OT: - Dumbest Plays in Sports History | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Dumbest Plays in Sports History

Reaction Score
Sorry, but it's going to take more than that to unseat Jim Marshall.

I mean, Marshall lost his sense of direction during the play, which led him to run the wrong way on the fumble recovery...But what Jakobi did was to extend the last play of regulation from going into overtime. It just didn't make any sense for him to arrive at that conclusion.

What's funny was Mac Jones being reduced to a bystander watching the disaster unfold in front of / on top of / past him.

Reaction Score
I still can’t believe that play. I think jacoby Myers got nervous because Stevenson lateraled it to him and he was probably like “oh sh—- I gotta keep this going”. Still no excuse for throwing it backwards on a lob 15 yards across the field to the qb of all people when u are just trying to run clock out. Also , nice job Mac of trying anything in your power to stop chandler Jones from running that to the house. Kick trip him, hold onto his jersey for dear life, anything. Pathetic

Reaction Score
Dan O running out of his own end zone is unfortunately up there.

As a Pats fan, watching this unfold was just torturous - especially after that TD call was wrongfully upheld. Tough night.
Yeah - also, how the hell was that a TD? His toes were clearly on the white line. What a disaster the end of that game was for pats fans. I bet pats +2.5 and could not believe they upheld that TD. Everyone going to talk about the final play but that call was ridiculous

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I laughed out loud when this play happened in real time. Just end the season. Poor Mac Jones. Thank god for Dan Hurley.
That’s what my wife said, all you can do is laugh.

Reaction Score
Is there a quintuple facepalm? Because that deserved it. The only possible argument to keep it out of the top spot was that they might have lost in OT anyway. It didn’t necessarily determine the outcome. Both laterals were stupid, but Mondre was the reason they were been in the game.
I'm so torn by this play. On the one hand I'm a patriots fan, on the other, my fantasy team has the LV defense and this play keeps puts me 3 pts behind my opponent with Cam Akers playing for me tomorrow.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Is there a quintuple facepalm? Because that deserved it. The only possible argument to keep it out of the top spot was that they might have lost in OT anyway. It didn’t necessarily determine the outcome. Both laterals were stupid, but Mondre was the reason they were been in the game.

I'm not sure Patricia saw how good Stevenson was doing, because he kept putting the ball in Mac Jones' hands, the drive killer. He makes ten bad plays a game.

I was at the game. Couldn't believe what I saw. Simply astonishing. The last two minutes were as bizarre as it gets. That play will make people forget how incompetent replay officials really are

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Meyers made a dumb play. But I see what he's thinking. "Stevenson got stopped and lateraled to me, I've got to keep this going and try to score. Oh, there's our QB, let's get it to him." But yeah dumb. Lost his mind in the heat of the moment.

I'm almost more alarmed at Mac Jones. No effort to get to the ball that Meyers threw and at least try to knock it down making it a scramble to recover. And a pathetic effort at taking down Chandler Jones. Which, if he had tried to get to the ball in the first place, would have been a lot more likely before Chandler got up a head of steam toward the goal line.

Reaction Score
Which bonehead Lett play are you referencing - dropping the ball before reaching the end zone in the SB, or touching the blocked FG in the snow on Thanksgiving vs MIami?
As a Miami fan, Leon Lett will always hold a special place in my heart.

Reaction Score
Meyers made a dumb play. But I see what he's thinking. "Stevenson got stopped and lateraled to me, I've got to keep this going and try to score. Oh, there's our QB, let's get it to him." But yeah dumb. Lost his mind in the heat of the moment.

I'm almost more alarmed at Mac Jones. No effort to get to the ball that Meyers threw and at least try to knock it down making it a scramble to recover. And a pathetic effort at taking down Chandler Jones. Which, if he had tried to get to the ball in the first place, would have been a lot more likely before Chandler got up a head of steam toward the goal line.
His effort is still better than his QB play.

Reaction Score
Which bonehead Lett play are you referencing - dropping the ball before reaching the end zone in the SB, or touching the blocked FG in the snow on Thanksgiving vs MIami?
Gotta be the latter.

He didn't drop the ball before reaching the end zone. He slowed up (not clear if hot-dogging or just running out of gas) and got it slapped out from behind by Don Beebe.

Desean Jackson, however, did drop the ball before crossing the goal line.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Mac wasn't good yesterday, but he's not dumb. I think he was as perplexed as the rest of us...a "is this really happening?" moment. He took the blame, said it was his fault, but it wasn't.

Reaction Score
I've seen this happen on defense too. They get an interception or a fumble, the first guy gets overly ambitious and laterals it, and you can practically see the next guy think "oh s___, I guess we're doing this" and make an ill-advised lateral himself.

Somebody needs to think for himself out there sometime.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
The Patriots may have just moved to the top of the list.
The last few days have to be torture for Patriot fans. The play is on every highlight on every show about football over the weekend. Having to watch that over and over again must be horrid.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen anyone comment on the most obvious component of this moronic play: What the hell was Mac gonna do if he got the ball there? There was no one else to lateral to. He doesn't exactly have the wheels. He couldn't pass it. And Meyers clearly said "I saw Mac there and I tried to get the ball to him". So even if he got it to him, there wasn't a damn thing he could have done with it.

This was the dumbest play I've ever seen. And he should be cut for making it.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen anyone comment on the most obvious component of this moronic play: What the hell was Mac gonna do if he got the ball there? There was no one else to lateral to. He doesn't exactly have the wheels. He couldn't pass it. And Meyers clearly said "I saw Mac there and I tried to get the ball to him". So even if he got it to him, there wasn't a damn thing he could have done with it.

This was the dumbest play I've ever seen. And he should be cut for making it.
Ya that’s definitely gonna help things.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The last few days have to be torture for Patriot fans. The play is on every highlight on every show about football over the weekend. Having to watch that over and over again must be horrid.
I saw it live and haven't watched it since. I don't watch people drowning puppies either. No need to relive that horror show.

Reaction Score
I thought of one. I'm a little too young to have seen it live, but I've seen the highlight a thousand times. Super Bowl VII, Dolphins are shooting for a perfect season, up 14-0 very late in the game. Garo Yepremian tries to kick a field goal to put Miami up 17-0, but it gets blocked by a Washington player and bounces backward in the direction of the right sideline. Yepremian chases the ball down (good job so far), but instead of just letting himself be tackled by the defenders converging on him, he panics and randomly tries to throw a forward pass, which slips out of his hand, then bounces up into the air when he tries to catch the lost ball in his arms. Mike Bass catches it off the carom and runs it back for a TD to put Washington within 7. Miami hung on to win, but that could have been a league-history-altering blunder.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom