OT: - Ductless Air Conditioners | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Ductless Air Conditioners

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
oh, we forgot to mention 'thermal rules 101'
her-'turn up the heat! turn down the a/c! i'm dyin in here!'
him-'turn down the heat! turn up the a/c! i'm dyin in here!'
codicil: btu's needed for cooling are inversely related to the age of the 'coolees.'
(we'uns got some near 100 year old elders who absolutely, categorically refuse any use of a/c. kinda interesting to hear their thoughts on a trip to a store or restaurant in summer--'do I need to bring my parka?')

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We looked into these and decided against them. There are many drawbacks from our research. First it cost about twice as much. Second there are not a lot of installers out there so difficult to get bids. Due to the high velocity, the systems are more prone to breaking down and difficult to service due to the lack of expertise. And finally, it is difficult to get it set up just right to get the cooling at the right temp. This is all based on research. I do not know anyone who has this system (which tells you something right there). Of course, I was out as soon as I heard “twice as expensive”...

Thx for the info...no need to consider them based on your research

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Crazy pondering: To potentially avoid investing in equipment, capabilities, product brand you really don’t need, may not meet or may exceed reasonable requirements, buying a brand which isn’t medium to better quality, etc, have you considered expending some effort with a more reliable resource than our crew?

Absolutely not. I haven’t eaten anything other than pizza and Arbys since about three years ago and I’ll be damned if I don’t let this board make my choice in home improvements as well.

Reaction Score
Absolutely not. I haven’t eaten anything other than pizza and Arbys since about three years ago and I’ll be damned if I don’t let this board make my choice in home improvements as well.
Great, wouldnt want you to go wrong ... yet enjoyed learning of widely disparate quotes for systems in different homes, building, etc based on unethical vendors, contractors, etc unsuccessful in pulling one over on informed buyers and a spouse/ business partner who could have educated several. Enjoy your Arby’s crap and ‘za. Some suggest Willington’s good in DE and NC!

Reaction Score
Last years heat did my wife in. Have a cape, bedrooms upstairs. We had a 5 unit mini split heat pump system put in this spring. Will give heat down to 4 degrees. We put a unit in each bedroom upstairs (3), and 2 downstairs in common rooms. Went with the units in each bedroom for resale value if we sell in 10 years as some people close their doors at night. Since we have electric heat it should help quite a bit on that bill. $11,000

We've been looking into this. We also have electric heat, which in the mid-late 2000's wasn't nearly as bad as people think in comparison to the alternatives. The retreat in fuel prices (and lack thereof in electric rates) has had an enormous effect since then.

I'm fine using window units for A/C. Bottom floor is open so one 10k unit keeps things comfortable, and then 3 small units in the bedrooms upstairs. But if 5 mini split units can be had for under $12k I'd have to seriously consider it.

Reaction Score
Last year we had insulation sprayed on the attic roof. It’s made a big difference in retaining heat in the winter and reducing cooling needs in the summer.

Reaction Score
Last years heat did my wife in. Have a cape, bedrooms upstairs. We had a 5 unit mini split heat pump system put in this spring. Will give heat down to 4 degrees. We put a unit in each bedroom upstairs (3), and 2 downstairs in common rooms. Went with the units in each bedroom for resale value if we sell in 10 years as some people close their doors at night. Since we have electric heat it should help quite a bit on that bill. $11,000
Good info! Thanks!

Reaction Score
We've been looking into this. We also have electric heat, which in the mid-late 2000's wasn't nearly as bad as people think in comparison to the alternatives. The retreat in fuel prices (and lack thereof in electric rates) has had an enormous effect since then.

I'm fine using window units for A/C. Bottom floor is open so one 10k unit keeps things comfortable, and then 3 small units in the bedrooms upstairs. But if 5 mini split units can be had for under $12k I'd have to seriously consider it.
What I was considering was that the ductless life is 2-3x window unit years, plus the installation and deinstallation every year. Getting too old to throw the 80-90# units around. Might be a wash counting my time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom