Duke Could be in Trouble | The Boneyard

Duke Could be in Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Duke but not UNC tests the integrity of the NCAA?
The odds of the NCAA doing anything to Duke are infinitesimally small. How could Coach K have known? I doubt the Duke basketball department is directly related to the jewelry store. In all likelihood other Duke students could have bought from the same store, so this isn't a basketball issue.

It's an issue with the Duke University as a whole and thereby a problem with the entire education system. I put it to you. Isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? I don't know about you guys, but I'm not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America.

Reaction Score
What would happen if they vacate the title of 2010. Does Butler become the champ?

Reaction Score
The odds of the NCAA doing anything to Duke are infinitesimally small. How could Coach K have known? I doubt the Duke basketball department is directly related to the jewelry store. In all likelihood other Duke students could have bought from the same store, so this isn't a basketball issue.

It's an issue with the Duke University as a whole and thereby a problem with the entire education system. I put it to you. Isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? I don't know about you guys, but I'm not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America.
You are NOT walking out of this one mister! NO more fun of any kind!!

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
unlikely that Dook will be punished. Emmert got his pound of flesh from the Big Fish in UConn (and the adde bonus to him of personal revenge for his perceived unfair treatment while at UConn) and doesn't want to see other Blue Bloods' reputations smeared.

it is interesting that the article is written by Calipari's lapdog, Wetzel, and there is a heavy slant to intimate that poor Coach Squid is the real abused party

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Everyone's not seeing the real damaging issue here:

30k is 30k, heck he could of attained that money in numerous ways in which it would not have violated any NCAA rules. The 30k is not the fact that damns Duke.

The most damaging issue is whether a regular Joe Shmoe college student (non-athlete) could have attained a $100,000 luxury jewelry purchase by only paying 30k upfront and the jeweler feeling comfortable enough to lend him the remaining $68,000 to be paid in 15 days. The answer is No. If anyone thinks that his status as a Duke basketball player and future earnings of the NBA did not play a role in the jeweler feeling comfortable enough to have him walk out of the store with only paying a 1/3 of a $100,000 bill your sadly mistaken. There's a rule the NCAA enacted called "Strict Liability" which is for purposes like this. If any college athlete is afforded special privileges that are not afforded to a regular non athletic college student, that player is deemed ineligible and any games in which that player participated in are erased.
Duke has done nothing wrong at all, but are going to get bit by the stupidity of one of their own. Maybe I'm wrong but the case is pretty cut and dry as I see it.

Reaction Score
All this crap, and we get hammered for sending to many txt messages and making to many phone calls to recruits! Oh, and that rule doesnt exist anymore.The NCAA is a joke. Duke knew about this last January and hasn't said a gdamm thing, unbelievable.....

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Austin Peay will be losing scholarships and forfeiting games over this....count on it....

Reaction Score
Accurate description: "Duke could be in trouble; just kidding! - NCAA"

Reaction Score
Hmm... if the NCAA didn't vacate Duke's wins when corey maggette admitted to taking money in high school then they're not going to do anything about this especially considering it would strip a title.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Everyone's not seeing the real damaging issue here:

30k is 30k, heck he could of attained that money in numerous ways in which it would not have violated any NCAA rules. The 30k is not the fact that damns Duke.

The most damaging issue is whether a regular Joe Shmoe college student (non-athlete) could have attained a $100,000 luxury jewelry purchase by only paying 30k upfront and the jeweler feeling comfortable enough to lend him the remaining $68,000 to be paid in 15 days. The answer is No. If anyone thinks that his status as a Duke basketball player and future earnings of the NBA did not play a role in the jeweler feeling comfortable enough to have him walk out of the store with only paying a 1/3 of a $100,000 bill your sadly mistaken. There's a rule the NCAA enacted called "Strict Liability" which is for purposes like this. If any college athlete is afforded special privileges that are not afforded to a regular non athletic college student, that player is deemed ineligible and any games in which that player participated in are erased.
Duke has done nothing wrong at all, but are going to get bit by the stupidity of one of their own. Maybe I'm wrong but the case is pretty cut and dry as I see it.
Exactly how much money did Boatright's mom's ex-boyfriend accuse Derrick Rose's brother of giving to Boatright's mom (for Christmas presents for her kids by the way) causing the second suspension and the NCAA demanding her bank records?

I imagine that it was nowhere near 30k yet the NCAA felt it warranted a full investigation.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
Exactly how much money did Boatright's mom's ex-boyfriend accuse Derrick Rose's brother of giving to Boatright's mom (for Christmas presents for her kids by the way) causing the second suspension and the NCAA demanding her bank records?

I imagine that it was nowhere near 30k yet the NCAA felt it warranted a full investigation.

In the mind of the NCAA, the main difference here is RB is still in school and Thomas is long gone. RB and family had to talk to the NCAA if he was to play. Thomas and the Jeweler don't have to talk and Duke can play Sgt Schultz.

Of course, there is the slight difference in how the NCAA views the two schools involved in this comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom