OT: - Durant, his future, and Raptors fans | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Durant, his future, and Raptors fans

Reaction Score
a@nelsonmuntz your takes are just incorrect. He got hurt. Fell down. The entire stadium erupted. Fans closest to him waved him goodbye. Raptors players, and I cannot stress this enough, literally had to tell the entire stadium to shut up. Then the applauded him as he walked out. That's the exact chain of events. Their applause for him at the end doesn't make up for the lack of class that was displayed by the majority of the fanbase one minute earlier.

Edit: It was in the heat of the moment but still doesn't matter. Anyways, I wonder if he will opt into his contract with GSW this summer and take the money and the year off to rehab. Very possible.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Can't believe I'm even dignifying your gaslighting but as has been said over and over the initial reaction was cheering the injury before Lowry, Ibaka, Siakim, and other Raptors players scolded the crowd.

I doubt you watched the game but I know you know what happened and are doing your gaslighting act.
Watch "Raptors fans cheer after Kevin Durant goes down | 2019 NBA Finals | Golic and Wingo" on YouTube

I didn't watch it. Seeing these videos, including this one...are we sure that most fans aren't just cheering a steal and fast break dunk? You can't tell he's really hurt at that point. He falls down way behind the play, which continues. And that's from a close camera angle, almost nobody in the arena has a view like that.

Reaction Score
Other than the fact that I provided two videos that support my position 100%, and even the most damning video of the Toronto fans, from the angle showing the section under the Toronto basket, has about 15 Raptors fans in a section of 1,000 waving at Durant, sure, I am gaslighting.

I was in the lower level. Fans were visibly cheering the moment he went down. The guy next to me made a display of waving goodbye to Durant. But carry on with whatever this is.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I didn't watch it. Seeing these videos, including this one...are we sure that most fans aren't just cheering a steal and fast break dunk? You can't tell he's really hurt at that point. He falls down way behind the play, which continues. And that's from a close camera angle, almost nobody in the arena has a view like that.

Most fans were watching the ball and had no idea that Durant was hurt.

Reaction Score
Really was disgusting but this is what happens when you are quite literally the best player in the world and people know your chances go up greatly with him injured.

Never understood the hate for KD doing what he thought was best for him. When players are loyal to a team and the front office trades or cuts them loose like Derozen or IT, fans are 100% fine with this but let the player take their future in their own hands and they are literally the devil.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I was in the lower level. Fans were visibly cheering the moment he went down. The guy next to me made a display of waving goodbye to Durant. But carry on with whatever this is.

The fans were cheering the steal and fastbreak, unless you are arguing that every video of the incident is a forgery.

Are you saying the guy next to you was able to diagnose a torn achilles the instant it happened? That guy must be some kind of medical wizard.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
a@nelsonmuntz your takes are just incorrect. He got hurt. Fell down. The entire stadium erupted. Fans closest to him waved him goodbye. Raptors players, and I cannot stress this enough, literally had to tell the entire stadium to shut up. Then the applauded him as he walked out. That's the exact chain of events. Their applause for him at the end doesn't make up for the lack of class that was displayed by the majority of the fanbase one minute earlier.

Edit: It was in the heat of the moment but still doesn't matter. Anyways, I wonder if he will opt into his contract with GSW this summer and take the money and the year off to rehab. Very possible.

Your opinion is just wrong. WATCH THE VIDEOS. I linked two, there are also others. They all show the same thing. We don't all get our own opinions on this when there is video evidence that says exactly the opposite. There were a handful of fans making gestures, and unless you are a mindreader, you don't know what they were thinking either. 90% of the fans were watching the ball until play stopped. That is on video. 90% of the fans gave him a standing ovation as he was carried out of the arena. Also on video.

90% of posters in this thread jumped on a stupid, gaslit story designed to make couch jockeys feel superior to an entire nation. Congratulations on being duped.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Can't believe I'm even dignifying your gaslighting but as has been said over and over the initial reaction was cheering the injury before Lowry, Ibaka, Siakim, and other Raptors players scolded the crowd.

I doubt you watched the game but I know you know what happened and are doing your gaslighting act.
Watch "Raptors fans cheer after Kevin Durant goes down | 2019 NBA Finals | Golic and Wingo" on YouTube

They are chanting "KD" in this video. I don't know why the players got mad at the fans when they started cheering when KD was helped to his feet. As a fan, that is what you do when a player that is hurt gets to their feet. You do it at an NBA game, and at a YMCA 4th grade rec league game.

Your video tells the same story as mine, right up to the point that some assclown on the G&W show goes on an attention seeking rant.

Reaction Score
Sports went the way of ancient Rome quick. NBA is not even 100 years old. Athletes have become modern day gladiators.

This injury will be remembered for a very long time.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
The fans were cheering the steal and fastbreak, unless you are arguing that every video of the incident is a forgery.

Are you saying the guy next to you was able to diagnose a torn achilles the instant it happened? That guy must be some kind of medical wizard.

I mean the man said he was at the game...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I mean the man said he was at the game...

Then all he has to say is that the guy was a medical wizard and every video is a forgery.

Steven A. Smith is on the "Toronto fans are evil" bandwagon with most of the posters in this thread, so I know I am right to take the opposite position.

Reaction Score
Were you in the baseline section where he got hurt? Half those fans were waving goodbye to him. Glad the Raptors players stepped in and told them how to behave.

Awesome seats, other than that how was the game/atmosphere?

Poe

Reaction Score
Give me break, fans any non-home arena would have reacted the same way. This says nothing about the Toronto fan base. Unless a player is rolling around in severe pain or unconscious fans are going to assume it’s something minor and will cheer.

Reaction Score
You're trying way too hard. It's a weird hill to die on. As soon as Durant went down there was a pretty sizable contingent of fans cheering (or, more accurately, jeering) him. I don't know what you're babbling about when you say the guy next to me could diagnose his injury. Falling on the ground, holding your lower leg, and motioning for the training staff is a pretty universal signal for "I'm hurt."

Keep fighting this fight though.

Reaction Score
Hockey fans seem to be more thoughtful of injury, ironically.

Reaction Score
Were you in the baseline section where he got hurt? Half those fans were waving goodbye to him. Glad the Raptors players stepped in and told them how to behave.

Awesome seats, other than that how was the game/atmosphere?

More center court area, back a little bit. Good seats though. Great arena, fantastic atmosphere. Hadn't been to Toronto since I went to Skydome with my dad when it first opened when I was a kid. Definitely worth checking out.

Reaction Score
I’m really not getting the rather obtuse pushback here. Clearly the fans initially cheered KD going down, but then caught themselves to give him an ovation.
That’s not a general condemning of all Toronto fans, but it’s what happened.
Kind of weird to fight a pointless battle that serves little to no purpose.

Reaction Score
I’m really not getting the rather obtuse pushback here. Clearly the fans initially cheered KD going down, but then caught themselves to give him an ovation.
That’s not a general condemning of all Toronto fans, but it’s what happened.
Kind of weird to fight a pointless battle that serves little to no purpose.
It was more heat of the moment kind of thing, just didn't like it. I did want to bring attention to KD's character though, for I always feel like he gets a lazy and bad rep. This should've proved all that wrong.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You're trying way too hard. It's a weird hill to die on. As soon as Durant went down there was a pretty sizable contingent of fans cheering (or, more accurately, jeering) him. I don't know what you're babbling about when you say the guy next to me could diagnose his injury. Falling on the ground, holding your lower leg, and motioning for the training staff is a pretty universal signal for "I'm hurt."

Keep fighting this fight though.

The entire premise of this "debate" is based on a fact pattern that feeds a common narrative but doesn't exist in this situation. The videos speak for themselves.

Here are the hills I am dying on:

1) Faux indignity has become a staple of our culture and particularly our media, which leads to:

2) The reflex of sports broadcasters to point and condemn in an endless cycle of manipulating their listeners into thinking they are superior by shaming others, which leads to:

3) Gross generalizations of thousands of people in an arena as "classless" and "disgusting".

This whole episode is the modern version of pointing at someone and screaming "witch".

Reaction Score
Just need to get it off my chest that what the Toronto fans did last night when KD got injured was disgusting. How can you cheer when a guy gets one of the worst injuries in the game...just sad. Cuttos to the Raptors players for telling them to shut up. Also gained a lot of respect for KD. All the hate he gets about not being a competitor is crazy. He clearly wasn't 100% but he put his health, and future, on the line for his team during an elimination game. I was never a KD fan, I'm a Celtics fan lol, but I still was disheartened with what I saw last night. In other news...this definitely shakes up the free agency around the league this summer. Gonna be interesting to see how this plays out.
Get over yourself, the people in the crowd do not know what happened! No one knows he tore his Achilles in that moment so stop talking about "that kind of injury", on top of it, while I don't wish injury nor catastrophic injury on anyone, Durant is a punk. I was annoyed by the way he tough talked van vleet just prior in the game, after clearly fouling him and getting called for it. Very big of the perennial all star to trash talk and on an undrafted barely 6' tall player in the league, he deserves every player and fans endless admiration and respect...

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Get over yourself, the people in the crowd do not know what happened! No one knows he tore his Achilles in that moment so stop talking about "that kind of injury", on top of it, while I don't wish injury nor catastrophic injury on anyone, Durant is a punk. I was annoyed by the way he tough talked van vleet just prior in the game, after clearly fouling him and getting called for it. Very big of the perennial all star to trash talk and on an undrafted barely 6' tall player in the league, he deserves every player and fans endless admiration and respect...

So all the players on the court who were telling the fans to chill were wrong but you behind your keyboard know exactly what was going on...lol I love the yard.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
More center court area, back a little bit. Good seats though. Great arena, fantastic atmosphere. Hadn't been to Toronto since I went to Skydome with my dad when it first opened when I was a kid. Definitely worth checking out.
Sounds awesome.

He's still going and now he's doing a FrankIvy critique on our culture...

Reaction Score
So all the players on the country who were telling the fans to chill were wrong but you behind your keyboard know exactly what was going on...lol I love the yard.
This place is insane. You can hear the fans booing him, you can see all the fans waving bye to him, you can see Ibaka, Siakim, Green, and Lowry motioning for the crowd to stop.

It's amazing people will gaslight something as trivial as this.

Reaction Score
Basically, Toronto fans proved that they are just like any other fan base in any other city. There are always a few bad apples in every crowd. But we live in the era of fake outrage and over reaction so everything gets blown out of proportion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom