Duos | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Duos

Reaction Score
Hank Gathers & Bo Kimble @ Loyola Marymount - 1990 (time flies)

One of my favorite sports pics, Bo shooting left-handed to honor Hank
IMG_0517.jpeg

Reaction Score
If they hadn't juiced, McGwire and Conseco would be up there for me, but that duo lost a lot of luster for me when the whole steroids thing happened.
For basketball, for me, it has to be Jordan & Pippen. When I was younger, I was hoping Shaq & Penny would be teamed up for a decade, but then Shaq left.

Reaction Score
Channing Frye and Salim Stoudamire.

It's a bit of a deep cut, but I felt this Arizona duo was the Gordon/Okafor of the 2005 Tournament and picked them to win it all, which they came close to doing before blowing a 15 point lead in 3 minutes to Illinois in the Elite 8.
Deron Williams & Dee Brown

Reaction Score
Ed Cooley and a side chick
I would say that side chick will ultimately benefit Providence. I am in agreement with August West on this one.

Before Ed Cooley:
Since the formation of the Big East and before Ed Cooley took over PC (1979-2011), Providence had only gone to the NCAAT 7 times in the 30+ year span which included 2 very successful seasons in 1987 with a Final Four appearance and 1997 going to the Elite 8 and forcing overtime against the eventual national champs in Arizona. Between 1999-2011 years, the Tim Welsh years (99-08) were underwhelming with only 2 NCAAT appearances, both first round exits, and the Keno Davis years were God awful, regrettable, and forgettable.

Ed Cooley gets hired:
Ed Cooley did a very good job in resurrecting Providence from the abyss of irrelevance as he took PC 7 NCAAT appearances in 12 years including one Sweet 16 in 2022. He deserves a lot of credit as he reinvigorated the PC fanbase. Cooley got PC consistently competitive and contending to make the NCAAT every year even if they didn't make it some years.

However, look at his results with PC, it looks like there was hard ceiling as he almost never made it to the second weekend of the NCAAT. And the PC administration would never have had the guts to fire him or at least put Cooley on a hot seat since his years were better than most of the years from 1979 to when he took over. Also, they wouldn't dare want to face the backlash as Cooley was a beloved local guy from Providence and with basically a teflon image of a loveable TV Dad that was heavily involved in the community.

Will Kim English do better? I don't know, but according to Friar Talk he is trying to instill a fast paced offense where they will shoot in about 10 seconds or less on average. He also got Jamier Jones, the #16 ranked overall recruit in 2025 and Oswin Erhunmwunse, the #31 ranked overall recruit in 2025.

What does all this mean? This is my longwinded way of saying that side chick might ultimately lead to better things for PC basketball so PC fans should prepare to raise their wine glasses to commemorate the side chick :D

P.S. I am almost certain I will copy past this message sometime in the middle of the season if PC does well.

Reaction Score
If they hadn't juiced, McGwire and Conseco would be up there for me, but that duo lost a lot of luster for me when the whole steroids thing happened.
For basketball, for me, it has to be Jordan & Pippen. When I was younger, I was hoping Shaq & Penny would be teamed up for a decade, but then Shaq left.
I don’t care the bash brothers entertained me and mlb profited off of them a bunch of hypocrites.

Reaction Score
MLB

Walker and Helton
Bagwell and Biggio
Scherzer and Verlander

NBA

Cousy and Russell
Reed and Frazier
Payton and Kemp
Mourning and LJ
Olajuwon and Drexler
KG and Marbury
Penny and Shaq
Magic and Kareem
Big O and Kareem
Unseld and Hayes
Lebron and Wade
Lebron and Kyrie
Pierce and Walker
The splash brothers

NFL

Montana and Rice
Lewis and Reed
Haynes and Hayes
Stallworth and Swann
Carter and Moss
Peyton and Harrison
Parcells and Belichick ( the 2 Bills)

Reaction Score
Mays and Mantle were rivals, but constitute a duo. Arguments with my neighbor often led to a physical altercation. He was 2 years older and had fast hands, so Mays(him) bested Mantle(me) every time other than the occasional sucker punch and run like heck.

Reaction Score
I don't know if they qualify as dynamic, but I bring them up because I saw Caron Butler and UConn lose to them in the 2002 regional final. Played 4 years together and put up 2,269 and 1,858 points

Juan Dixon & Lonnie Baxter

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom