Dunn leaving to become Jets TE coach | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dunn leaving to become Jets TE coach

Reaction Score
If AD Dave had any balls he would 100% bring Briles here. He’s gonna be a coach again why not get him to Storrs

Reaction Score
Wow. This is not good and there is absolutely no way to spin this as anything but more gas being poured on a dumpster fire.

Until the AD decides to pay coaches competitive salaries and invest more into the program it is going to be like this for the foreseeable future.

And our new President looks like he is cool with the status quo. Fun times.

We need an AD and Coach with a strategic vision with action steps on how to get there.

AAC is reality. We are never going to a P5 conference. So let’s accept that as an AD and determine how to be successful in a horrid conference. Because right now we are a laughing stock in the sports that matter.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Atmospherics and environment starts at the top. If Dunn was leaving for a NFL OC ok but leaving to Coach TEs at apparently the same pay? Lashlee, Grimes, Richardson and now Dunn leave. Our top assistants leave.
So much for transparency last night too.
Maybe you are right but maybe you are wrong
The Lashlee experiment was a joke brought on by DB - the guy never wanted to be here - he wanted HC or SEC/P5 environment - it was a idiotic move by DB but par for the course with him
Sometimes guys leave because the fit is better at that time in their careers or if they feel more comfortable in a certain environment (Dunn - the pro game is more attractive to him)
These last 6 years have not been good and sometimes guys don't want to hang with a losing program
It's not always the HC's personality
This is unfortunate for UConn but good for Dunn - at the end of the day that's all that counts
Good Luck Coach but I won't be wishing the same to the Jets - that's for sure!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This is the most inept athletic department of all time. What a clown show.
Couldn't agree with you more
Herbst leaving is a good step one - Poly Sci professor - yeah
Showing DB the door is next - maybe Auburn is looking for a head uniform/towel boy
Time to hit the restart button
It's all on the new President and should be job 1 or at least 1a

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Couple of thoughts:

1) Following this program just keeps getting better and better. Can you imagine anyone willfully forking over money for season tickets out of a sense of entertainment and not obligation?

2) The school needs to put some money into football or just shut it down. I've been an advocate of keeping it afloat instead of killing it, but they are killing it right now and losing millions in doing so.

3) I never blame a person for taking a job that they think is going to better them, but as far as I know, Edsall paid out of his pocket recently to give Dunn a raise and he still bails for a job that pays the same?

4) BS move by UConn to announce this the day after signing day. I get the why, but if Dunn was a/the reason you came here, you signed and then pulled the rug out from beneath you, how would you feel?

5) The season ticket thread is absolutely frightening to read if you are in the AD. If this deranged pocket of the internet has no interest in going to games anymore (me from out of state haven't been in 3 seasons) and your in-state residents don't want to pick up season tickets or individual tickets, there is a serious serious problem.

6) Does this mean Dunn can/cannot access the Husky LinkedIN Network? Would be a shame if he didn't take that into consideration here. Sounds like a question for an administrator or consultant.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Honestly, this is the kind of thing that should put Randy’s job on the line. He believed Dunn was HC in waiting here while the guy was clearly looking for any line to get out the door. Randy clearly drives coaches away at an alarming rate. Pay is part of the equation, but I would imagine Randy’s leadership style may have a lot to do with it as well. We can’t afford to have him any longer

Reaction Score
As a KU Grad, I didn't think I would ever see a program pass KU in ineptitude, but bravo UConn!

Edsall is not the answer. Either AD Dave bucks up and shells out the money for a real coach and staff or take it out back and shoot the program in the head. KU got a new AD that was invested in football, raised the money and hired a real coach and staff, and KU just had its most successful signing day in school history.

Reaction Score
No one in a death spiral likes to admit they are in a death spiral.
The ship be sinking. Not that it was ever floating since Randy came back. This mess is 100 percent on Benedict. Hopefully the new president has a plan.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I see why Dunn had to go. His friend is the OC for the Jets and he gets to work less hours as a position coach with the same pay. My spin- he is getting paid the same money in the NFL as he was in college. Knowing Randy took money out of his own pocket and wanted him to take over made this slam dunk decision not an easy decision.

My concern is hopefully due to timing- promoting 2 grad assistants at once is scary more for recruiting than anything else. I would almost rather see Randy poach Fordham for old assistant coaches than promoting a grad assistant twice.

Friendship

Filled With My Husky Friends
Reaction Score
We should kick Edsall to the curb with the rest of the people leaving

Reaction Score
It's not uncommon for coaches to wait until after signing day to leave a program. Terry Richardson literally walked right out of Miami's event in 2013 and took a job as the Jaguars RB coach. I don't know how long Dunn knew about this but I think Randy had some notice prior to signing day.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
the roster is worse than last year. of course everyone is looking for a safe harbor

This is what people don’t mention enough. We should be worse this year. Maybe better on defense, but surely a dip on offense. We lost the guy who was by far our best player

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
And lets all remember, Dunn was HC in waiting.....he walked away from that as well.

The Putterman story quotes paint the prettiest picture possible - that Dunn with his young family didn't like the college coaching lifestyle with its heavy travel component (ie endless recruiting travel). Maybe that is true, time will tell as Dunn surely will have many more jobs after the Jets which is either validate or undermine this narrative.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
AD David Benedict better be feeling some heat. His football hire has somehow lit the team into even more of a dumpster fire than when he inherited it. New President that is committed to FBS football and cares about the athletics department. Will be interesting to watch.

Friendship

Filled With My Husky Friends
Reaction Score
AD David Benedict better be feeling some heat. His football hire has somehow lit the team into even more of a dumpster fire than when he inherited it. New President that is committed to FBS football and cares about the athletics department. Will be interesting to watch.

Seems like this is an inside job. DB's hiring Edsall was meant to finally kill the program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom