Duke vs UConn an Important Game for Both Teams | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Duke vs UConn an Important Game for Both Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Duke will likely play a zone and dare UConn to beat them from the outside. UConn will need player movement and quality passing. Also, I think using the press to disrupt a turnover prone team is in order.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Not sure how many monkeys you have in CT but if Duke forgets to bring theirs they are going to need to borrow one.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Zone? Yikes! UConn passes the ball rather well to four, and sometimes five three-point shooters who move about the arc. Duke will zone only if they try everything else...and it does not work.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
They still have Coach P and we don't. :rolleyes:

charlie-sigh-769156.jpg

Reaction Score
I think that's my issue.
We're fixated on the past.
In the past Duke folds.
Maybe this year they don't.
Then what?
Perhaps a competitive game.
So I guess you're saying "never say never"! Well, I'm inclined to think that it definitely won't happen this year (if people here on the Boneyard are right about this team) because you did see that pitiful performance they had earlier this year against a South Carolina team that struggled mightily themselves. I do know that we had a lousy performance ourselves with Stanford but it wasn't nearly as bad as what I witnessed a couple of weeks back. Then too, there have been a bunch of people who have questioned Duke's star, Ms. Williams, so why should I or others expect an appreciably better Duke outcome this year?

Reaction Score
Confidence in the Huskies (which I share) to get the job done is one thing. An almost dismissive lack of respect for a quality opponent (reflected in all the predicted blowouts) is mindful of the Palo Alto pre-game hubris and subsequent disaster. The team has learned a lot from that game. We should ,too.
I think, to a great extent, UConn plays the same against everyone. Geno gives them a checklist of things to accomplish and even in blowouts, they typically stick to the script and perform extremely well. They have a tendency to play an opponent one possession at a time and they strive to win every one of them. Obviously it doesn't happen but that's what they work to accomplish and that's what makes them a 9 time National champion (and counting). Once in a great while, they need to get a kick in the teeth and they've already had that kick (against Stanford) and they aren't likely to forget it anytime soon. I'm quite confident!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Zone? Yikes! UConn passes the ball rather well to four, and sometimes five three-point shooters who move about the arc. Duke will zone only if they try everything else...and it does not work.

They went to a zone against both Nebraska and South Carolina and it was extremely effective. UConn's outside shooting is questionable. Nurse has been better than advertised but Stewart and Chong have both struggled and Tuck is 4-21. Jefferson, of course, was really cold from the outside before yesterday.

So I think UConn will see plenty of zone, especially if they have success early against man-to-man.

Reaction Score
Confidence in the Huskies (which I share) to get the job done is one thing. An almost dismissive lack of respect for a quality opponent (reflected in all the predicted blowouts) is mindful of the Palo Alto pre-game hubris and subsequent disaster. The team has learned a lot from that game. We should ,too.
I thought, "Past performance is no guarantee of future success" only pertains to the Stock Market. You mean I have something else to worry about??!!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
UConn by maybe 10. I just don't think this one can be as easy as some on the board believe. The team has the potential to be great, but it is still sorting things out. Against SMU -- not a juggernaut, by any means -- they had their share of problems. What's certain is that Stewart and KML need to play up to potential. If they do, things should fall into place, with Kiah getting her fair share of time against Williams (can't wait to watch those two) and Gabby being the wild card. It wouldn't hurt for Moriah to continue the positive trend in this game. If she provides a three-point alternative, it makes UConn that much more difficult to defend against.
We have been waiting for Duke to give us a good game for a long time. They don't have the guard play. I wasn't one of the kook aide drinkers re the Stanford game. Vs SMU we were up 40-5. They had a little let down and Stewie was 1 for 10. Geno mixed up the line up most of the game with regularity. SMU was a great looking post Christmas tune up. Kiah will play as needed. She could find her playing time diminished by Gabby pretty soon. One of the main reason we have been great since Stanford is more Morgan Tuck, and less Stokes. Our offense runs with and thru Morgan like Stef. 5 players can beat you on offense at any time in so many different ways. Even Gabby has been making great interior passes and passes into the post.
Don't be nervous about this game. We are at home alo!!!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I think that's my issue.
We're fixated on the past.
In the past Duke folds.
Maybe this year they don't.
Then what?
Perhaps a competitive game.
No - we'll kind of dominate them by 2nd half! No fear. Not great guards. Young great talent. We are becoming dominant- again!

Reaction Score
UCONN rising, Duke setting, UCONN too many weapons, Duke no bullets in gun, Duke young backcourt, UCONN experienced backcourt, UCONN Stewie/Stokes/Tuck/Williams/KML vs EW, Geno vs Coach P, game at XL Center, UCONN's speed vs Duke slowness, Stewie had her down game vs SMU burns Blue Devils for 25+, KML gets at least 5 3pointers closer to DT, =
84-48!

Reaction Score
Too much is made of height. Better BASKETBALL PLAYERS defeat height. I didn't realize Duke was so young. And they are playing at UCONN? UCONN wins easily.

I can recall a long time ago Cliff Robinson was drafted 2nd round in NBA. He went on to have a terrific NBA career. Jim Calhoun said after the draft the scouts focused way too much on what he couldn't do and not what he does very well which is why he went 2nd round and not as initially projected in the 1st round. I get the same feeling whenever I read anyone stating "concern." However "concern" could mean many things to many posters just as eric mentioned to the OP what does "blowout" mean. I just don't see a major concern here. I think some here see "the Cliff Robinson flaws" way too much. No team even last year is perfect even if the record indicates as such. These are kids and as kids they will always have weaknesses. They still win many games by a lot despite their weaknesses because overall they are terrific basketball players.

Yellowstone erupted in Stanford. I hardly expect another cataclysmic eruption but this time at home vs such a young team like Duke which has known nothing but misery from UCONN these last several years.

Reaction Score
UCONN rising, Duke setting, UCONN too many weapons, Duke no bullets in gun, Duke young backcourt, UCONN experienced backcourt, UCONN Stewie/Stokes/Tuck/Williams/KML vs EW, Geno vs Coach P, game at XL Center, UCONN's speed vs Duke slowness, Stewie had her down game vs SMU burns Blue Devils for 25+, KML gets at least 5 3pointers closer to DT, =
84-48!
Even Tony wouldn't predict a win by 36 points!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
True story.... my doctor wanted to schedule an appointment for Dec 30......... wanted me to come in early.... at 8-9am. She wanted me to fast 12 hours before the appointment. ( Anyone who knows me knows how hard it would be to go 12 hours without food) I looked at the calender.... and said..... how about 11am. The way I figure.... the game tonight will end around 11pm..... and if this game is like the past Duke-UCONN games..... I wont have an appetite for at least a half a day anyway.

:oops: :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Reaction Score
They went to a zone against both Nebraska and South Carolina and it was extremely effective. UConn's outside shooting is questionable. Nurse has been better than advertised but Stewart and Chong have both struggled and Tuck is 4-21. Jefferson, of course, was really cold from the outside before yesterday.

So I think UConn will see plenty of zone, especially if they have success early against man-to-man.
I just want to say that Tuck is a better shooter than 4 of 21 and tonight might be the night you see her show it. Stewie is also someone who is a bit of a streak 3 point shooter so that actually could be a bad omen for the Dukies. We shall see but I'm inclined to think we'll see a 74-53 type game in favor of our Huskies. Our scoring will be a little down but I'm sure not expecting a lot of production from the Blue Devils. I'm inclined to think our defense is finally gelling and they'll have major issues putting the ball in the basket.

Reaction Score
I say close for the first 10 minutes or so, then we pull away for the usual 20 or so point win.
I'm not predicting it but I wouldn't be stunned if that score was pretty darn close. I think it'll be somewhere around 76-53 but a few more stops, a few fast break baskets off of turnovers, who knows????

Reaction Score
We have been waiting for Duke to give us a good game for a long time. They don't have the guard play. I wasn't one of the kook aide drinkers re the Stanford game. Vs SMU we were up 40-5. They had a little let down and Stewie was 1 for 10. Geno mixed up the line up most of the game with regularity. SMU was a great looking post Christmas tune up. Kiah will play as needed. She could find her playing time diminished by Gabby pretty soon. One of the main reason we have been great since Stanford is more Morgan Tuck, and less Stokes. Our offense runs with and thru Morgan like Stef. 5 players can beat you on offense at any time in so many different ways. Even Gabby has been making great interior passes and passes into the post.
Don't be nervous about this game. We are at home alo!!!
When we play a big team, or when the other team starts scoring inside, or controlling the boards, you won't be putting Gabby in before Kiah. Kiah changes all those things in our favor immediately.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
More likely a front line of Stewie (6' 4"), Kiah (6' 3") and Morgan (6' 2') to negate Duke's height. It will be interesting to see how skilled Duke's tall players really are. We know about Williams, the rest should be interesting.

Gabby will see minutes and create havoc when she is in there.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Too much is made of height. Better BASKETBALL PLAYERS defeat height. I didn't realize Duke was so young. And they are playing at UCONN? UCONN wins easily.

Sure, height can be defeated, but it can also be a pain in the you-know-what too. Duke is on pace to destroy the all-time rebounding margin record and their opponents shoot just 33% against them. They are an unusual matchup. A very tough game would not shock me at all.

Reaction Score
The thing is Stokes does not start so for all the Stokes vs. Williams matchup excitement, it will be Tuck or Stewie guarding Williams to start the game. I hope Kiah gets a lot of PT and this seems like a game custom made for her skill set...
If the game starts with Uconn getting beat up on the boards, you will see plenty of her tonight, just like the Notre Dame game. She will play when needed to help put the
game away. I think we come ready to play some basketball tonight.

Reaction Score
More likely a front line of Stewie (6' 4"), Kiah (6' 3") and Morgan (6' 2') to negate Duke's height. It will be interesting to see how skilled Duke's tall players really are. We know about Williams, the rest should be interesting.

Gabby will see minutes and create havoc when she is in there.
I like the way Gabby calls for the ball when she posts up, got to like this kid.
She is going to be something when she really gets going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom