Duke vs UConn an Important Game for Both Teams | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Duke vs UConn an Important Game for Both Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Duke is hard for me to gauge at this point. Their losses were without Williams and that obviously had a big impacted on all aspects of their games. She requires attention on the offensive end, is a good rebounder and defensive presence. She also takes a lot of pressure off of Stevens. I am just not sure how good or not good they are. I guess we will know tonight.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
uconnfan68 said:
When we play a big team, or when the other team starts scoring inside, or controlling the boards, you won't be putting Gabby in before Kiah. Kiah changes all those things in our favor immediately.

Thank you !!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Mojo, mojo, mojo.

Duke 61-59. Foley with at winner at the buzzer.

That may have been a touch too much mojo.
Massey has them a 20.5 pt favorite. I can't wait to see who scores the half point.

Reaction Score
Apparently Elizabeth Williams plays very well against everyone BUT UConn. We've never really seen her at her best. It would not shock me to see her amp up her game tonight. Kiah has had her way the last 3 years, but if EW manages to get Kiah into foul trouble...
UConn 78 Duke 72

Reaction Score
Sure, height can be defeated, but it can also be a pain in the you-know-what too. Duke is on pace to destroy the all-time rebounding margin record and their opponents shoot just 33% against them. They are an unusual matchup. A very tough game would not shock me at all.

Sure it can. Our amateurs beat the Russian pros a long time ago in Hockey. So anything extreme like us losing to Stanford can happen. But height is not much of a pain when you have decent height yourself along with more experience and playing at home. A very tough game would shock me very much.

If we want to talk about their rebounding margin we can also talk about our annihilation of opponents since Stanford. thus the BASKETBALL PLAYER comment imo stands and will be evident tonight.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
They went to a zone against both Nebraska and South Carolina and it was extremely effective. UConn's outside shooting is questionable. Nurse has been better than advertised but Stewart and Chong have both struggled and Tuck is 4-21. Jefferson, of course, was really cold from the outside before yesterday.

So I think UConn will see plenty of zone, especially if they have success early against man-to-man.

well, ok. But, as far as I know, KML is shooting .531, Nurse .421, Jefferson .387 and Stewart .371 from 3.

So....I wouldn't call it questionable....some have good days, some have bad days. But UConn definitely has power beyond the arc.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Apparently Elizabeth Williams plays very well against everyone BUT UConn. We've never really seen her at her best. It would not shock me to see her amp up her game tonight. Kiah had her way their freshman year, but if EW manages to get Kiah into foul trouble...
UConn 78 Duke 72

Fixed that. As I said in another post... it was more Dolson the last two times than Stokes, in my opinion. Nevertheless... it will be good to watch this game without any expectations. Just going to eat some pizza....watch how our youngsters handle themselves....... and hopefully no one from either side gets injured.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If we want to talk about their rebounding margin we can also talk about our annihilation of opponents since Stanford. thus the BASKETBALL PLAYER comment imo stands and will be evident tonight.

No doubt the Huskies have gotten better since Stanford with a corrected lineup, but they've also only played one legit team in Notre Dame. In that game UConn controlled the boards against a Turner-less Irish. This is a much different beast tonight.

Reaction Score
Considering Geno's perennial lukewarm praise and "if-only" assessments of Kiah Stokes' playing career, I was surprised at his comment today: " Kiah's going to have a big challenge tonight and I'm sure she'll rise to the occasion just like she always does. Kiah always seems to rise to the occasion when we need her." If this was legit and not spoken tongue-in-cheek, I have to love the confidence Geno expressed in Kiah and, more importantly, knowing Kiah's delicate psyche I have to believe she is going to continue to elevate her game and just get better and better, having finally gained the trust of her so often critical coach. I think Kiah is gonna soar !

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
They went to a zone against both Nebraska and South Carolina and it was extremely effective. UConn's outside shooting is questionable. Nurse has been better than advertised but Stewart and Chong have both struggled and Tuck is 4-21. Jefferson, of course, was really cold from the outside before yesterday.

So I think UConn will see plenty of zone, especially if they have success early against man-to-man.

Humbug! Don't confuse me with facts, nor dazzle me with logic. What do you take me for? :)

Reaction Score
Considering Geno's perennial lukewarm praise and "if-only" assessments of Kiah Stokes' playing career, I was surprised at his comment today: " Kiah's going to have a big challenge tonight and I'm sure she'll rise to the occasion just like she always does. Kiah always seems to rise to the occasion when we need her." If this was legit and not spoken tongue-in-cheek, I have to love the confidence Geno expressed in Kiah and, more importantly, knowing Kiah's delicate psyche I have to believe she is going to continue to elevate her game and just get better and better, having finally gained the trust of her so often critical coach. I think Kiah is gonna soar !
I think Geno was just trying push her button.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
That may have been a touch too much mojo.
Massey has them a 20.5 pt favorite. I can't wait to see who scores the half point.

I was thinking at first that if Stokes, Nurse, Tuck and Stewart simultaneously tipped in a rebound, they'd have to award each player one-half point. But dang, I did the full math and realized that it would still add to the normal two points. Anyone with an "in" to ask Massey how you get a half-point in basketball?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Just noticed that Toledo @ Duke is on ESPN 2 immediately before the Duke @ UConn. No offense intended to Toledo, but my guess is that the start of the UConn game will be unhindered by the preceding game going into overtime, etc.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I see a tight game early with UConn gradually pulling away to win by 15-20.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
True story.... my doctor wanted to schedule an appointment for Dec 30.... wanted me to come in early.... at 8-9am. She wanted me to fast 12 hours before the appointment. ( Anyone who knows me knows how hard it would be to go 12 hours without food) I looked at the calender.... and said..... how about 11am. The way I figure.... the game tonight will end around 11pm..... and if this game is like the past Duke-UCONN games..... I wont have an appetite for at least a half a day anyway.

:oops: :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:
When we play a big team, or when the other team starts scoring inside, or controlling the boards, you won't be putting Gabby in before Kiah. Kiah changes all those things in our favor immediately.
Gabby was in really early- not sure she best Kiah in? Kiah saved a few press breaks really nicely!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
No doubt the Huskies have gotten better since Stanford with a corrected lineup, but they've also only played one legit team in Notre Dame. In that game UConn controlled the boards against a Turner-less Irish. This is a much different beast tonight.
They looked like a different beast!

Reaction Score
The fact that UCONN has beaten ACC foes 27 straight times and Duke 9 straight shows their dominance over what's reported to be one of the top conferences in the nation!
The game went as predicted, what ended as a 31 point win should have been 40+! UCONN had 16 turnovers, 12 at least was unforced errors where UCONN threw the ball away or to Duke! That's why the 1/2 score was only UCONN 33/DUKE26! UCONN's defense smothered Duke and took the ball away at ease! It seemed that UCONN missed more than 7 freethrows, they've shot 64% and 66% from the FT line the last 2 games! Which could be a problem down the road!
Rebecca Greenwell 6'1" had 4 points all on 4-4 from the FT line hounded mostly by MoJeff all 5'6" of her making RG a no factor!
The Duke player that opened my eyes was Azura Stevens that young lady is going to be quite a handful by the time she graduates!
Now to our favorite topic, Elizabeth Williams, congrats on her best game of the 4 vs UCONN with 15 points and 8 RB's! But again she did nothing to give Duke a chance to win the game! 15 meaningless points that ended in a 31 point defeat for the Blue Devils, but she had help! The saving grace for EW was except for the inspirational Miss Stevens no other Dukie stepped up to give the Blue Devils a chance to win the game! As in the SoCar game Duke finds a way to throw the game away! Taking a 7 point 1/2 deficit and giving up 50 points in the 2nd 1/2! Coach P coaches well enough to be just a little above average! I think she is wearing out her welcome in Duke country!
A truly great player takes her team on her shoulders and makes a difference, MoJeff was such a player tonight! 18 points (mostly in the 2nd 1/2/5 steals/4 assists/2 turnovers/2 RB's ! MoJeff has 42 points in the last 2 games! Another player that led her team was M. Tuck with 13 points and 7 RB's/3 assists! Kiah Stokes didn't go crazy but still changed the tempo/outlook of the game when she came in! 4 points/6 RB's/ 4 BLK's! Giving a powerful presence in the middle that changed Duke's inside game!
They are 2 teams going in different directions. Duke is rapidly becoming Stanford East!
I called for 84-48 and it finished 83-52! I was compared to Mr. Positive, our own TonyC because of the prediction, I am truly humbled to be mentioned in the same sentence as TonyC! Go Huskies, keep kicking butts and taking names!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom