Duke Campus | The Boneyard

Duke Campus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Had a bunch of time until my flight after visiting UNC Chapel Hill for my cousin's undergrad graduation and my other cousin's graduate graduation so we decided to take a stroll into enemy territory. The campus is beautiful if you have never been. Cameron was cool to see as was the cathedral. It was nice to see a few final four banners in there with no national championship banners sharing the same date.

ForumRunner_20150511_192540.png

ForumRunner_20150511_192556.png

ForumRunner_20150511_192611.png

ForumRunner_20150511_192631.png

ForumRunner_20150511_192649.png

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's a beautiful campus.

Cameron Indoor is shocking for a) how small it is, and b) for how much wood is involved. They must buy Murphy's Oil Soap by the tankerful.

If you go into their trophy room or whatever it's called, there is a comedic number of hug pictures.

Reaction Score
Visited both a few years ago. You could probably fit 9 Camerons inside the Dean Dome.

Reaction Score
I'm not even sure if we were supposed to be in the stadium, but my cousin tried the door and it opened. I didn't get a chance to see the trophy room but would have loved to. The photo in the atrium of the Duke fan in the "Beat the Hell Out of Carolina" shirt was pretty funny. The football stadium is extremely underwhelming, but that may be because of a 100 million dollar upgrade they are doing to the press box side. Also underwhelming is UNC football stadium.

As a footnote, UNC must be an absolute zoo during football games. There is no reason UCONN cannot have an on campus stadium.

Reaction Score
It's a beautiful campus.

Cameron Indoor is shocking for a) how small it is, and b) for how much wood is involved. They must buy Murphy's Oil Soap by the tankerful.

If you go into their trophy room or whatever it's called, there is a comedic number of hug pictures.
While admiring all the woodwork inside Cameron, I hope you took a dump on the floor.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I'm not even sure if we were supposed to be in the stadium, but my cousin tried the door and it opened. I didn't get a chance to see the trophy room but would have loved to. The photo in the atrium of the Duke fan in the "Beat the Hell Out of Carolina" shirt was pretty funny. The football stadium is extremely underwhelming, but that may be because of a 100 million dollar upgrade they are doing to the press box side. Also underwhelming is UNC football stadium.

As a footnote, UNC must be an absolute zoo during football games. There is no reason UCONN cannot have an on campus stadium.
Unfortunately, the state of Connecticut has hogtied UConn to the failing city of Hartford, in hopes that our yearly sporting events in that pit will somehow fix the failing economy, poverty and crime rate.

Reaction Score
I was not impressed with the campus. Like Yale it has this architecture that look like its from the 16th century, which is fine. But its more fake. The interiors of most of the buildings look like they're from a cheap high school. Painted cinderblock. The rest of the town is snow too.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I actually owned Duke football
season tickets for two years (they were $30). It's a nice place to watch a game but there is little atmosphere in stadium.

Kenan isn't really a great place to take in a football game either. Carter-Finley is light years better from a tailgating and in stadium experience than UNC.

The football fanbase at NC State is so much better than Duke and Carolina you'd have to experience it to believe it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, the state of Connecticut has hogtied UConn to the failing city of Hartford, in hopes that our yearly sporting events in that pit will somehow fix the failing economy, poverty and crime rate.

Yes UConn plays football in East Hartford for the benefit of Hartford.

Not for the fact they could actually get a suitable stadium built there and it's actually near the population of people that buy tickets and attend games.

Reaction Score
Why is Cameron a stadium? What are the qualifications to be a stadium?

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
I actually owned Duke football
season tickets for two years (they were $30). It's a nice place to watch a game but there is little atmosphere in stadium.

Kenan isn't really a great place to take in a football game either. Carter-Finley is light years better from a tailgating and in stadium experience than UNC.

The football fanbase at NC State is so much better than Duke and Carolina you'd have to experience it to believe it.

I may get the chance to take in a game as my third cousin is a sophomore there and the undergrad who graduated is going to law school there. So this won't be my last trip down there. With reletively cheap direct flights out of BDL a weekend trip isn't too far out of the question. I was wearing a UCONN shirt in the mall there. Only one comment, a guy who said "UConn?" as we passed each other buy.

Reaction Score
I may get the chance to take in a game as my third cousin is a sophomore there and the undergrad who graduated is going to law school there. So this won't be my last trip down there. With reletively cheap direct flights out of BDL a weekend trip isn't too far out of the question. I was wearing a UCONN shirt in the mall there. Only one comment, a guy who said "UConn?" as we passed each other by.
Two good reasons to wear UConn gear from head to toe around there. One is the Duke fans will give you dirty looks and hate you while you get to stick your chest out. And two, UNC fans will thank you profusely for stopping Duke from winning the championship in 1999 and 2004.

Reaction Score
I did tell my cousin about 99 and 04. Told her Duke may have 2 more banners in those rafters if it were not for UCONN.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Yes UConn plays football in East Hartford for the benefit of Hartford.

Not for the fact they could actually get a suitable stadium built there and it's actually near the population of people that buy tickets and attend games.

Right, and if thats the price we have to pay to have uninterested students and slightly greater convenience for a percentage of fans then no wonder we will never be competitive in football. Gameday experience is pivotal in college football.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Right, and if thats the price we have to pay to have uninterested students and slightly greater convenience for a percentage of fans then no wonder we will never be competitive in football. Gameday experience is pivotal in college football.

UConn's first 50 games at Rentschler they went 38-12. Was winning 76% of the time not competitive?

Was the gameday experience not good then? You don't have to answer because if your answer is no you weren't there and are unable
to comment.

Reaction Score
I was not impressed with the campus. Like Yale it has this architecture that look like its from the 16th century, which is fine. But its more fake. The interiors of most of the buildings look like they're from a cheap high school. Painted cinderblock. The rest of the town is e too.

It looks like a knock-off of a northeastern school, which is exactly what it is.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

As a footnote, UNC must be an absolute zoo during football games. There is no reason UCONN cannot have an on campus stadium.[/QUOTE]

Was down there for the UConn game in 2008ish time frame. Was a good crowd and it was a night game but the tailgating was spread out all over the place. Lots of busses and shuttles. Stadium was pretty nice overall from what I remember.

Reaction Score

I-40 (6 lanes) runs along the edge of Chapel Hill and a semi-dividend 4 land Boulevard (US 501) goes right by the athletic side of campus. A lot different than Storrs. Not that traffic in Chapel Hill during major sporting events is fun; but, Storrs is worse.

Reaction Score
As much as I hate Duke, it is a beautiful campus, great school, and great basketball program.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
UConn's first 50 games at Rentschler they went 38-12. Was winning 76% of the time not competitive?

Was the gameday experience not good then? You don't have to answer because if your answer is no you weren't there and are unable
to comment.
Oh wow 38-12? Now thats what I call relevant, im sure the B10 and ACC invites are on their way via first class mail as we speak.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Oh wow 38-12? Now thats what I call relevant, im sure the B10 and ACC invites are on their way via first class mail as we speak.

You started with UConn will never be competitive playing off campus.

When it was pointed out they won 76% of their games over their first 8 seasons in the stadium you've come back with this.

Because the reason Louisville got invited to the ACC over UConn was because Rentschler Field is 20 miles from campus.

Seriously what the duck is wrong with people that are supposedly UConn fans?

38-12 isn't good? 38 and f*!cking 12. Moving from 1-AA to 1-A.

I guess if that wasn't good enough for the ACC and Big Ten I'd point out that more than half of their members didn't win 76% of their home games from 2003-2010.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
You started with UConn will never be competitive playing off campus.

When it was pointed out they won 76% of their games over their first 8 seasons in the stadium you've come back with this.

Because the reason Louisville got invited to the ACC over UConn was because Rentschler Field is 20 miles from campus.

Seriously what the is wrong with people that are supposedly UConn fans?

38-12 isn't good? 38 and f*!cking 12. Moving from 1-AA to 1-A.

I guess if that wasn't good enough for the ACC and Big Ten I'd point out that more than half of their members didn't win 76% of their home games from 2003-2010.
Hold up, before you get too high up on your figurative "#1 UConn fan" horse, are you trying to say that an on campus facility wouldn't improve the face of UConn football? Are you trying to argue that Michigan, OSU, Alabama, Texas and all the big time programs are doing it wrong and that they dont know what they are missing out on? That having an on campus stadium wouldnt increase student interest in the game, which is usually a good motivating factor for the administration to improve the program? You're only real defense to this issue is that its a more accessible location.

Reaction Score
Had a bunch of time until my flight after visiting UNC Chapel Hill for my cousin's undergrad graduation and my other cousin's graduate graduation so we decided to take a stroll into enemy territory. The campus is beautiful if you have never been. Cameron was cool to see as was the cathedral. It was nice to see a few final four banners in there with no national championship banners sharing the same date.

View attachment 9493

View attachment 9494

View attachment 9495

View attachment 9496

View attachment 9497

Did you take a crap on centercourt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors