Duke Campus | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Duke Campus

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Hold up, before you get too high up on your figurative "#1 UConn fan" horse, are you trying to say that an on campus facility wouldn't improve the face of UConn football? Are you trying to argue that Michigan, OSU, Alabama, Texas and all the big time programs are doing it wrong and that they dont know what they are missing out on? That having an on campus stadium wouldnt increase student interest in the game, which is usually a good motivating factor for the administration to improve the program? You're only real defense to this issue is that its a more accessible location.

Understanding that 38-12 was an impressive accomplishment does not make me #1UConnFan. It just means I have enough perspective to understand it was an impressive accomplishment for the athletic department, coaching staff and players.

The fine programs you mention didn't join Division 1-A in 2003. UConn doesn't have the advantage of generations of residents and graduates who deem college football to be worthy of an investment of their time, money and energy.

When you come to age in a hyper-competitive entertainment marketplace - what works for established programs may not work for late entrants.

Do you really believe that the motivation for decisions that impact college football programs are based on what the students think? Do the students kick in the money to buy out contracts for losing coaches? Do coaches get access to private planes owned by students?

UConn fired PP 4 games into a season for the students? Bob Diaco got an 8 figure contact for the students?

I don't need to defend UConn playing in East Hartford - they already play there and it's what best for the program. That it hurts the feelings of some students and a handful of message board posters isn't that big of a deal.

But UConn can't be compete playing there. Other than 38-12, 2 conference championships. 5 Bowl invites in 8 years. And a pesky trip to the BCS.

If you live in some fantasy world where major college athletics exist for the students, I'd invite you to join the rest of us in the 21st Century. P5 schools don't gross 40-50 million in television money because of students.

Reaction Score
Hold up, before you get too high up on your figurative "#1 UConn fan" horse, are you trying to say that an on campus facility wouldn't improve the face of UConn football? Are you trying to argue that Michigan, OSU, Alabama, Texas and all the big time programs are doing it wrong and that they dont know what they are missing out on? That having an on campus stadium wouldnt increase student interest in the game, which is usually a good motivating factor for the administration to improve the program? You're only real defense to this issue is that its a more accessible location.
That's the only defense needed

Reaction Score
Also Bama played it's big games in Birmingham until the 1990's

Reaction Score
It's a bit like saying the only defense to wanting to date Kate Upton is that she is attractive.

True story, I saw Kate Upton galloping down the street in LA Friday morning. She looked like a tall, awkward, reasonably pretty girl who was carrying some extra lbs. Sounds completely douchy, I know, but true.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
did you see any rats running around Cameron Indoor High School Gym?

maybe one tall one with a big nose and bad back?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I'm not even sure if we were supposed to be in the stadium, but my cousin tried the door and it opened. .

My dad and I did the same thing when we toured the Duke campus after our bowl game in Charlotte. (We went to see Nevada play UNC at the Dean Dome and made a detour to Raleigh). We wandered right on to the floor and took a bunch of picture with a few members of the Duke women's team who were hanging around. I couldn't believe the door was open and we could just wander through the facility. It was very cool.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
My dad and I did the same thing when we toured the Duke campus after our bowl game in Charlotte. (We went to see Nevada play UNC at the Dean Dome and made a detour to Raleigh). We wandered right on to the floor and took a bunch of picture with a few members of the Duke women's team who were hanging around. I couldn't believe the door was open and we could just wander through the facility. It was very cool.

Was on a road trip in 2001 and walked right into Norte dame stadium and threw around a football for thirty minutes on the field before getting thrown out. Was pretty surreal. Cameron though? I would have to burn my clothes and shower with lye to get the stench off If I ever set foot in there.

Reaction Score
Yes UConn plays football in East Hartford for the benefit of Hartford.

Not for the fact they could actually get a suitable stadium built there and it's actually near the population of people that buy tickets and attend games.

But just think, if you had the stadium on campus, and every single person went, you'd have 18K every single game! B1G here we come!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom