Durant giving KO Props | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Durant giving KO Props

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I apologize for my reckless whimsy that has caused some panties to bunch up.

It was not my intent to cause angst and chafing.

I shall take some time to reflect the damage that words and undergarments may cause and I hope to return a more responsible individual.

Reaction Score
The most desirable thing may be what you cannot have. For many years that has been waking up in Glastonbury where your family is. Sitting at a dinner table with your wife after she has done her amazing job all day. How much $ do you suppose Ollie spent too buy time in that house with his kids while he was an NBA nomad? He is here as long as his kids are home and forever if the UConn players are as much his kids as they have been so far.

Reaction Score
The way I look at it, we've got him at least until his daughter goes off to college, so another 5 years or so. After that, who knows? Obviously Kevin loves UConn, loves helping young people become productive adults, so I wouldn't be shocked if he decides that coaching at UConn is his calling. At the same time, the NBA is the NBA and he's incredibly well respected at that level. I'm sure his name's going to come up all the time when jobs open up.

Lol - I was lazily reading this towards the end of my work day. All of a sudden I woke up when I realized that I had interpreted it as meaning KO won't need NBA money until his daughter goes to college.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Y'all got your pantys in a bunch over a whimsical statement by Fishy (I commented as well).

Ollie will leave for the NBA the day UConn gets an invite to Eastern Conference as a replacement for the Knicks.

Everything I've seen about that deal is that it's a straight up swap as the AAC looks to bolster its bottom half.

Reaction Score
The most desirable thing may be what you cannot have. For many years that has been waking up in Glastonbury where your family is. Sitting at a dinner table with your wife after she has done her amazing job all day. How much $ do you suppose Ollie spent too buy time in that house with his kids while he was an NBA nomad? He is here as long as his kids are home and forever if the UConn players are as much his kids as they have been so far.
I really liked your post. It suggests that Kevin Ollie may be ours for as long as he wants to coach basketball anywhere. I agree that he's been that nomad to challenge himself and to prove to himself and others that he's got "the right stuff" and in doing that he made himself a bunch of money. Now I feel he's much more about enjoying giving back at Storrs by teaching and molding kids like he himself had been molded while having the home life that was missing while living as that NBA nomad. Huskieville is better for it!

Reaction Score
On a little different note, Simmons has really parlayed a couple funny articles a week into lots of much higher profile stuff that he's just not good at.

Could not possibly agree more.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
On a little different note, Simmons has really parlayed a couple funny articles a week into lots of much higher profile stuff that he's just not good at.
Just like Jeff Goodman. Well, except for Jeff didn't have any good articles first.

Reaction Score
he loves the narrative more than the game, too caught up in making an unnecessary 90210 metaphor. usually gets pwned when he crosses paths with a real dude; he had a podcast with old ass bill fitch where that happened. or this.
https://vine.co/v/hp70aV9Ob6L/embed/simple

Reaction Score
i-came-ghostbuster.jpg

Reaction Score

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Huh? 30 for 30 is a huge success so to be fair you would have to say he is a good producer. And Grantland is not just a success, it's a game-changer so you would have to say he is a good editor. I will say he is not as successful as an on-screen presence. But even then, when he called out Doc Rivers on live-TV he was later proved correct.

Reaction Score
Yeah. Durant brought him up almost out of the blue. Simmons was pushing him on veteran leadership, and did say that they didn't have anyone those first few years, which is what brough up Ollie. But it shows how much they all respected and love KO that he not only brought him up (and as much as I might trash Fisher, he had a much better overall career than KO), but he spoke at length about his impact. It's a great moment. You don't see that happening for many other college coaches out there.

Good point, the great thing is that he brought him up on his own. It's not like he was asked for his thoughts on Kevin Ollie.

Reaction Score
Huh? 30 for 30 is a huge success so to be fair you would have to say he is a good producer. And Grantland is not just a success, it's a game-changer so you would have to say he is a good editor. I will say he is not as successful as an on-screen presence. But even then, when he called out Doc Rivers on live-TV he was later proved correct.

Grantland and 30 for 30's are awesome and I like his articles. However, I don't think he is the best on-air guy. He always comes across awkward on tv.

Reaction Score
I remember watching some NBA commentary a few years ago. Someone asked Chris Webber (retired at the time) about the importance of veteran leadership. He said it was very important. He said that, when certain veterans talk, players listen. He then said something similar to this: "When a guy like Kevin Ollie talked to you, you knew you had to pay attention." I wish I could find the clip, but can't seem to. I am pretty sure KO was an assistant at UConn when Webber said this.

Reaction Score

Connor Schell does the legwork on 30 for 30. Just like Dan Fierman carries the load on Grantland. Although I suppose you could say that Simmons has pulled together a nice collection of writers. In what sense is it a "gamechanger" though?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Connor Schell does the legwork on 30 for 30. Just like Dan Fierman carries the load on Grantland. Although I suppose you could say that Simmons has pulled together a nice collection of writers. In what sense is it a "gamechanger" though?

So 30 for 30 and Grantland happen without Simmons? OK. And I said gamechanger because of the influence it seems to have after just a short time. For instance, MMQB was directly inspired by Grantland. And Grantland was cited as a reason Nate Silver chose to leave the New York Times and come to ESPN.

Reaction Score
I'll give him credit for whatever part he had in 30 for 30, but I don't know how Grantland is an overwhelming success. I don't even have it bookmarked anymore. As much as I tried to like it, it just under delivered over and over and over for me.

Reaction Score
Since people decided to kill Simmons for ignoring the Ollie statement in the Durant interview, I am surprised that no one mentioned that in this weeks podcast with UConn hater JackO, he mentioned how it surprised him to hear that. Just was unprepared for the answer and no time to formulate a follow up.

The conversation also started speculating how if OKC disappoints with a 1st or 2nd round upset, maybe they fire Brooks and hire the hot Kevin Ollie.

We are doomed!

Reaction Score
Lock him down with another 5 year extension for big bucks after the FF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom