duffy article omar calhoun-- . Let's examine UConn's top 10 rookie seasons since 2000 | The Boneyard

duffy article omar calhoun-- . Let's examine UConn's top 10 rookie seasons since 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Sussman

My Name isn't really Bill
Reaction Score
I have trouble reconciling the image of Duffy from college and his reporting. But definitely some solid articles this season

Reaction Score
I happened to think Ray Allen was a mighty fine freshman player, certainly one of the best I ever saw at UConn.

Reaction Score
Yea I commented about KEA until I saw that caveat as well.

Reaction Score
I hate these kind of articles. Can we let the kid actually do something against a real team before we start putting him on lists with Kemba Walker and Ben Gordon and Emeka Okafor, please. Not fair to them and it isn't fair to the kid. He looks like a very good player but how about we see how he does against a Division 1 team.

Reaction Score
I hate these kind of articles. Can we let the kid actually do something against a real team before we start putting him on lists with Kemba Walker and Ben Gordon and Emeka Okafor, please. Not fair to them and it isn't fair to the kid. He looks like a very good player but how about we see how he does against a Division 1 team.
Hey, for the first time in a long time I agree with freescooter!

Reaction Score
I dunno, guys. Anyone who averages 20+ against AIC and ULowell are more than likely one and dones, right?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Hey, for the first time in a long time I agree with freescooter!
These articles used to be fun to read even though they are obviously premature. In the past most people took them for what they were - generating excitement. There wasn't much need for a freescooter cautionary note. Now some people read these premature proclamations and accept them as true. And if the players fail to meet these statements some of the individuals blame the player for failure as opposed to their lack of discernment about the statements.

It seems some of us have fallen into the trap of having our excitement reduced because we know that someone will read this article and pounce on OC if he doesn't continue his early season numbers. Scr*w that!! I love getting my hopes up at the start of each season. I don't need some Debbie Downer lowering my expectations. I can handle things if they don't turn out and don't have to alter my expectations because others need to blame players for making them unhappy.

The problem isn't the article but the makeup of certain fans.

Reaction Score
I dunno, guys. Anyone who averages 20+ against AIC and ULowell are more than likely one and dones, right?

More than likely 990411.......................right Mr Wonderful???:eek:

Reaction Score
I hate readin gthese things that claim some guy who has done nothing too date is going to be the next Ray Allen/Rip Hamilton/Kemba Walker/Name Your Star in part because it creates unfair expectations on the player. I kind of hope that Omar Calhoun can be Omar Calhoun and do what Omar Calhoun does.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I hate readin gthese things that claim some guy who has done nothing too date is going to be the next Ray Allen/Rip Hamilton/Kemba Walker/Name Your Star in part because it creates unfair expectations on the player. I kind of hope that Omar Calhoun can be Omar Calhoun and do what Omar Calhoun does.
How does it create unfair expectations? Year in and year out a bunch of buddies and I would get excited by various newcomers from what we read or what we saw at MM. As the season progressed we would learn if our excitement was warranted or not. If the kids met expectations great. If not we didn't get upset. Some people can do this while others can't. Obviously if we struggle with failed expectations, it might be better to contain emotional excitement to avoid disappointment. But why should any of us who don't have that problem be restricted by those who do?

Human nature enjoys comparing things to other things. In the end each and everyone of us are unique. I find it hard to believe anyone comparing OC to Ray has trouble seeing the differences between the two people even in their bb abilities, styles, preparations to the game and so on.

Reaction Score
You can do what you want. I just think it creates unfair expectations...then in February when the next Ray Allen goes 3/15 he gets blasted for not being the 2nd coming of Ray Allen or not even as good as Dyson. And its one thing if a bunch of guys do it sitting around a bar. Different story for Duffy to publish something like that. Just my personal view on these kinds of stories...to a degree I'm sick of reading them I guess.Everyone is goin gto be the next Ray or the next whoever...and they never are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom