'm wondering if Ritalin would help.

I noticed the boxing out as @Matrim55 pointed out. Mixed feelings about it. Noticed times where Kentan and Steve moved toward their player who could be 7 -10 feet from the basket instead of spotting them and moving toward basket for a rebound if they realized they had the floor advantage. This goes along with what @Rocktheworld has stated.

Kentan, Steve and Amida just lack the bb IQ to anticipate plays on the defensive end. They're more reactive than proactive other than Amida's blocking instincts but even these can be easily neutralized by players going into his body or his player moving away from the basket. He's really bad against other players pick and roll plays or a 5 with decent shooting and ball handling skills. It's why Kentan played Lydon.

At least Kentan has shown me in the last two games he's decent at reacting when playing the 5 and the team is playing zone. And he's decent against the zone on offense. For me the jury is out when playing man to man or going against that type of defense. His play against Lydon gives me the most hope.

Steve is way ahead with his offensive mind set compared to his defensive mind set. Really decent foot work and a nice touch when shooting. Had a bad game against Syracuse. Defense is another story. He often is watching the game instead of his player or what the ball is going to do on the defensive end. At least with Amida it's 4 1/2 against 5 when UConn is on offense. With Steve it's 5/4 when he's playing defense.

Durham is a skilled player. Hard to tell what the impact of the history with his knees will have on his development.

Kentan, Steve and Amida are players that UConn was forced to consider because of CR, Calhoun retiring and the APR sanctions. (My blood still boils over the APR and watching the delay this year with North Carolina)

Durham was the first legit big and unfortunately for UConn he suffered that second injury. It's why I still can't determine if the coaching is the problem for bigs or circumstances that are still playing out which the coaches have no control over.

Reaction Score
I don't want Durham mixing it up or getting too much contact. He will play the 4 or even the 5 eventually but he is really a stretch 3 at this point. He simply isn't physically where he needs to be to succeed inside. And given his injury history, the less contact the better. With a little seasoning, he could be very effective against the zone. Get some good minutes out of him. Put him in hte middle of the zone, shot or pass, as long as he doesn't turn it over, he's an asset.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score

Impressive hyperbole.

Enoch definitely has skill, but lacks the awareness to keep up the pace and probably doesn't have much confidence yet. He's also only 1 year into his career and the age of most freshman.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I haven't read every post, but I agree with much of what I read, Durham's development may be a bit slow, as in this year, but I think he's going to be REALLY good.

It's one of the reasons I haven't written off this program and even this year, as shockingly horrific as we've played.

I think a ton of our issues are things that young players just don't get immediately. Maybe our young guys are even taking longer than others, but so many of our pieces this year AND the future look so promising.

It's not crazy to see a leap in 5-6 guys and watch a team mature in front of our eyes. Then add in next year's recruits, and start to get excited.

Reaction Score
Impressive hyperbole.

Enoch definitely has skill, but lacks the awareness to keep up the pace and probably doesn't have much confidence yet. He's also only 1 year into his career and the age of most freshman.

He's also a sophomore and looks like he's going to have to make MAJOR leaps to be relevant next season, his junior year. Like major, major improvement. I'm encouraged by his size, but that's about it.

Reaction Score

You don't know what to look for.

Reaction Score
He's also a sophomore and looks like he's going to have to make MAJOR leaps to be relevant next season, his junior year. Like major, major improvement. I'm encouraged by his size, but that's about it.
He's not going to be the same player he is today in March either, though. By the end of this year, maybe the jump to "relevancy" won't be that far at all. We're only one week into December.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Sometimes I wish we could put a second brain in the tails of our bigs. The larger dinosaurs needed it and they managed to survive millions of years.

Except Brimah. Watching him is like watching Randy in Christmas Story running around in his winter coat. I'm wondering if Ritalin would help.

I just loved those two paragraphs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01