Duke's Assistant Coach Nate James on 1999 Championship | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Duke's Assistant Coach Nate James on 1999 Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
If I had met Angelina Jolie ten times....

Reaction Score
Parker also questioned while Langdon tried attacking Ricky Moore 1 v. 1 citing that Moore was the top defender in the NCAA Tournament that year. A second later, Langdon travels (4:50 mark).

Back to the top of the thread, 9 of 10 time Langdon attacks Moore 1 v 1, Duke looses :)

Reaction Score
David Borges ‏@DaveBorges
Duke asst. coach Nate James was on 99 team. "We play that game 10 times, we win 9 of them. Unfortunately, doesn't work that way."

Good news for Nate is he's not a crystal ball guy either because that's an inaccurate statement. We could GUARD them no one else could. Langdon was what he was, a good shooter who wasn't creative. The guards were, okay, really good in the ACC though. And Brand was really good but our defense was too. Nothing would change from that game although I believe they would split 10 games more than likely. And all the while Nate James would get ZERO in every game!

Reaction Score
No one said we had a chance in 99' and 2004 and we got it done. We are gonna do it on Thursday. Rip Hamilton will be sitting court side just like 99' and I love our chances. We just need to play our game, the name on the front of uniform not the back! We need everyone there.. pls make the effort to join us, this is our city. Lets get it done! Husky Style. Lets GO Uconn!

Last edited:

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
No one said we had a chance in 99' and 2004 and we got it done. We are gonna do it on Thursday. Rip Hamilton will be sitting court side just like 99' and I love our chances. We just need to play our game, the name on the front of uniform not the back! We need everyone there.. pls make the effort to join us, this is our city. Lets get it done! Husky Style. Lets GO Uconn!
UConn owns East Rutherford!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Parker also questioned while Langdon tried attacking Ricky Moore 1 v. 1 citing that Moore was the top defender in the NCAA Tournament that year. A second later, Langdon travels (4:50 mark).

Back to the top of the thread, 9 of 10 time Langdon attacks Moore 1 v 1, Duke looses :)

I love watching that time out. The players and Coach Calhoun look focused and without an ounce of doubt that this game was theirs.

Reaction Score
For athleticism and quickness? C'mon, son.

Understand the athleticism of Brand and Avery over Voskuhl and El-Amin, but not Battier over KFree. Battier had height and length, and a much better perimeter game, but not athleticism over KFree.

Reactions: caw
C

Chief00

Quite frankly, our 99 team in terms of toughness was our best. The interior defensive was incredible as was our on ball pressure. Only because of the fact these were two high powered offensives did you.get a 77-74 score.

Reaction Score
He also said, "You're not taking the ball away from Brand" about a second before that Wane steal.

He also said something to the effect of "UConn seems more confident that they can handle Duke than Duke does that they can handle UConn". Something like that anyway, but it just reinforces the point that that team was not afraid of anyone.

Reaction Score

Weren't we the preseason #1 in '04? And we were definitely favored in that FF game, since the Duhon shot was the difference between covering and not covering the spread.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Weren't we the preseason #1 in '04? And we were definitely favored in that FF game, since the Duhon shot was the difference between covering and not covering the spread.

Exactly. We were not an underdog in 2004.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I'll never forget Billy Packer saying something to the effect of:

"Hamilton is realizing, 'Duke has no one on the court who can stop me' "

The old crank was right.
How bout Packer with "Here's the double team on Wane, why?" right before Souley put one in over the double team, possibly for the only time in his career.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Duke looked very impressive all '98-99 season, but part of that was the ACC being down that year. If memory serves (and when it doesn't, there's Wikipedia), they only had 3 teams (out of 9) in the tournament. The Big East had 5/13 then members.

Based on seeding, UConn also had the "harder" road to the Final 4, playing a 16, 9, 5, and 10 seed. Whereas Duke played 16, 9, 12, 6.

Regardless, from early March (just after mid-terms) through Mid-May (Graduation) was one of the best 3 month stretches of my life. I just wish I remembered more of it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom