Dukie V | The Boneyard

Dukie V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
Was I just imagining this or did anyone else hear Dicky say during the Duke game earlier this week, " outside of Lew Alcindor, Christian Latener (sp) had the best college player he'd ever seen."

Just off the top of my head I'd take any of these guys before him; Bill Walton, Oscar, Sampson, Jerry West, Danny Manning, Magic, Elvin Hayes, Chamberlain, and Russell. Kemba, Emeka and Ray-Ray should be in the mix too.

Who'd I miss?

Reaction Score
Was I just imagining this or did anyone else hear Dicky say during the Duke game earlier this week, " outside of Lew Alcindor, Christian Latener (sp) had the best college player he'd ever seen."

Just off the top of my head I'd take any of these guys before him; Bill Walton, Oscar, Sampson, Jerry West, Danny Manning, Magic, Elvin Hayes, Chamberlain, and Russell. Kemba, Emeka and Ray-Ray should be in the mix too.

Who'd I miss?
As a college player, Laetner went to 4 Final Fours, and won two titles. He had a Wooden Award, and hit the most recognizable shot in NCAA history--as well as the one we all remember and hate (and pretty memorable itself) two years earlier.

I think his college career is one of the best ever, despite me really really disliking him. Although, if it was best college player..yeah, he had two very good years, and good one, and a Freshmen year where he started...

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I think he meant best looking.
christian-laettner-90201.jpg

Reaction Score
Laettner was a great, great college basketball player. One of the best of all time, and he had an incredible college career. You don't have to be Vitale to recognize that. Saying Ray Allen is a better basketball player than Laettner doesn't change the fact that Laettner had a much, much better college career than Ray, Kemba, Emeka, basically take your pick . . .

Reaction Score
I'll take his career over anyone else's. Every game important, outstanding post season appearance record.

Add to that he had one of the greatest college basketball cheerleaders of all times calling his games.

He lived a college player's dream. How can it be beat?

College basketball is not about the NBA.

Reaction Score

Who'd I miss?
If you go old school era (Lew Alcindor) I'd say off the top 'o me head: Calvin Murphy, Pistol Pete Maravitch and maybe Rick Mount (for scoring)

Reaction Score
I think he meant best looking.

I think he was confused... he meant Lattner "was the biggest d*ck" Lew A. on the other hand maybe had the
biggest ...........
christian-laettner-90201.jpg

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If JJ Redick won a title, he could be in the running.

Reaction Score
Christian was a GREAT college basketball player, one of the games best!! I don't think we have anyone to compare to him as far as a 4 year guy and it's not that close........you can hate him all you want but there's no denying his game!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Just an opinion, but I thought Danny Manning's career was better. 1 less title, but his title was all him.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Who'd I miss?
Larry Bird David Thompson Hakeem O,

Reaction Score
Just an opinion, but I thought Danny Manning's career was better. 1 less title, but his title was all him.
Depends on how you are defining "career." I look at it as a mixture of individual success and team success. Manning not only has 1 fewer title (which, given there are only 4 years to accumulate titles, is a big deal), but also 2 fewer Final Fours. Laettner doubles his up on the two most important team achievements. And it's not like Kansas was in the E8 those two other years: in 1987 they lost in the S16, and they lost in the second round in 1985.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Depends on how you are defining "career." I look at it as a mixture of individual success and team success. Manning not only has 1 fewer title (which, given there are only 4 years to accumulate titles, is a big deal), but also 2 fewer Final Fours. Laettner doubles his up on the two most important team achievements. And it's not like Kansas was in the E8 those two other years: in 1987 they lost in the S16, and they lost in the second round in 1985.

Definitely true, but you can also look at Manning completely carrying a not so good Kansas to a NC. Great career stats too.

Obviously debatable. I tend to favor the side of championships in these sorts of comparisons, so perhaps Laettner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom