Duke's Assistant Coach Nate James on 1999 Championship | The Boneyard

Duke's Assistant Coach Nate James on 1999 Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yea not sure it's unfortunate that it doesn't work that way... but who knows it's probably just as fun to hire a bunch of statisticians that write a report on who should win the championship each year and stop playing this crazy game called basketball altogether.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
David Borges ‏@DaveBorges
Duke asst. coach Nate James was on 99 team. "We play that game 10 times, we win 9 of them. Unfortunately, doesn't work that way."

Does somebody on those other 9 nights suddenly figure out how to stop Rip Hamilton??? 'Cause JC figured out how to slow down Elton Brand and K tried about everything he had at Rip without success.

Anytime a basketball game is won by the team with the best on the court, you can't be too surprised.

Reaction Score
dookplay5.jpg

Reaction Score
We were the better team not just on that night.

Absolutely !!! We played 5 if not 6 the same opponent and in each case won by a larger margin. We had an answer for Brand and as everyone has pointed out, they had no answer for Rip. We were the better team and not just for that game.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
There is no better position to be in than to be underestimated. And there is no greater mistake to make than to underestimate your opponent. Let's hope they continue the tradition.

Reaction Score
We were quicker and more athletic at just about every position.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Rip shot below 50% that game. The Alaskan Assassin was the guy who shot out of his mind just to keep it close.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
David Borges ‏@DaveBorges
Duke asst. coach Nate James was on 99 team. "We play that game 10 times, we win 9 of them. Unfortunately, doesn't work that way."

Ah the chorus of the loser:
"The sun was in my eyes"
"The refs decided the game"
"If only [insert name here] wasn't injured"
"We play that game 10 times, we win 9 of them"

The fact that he is still butthurt is music to my ears.

Reaction Score
We were quicker and more athletic at just about every position.

Huh? Hamilton and Moore were quicker and more athletic than Carrawell and Langdon, but if we're talking about athleticism and quickness, I'd probably take Battier over Freeman, and I'd definitely take Brand and Avery over Voskuhl and El-Amin.

We didn't win that game because we had better players; we had the better coach.

Reaction Score
Absolutely !!! We played 5 if not 6 the same opponent and in each case won by a larger margin. We had an answer for Brand and as everyone has pointed out, they had no answer for Rip. We were the better team and not just for that game.
You are correct about the same opponents, I believe we did have a larger margin of victory against all of them. They also had the benefit of playing in a terrible ACC, which drove their amazing record and huge margin of victory. Only 2 other ACC teams made the tournament that year. A Maryland team that looked like a JV squad against the St. Johns team we blew off the court a week earlier, and a North Carolina team that lost in the first round to Weber St.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom