Duke vs UK | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Duke vs UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'd label Joe Ciampi as one of the all-time great coaches, and he has zero NCs. An all-time great coach ought to put their team in a position to win an NC, but the actual win turns out sometimes to turn on dumb luck or fortuitous circumstances, rather than pure coaching ability. Joe got close enough on enough occasions for me to think he belongs in the elite category.

Three championship game appearances is a good argument for him.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Maybe a championship, or more than one FF appearance, would convince me. An all-time great she is not.

All-time greats need to have won at least a championship, IMO, like Geno, Pat and Tara.
Depends on the level within D1. Brian Giorgis of Marist is another coach that belongs in an all-time great list just off what he's been able to accomplish with the Red Foxes and the list of NCAA tourney wins and upsets. My level of restrictiveness of the word "great" might be considered loose, but I think a Harry Perretta deserves a spot for what he's done in his 35 years with a program from a school that certainly at one point decades ago was skating on very thin financial ice for its sports teams and is still not seeing its cup runneth over. And obviously some even more successful coaches like Muffet and yes, CViv, have both the long tenure and past or present glories to be on the "great list."

Winning an NC is not necessarily the proof of greatness in a coach, though in certain cases it shows they are strong enough and at least able to get out of the way and not screw up the chance when opportunity knocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22
Top Bottom