Dueling headlines....

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
UConn's Breanna Stewart leads U.S. to U18 Gold

LINK

Michaela Mabrey Leads United States To Gold Medal At FIBA Americas U18 Championship

LINK

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Clearly, Mabrey must have been named MVP of the U18 tournament. Oh wait.... nevermind.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm proud of Mabrey's contribution, great kid. I have a feeling, we're all going to take Stewie for granted after a while...oh, maybe not.

Reaction Score
Um . . I'm pretty sure that this year Baylor won the NCAA Title, but Uconn won the NCAA Championship. Yeah . . I'm pretty sure that's how it happened. (I saw it on Facebook). Yeah. Uh huh.

Reaction Score
Clearly, Mabrey must have been named MVP of the U18 tournament. Oh wait.... nevermind.
I suspect the person who wrote up the' Mabrey headline is the same one who told the tall tale about 'Digger' Graves and her crucial putback that led to a 19-0 run earlier in the tourney.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Mabrey had a very good tourney. She did not impress me much in the AA games, but she seems to be really solid and a terrific shooter. Obviously I'm thrilled with the kids we got, but ND seems to keep on rolling with the good recruits...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ah, the Golden Dome PR Machine. It resulted in Joe Theisman changing the pronunciation of his name to rhyme with Heisman instead of sounding like Theesman.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
In the one game that Prince had more points, an equal number of rebounds, more steals and more assists than Tuck, I saw the headline of "Tuck Leads USA Past Colombia." Of course, that wasn't written by a Baylor person.

It comes with the territory. Homerism abounds.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
UConn's Breanna Stewart leads U.S. to U18 Gold

LINK

Michaela Mabrey Leads United States To Gold Medal At FIBA Americas U18 Championship[/

LINK

Maybe the meant that she led them emotionally and vocally. (-;

Reaction Score
In the one game that Prince had more points, an equal number of rebounds, more steals and more assists than Tuck, I saw the headline of "Tuck Leads USA Past Colombia." Of course, that wasn't written by a Baylor person.

Exactly. It was a reporter/blogger on the UConn beat. It was posted and linked here and no one felt the need to point out it was Prince who led the team not Tuck. Just like that game you could look at it different ways. How and when were the points scored and how did they impact the game. The USA game that Prince led the team the outcome was never in doubt. The championship game had the USA down by double digits after first period when Mabrey went off sparking a run to get the game under control. She got to 14pts before the any others got to double digits and the game was already won. The coach and Stewart herself both more or less said that Mabrey turned it around. Still, without a doubt Stewart and Tuck should have have been the MVP candidates and were definite leaders. If there was an all tourney team though, Mabrey would be standing there beside them after records in assists and shooting while finishing the tourney leading in assists, assist/to ratio, and 3pts made.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Yep.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Exactly. It was a reporter/blogger on the UConn beat. It was posted and linked here and no one felt the need to point out it was Prince who led the team not Tuck. Just like that game you could look at it different ways. How and when were the points scored and how did they impact the game. The USA game that Prince led the team the outcome was never in doubt. The championship game had the USA down by double digits after first period when Mabrey went off sparking a run to get the game under control. She got to 14pts before the any others got to double digits and the game was already won. The coach and Stewart herself both more or less said that Mabrey turned it around. Still, without a doubt Stewart and Tuck should have have been the MVP candidates and were definite leaders. If there was an all tourney team though, Mabrey would be standing there beside them after records in assists and shooting while finishing the tourney leading in assists, assist/to ratio, and 3pts made.

She had TEN assists in one game. Kinda padding her stats, no? Just like you accused Tuck and Stewart doing.

More or less? What exactly did they say?

Reaction Score
Ah, the Golden Dome PR Machine. It resulted in Joe Theisman changing the pronunciation of his name to rhyme with Heisman instead of sounding like Theesman.
PR machines, or PR pressures, do cause players to change the pronunciation of their own names to fit American audiences - case in point, Anna Kournikova. I once heard her pronounce her own name exactly the way a Frenchman would say it: koor-nick-OH-vuh. American journalists slavishly follow the Frenchification of Russian names, out of a misplaced sense of inferiority, I guess. Russians pronounce the name KOOR-neek-uh-vuh.

I have doubts about the Theismann story, however, unless the Theismann family did not follow standard German pronunciation rules. Entirely possible, of course, as his father was a New Jerseyite by way of Austria. Fuhgeddaboudit!

Leonard Bernstein would seethe when he heard clueless people pronounce his name 'BURN-steen' instead of 'BURN-stine.'

Reaction Score
Graves, USA U18 Team Claim Gold
Must have been very tempting to remove that comma.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Here... I'll be the first....

Jefferson leads USA to Gold Medal

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Mabrey deserved POG recognition for being the only kid on Team USA capable of consistently hitting a shot early in the game. Since it was the Gold Medal Game, the headline wasn't unreasonable. Tuck or Breanna probably played the best on balance if you take a tourney-wide view of things, so a headline with their names would be reasonable as well.

Reaction Score
Mabrey deserved POG recognition for being the only kid on Team USA capable of consistently hitting a shot early in the game. Since it was the Gold Medal Game, the headline wasn't unreasonable. Tuck or Breanna probably played the best on balance if you take a tourney-wide view of things, so a headline with their names would be reasonable as well.
So many ways to look at it. If we scratch all of Mabrey's points, they still win by double digits.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
So many ways to look at it. If we scratch all of Mabrey's points, they still win by double digits.
And how would the US team have fared if you scratched all of Bre's points or Tuck's points?

If we're talking about biased reporting, how about Elliott's 'coverage' of the U18 games. He only mentioned the contributions of UConn players. You could say the same about the Breanna Stewart headline story (cited by pap49 above), which only mentioned the contributions of UConn recruits. I don't believe that Notre Dame's story was any more one-sided. While it clearly extolled the contributions of Michaela, it at least mentioned that she had (anonymous) help, "Mabrey (pronounced MAY-bree) was among the United States' most valuable players, and that was never more apparent than in Sunday's gold-medal game against Brazil, when she collected 14 points, five rebounds and three assists in a 71-47 victory." Michaela had a great tourney. I do not believe she should have been the MVP, as I think Tuck deserved that. And I would have given Bre my second place vote for MVP. But I could certainly make an argument for Michaela being 3rd on my ballot for MVP. She collected more assists than either point guard, and outscored them both. That's pretty good!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

That statement holds true for each player. You could deduct the points scored by any singular player and the US would still have won each game by double digits.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
She had TEN assists in one game. Kinda padding her stats, no? Just like you accused Tuck and Stewart doing.

More or less? What exactly did they say?
That's not at all what rjp said. You must have misread his post. He actually said Stewart or Tuck deserved the tourney MVP, not Michaela. He merely pointed out that Michaela's points in the championship game came at a critical juncture when the US team really needed a lift. He never said nor implied that Bre or Morgan padded their stats when the game was basically over. They were both clearly stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom