Dual Championship Hopes Alive | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dual Championship Hopes Alive

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't watch much of the women but I did last night. Geno seemed pretty subdued all evening, even when the refs were making outrageously terrible calls.
Yes he did.

Reaction Score
On ESPN during the women’s game, they said that NC State is the first college in history to have a men’s and women’s team in the Final Four in the same season. They somehow left out UConn’s dual championships and the fact that this is now the fifth time UConn has done it.
I am re-watching the game now, and that's not just what Beth Mowins said. She said "NC State has both men and women in the Final Four already." Then there was a new sentence that she started, where she said "It's never happened before that two schools sent both men's and women's teams to the Final Four." I think you confused the beginning part of her second statement as referring back to the first sentence, when it didn't. (It happened at the 5:06 mark of the 3rd quarter).

Reaction Score
UConn had #1 SOS, #2 NET ranking, and 5 losses, all to Sweet 16 teams, all but one ranked above them, all from P5 from conferences playing stronger competition in the last two months.

3 of the 5 players lost for the season had demonstrated prior high level success. The team only lost only to undefeated #1 South Carolina since the loss of Aubrey Griffin. It has been reasonable to think the high major schools would be stronger.

With steady competition between the P5 schools, it was hard to justify ranking UConn higher in the AP poll, or seed them higher.

It has been assumed that they will loser when the shrunken roster finally comes up short, but it hasn't yet and didn't tonight. It still se ms unlikely that they have enough available. But it's a 3-day, 4-team tournament. Can't ask for more than the opportunity.

Tonight, even with 7 consecutive missed free throws in the final minutes, they made their final 4 free throws and beat the point spread.

Stay grateful & keep watching is my framing.
Lost to ND also.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Lost to ND also.
Yes, ND was a Sweet 16 team, ranked one ahead of #10 UConn. NC State was ranked one below UConn.

South Carolina, Texas, and UCLA were ranked 1, 4, and 6.

Unless I miswrote in my post, I thought the above was conveyed in different words, not including the actual rankings

Reaction Score
@UConn Esq the alumni association is facilitating watch parties in Phoenix at Maerlje's sports bar. I ate their once in 2008 and recommend you eat before heading over.

Also let me note my two graduation years were 2004 and 2014. Today I sent President Maric a note asking for an honorary degree in 2024.

Reaction Score
conflicted in obviously wanting the UConn women to win vs Iowa but don't want to see what South Carolina would do to them in the title game with their lack of bigs and athleticism.

Reaction Score
conflicted in obviously wanting the UConn women to win vs Iowa but don't want to see what South Carolina would do to them in the title game with their lack of bigs and athleticism.
yeah but then at that point it's just one game. And Paige and Nika and Aaliyah have played SC in a final already, a few years back.

Reaction Score
yeah but then at that point it's just one game. And Paige and Nika and Aaliyah have played SC in a final already, a few years back.
and they got toyed with lol, I don't see much going different here if they were to meet again. can't play SC with just one functioning big who is really a PF(albeit a very good one) and not expect to get dominated on the glass and in the paint.

Reaction Score
The women were robbed. They had a chance to win at the end stolen by the refs. There's no other story here, that was the game, which is a shame because it overshadows what was a pretty good game.

The refs were in Iowa's pocket all half and they decided to assert themselves to decide the game at the end. An absolute joke.

Reaction Score
The women were robbed. They had a chance to win at the end stolen by the refs. There's no other story here, that was the game, which is a shame because it overshadows what was a pretty good game.

The refs were in Iowa's pocket all half and they decided to assert themselves to decide the game at the end. An absolute joke.
That was brutal. Such a BS call. But also HAVE to get that rebound at the end. No excuses there.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I’m stunned that ref decided that was the time to make up seeing a foul.

You should have to elbow her in the face for a call in that spot, meanwhile that wasn’t a foul in exhibition time.

Unreal, deflating.

Reaction Score
I’m stunned that ref decided that was the time to make up seeing a foul.

You should have to elbow her in the face for a call in that spot, meanwhile that wasn’t a foul in exhibition time.

Unreal, deflating.
Terrible call. Would have been a heave by Paige anyhow but just an awful call

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Geno will survive this and next year they will be back.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
The ratings for this S. Carolina vs. Iowa game are going to be off the charts.

$$$$$$$$
It’s going to be a blowout. SC 92-Iowa 67.

Reaction Score
Not sure it would matter. 1 second left, 89 feet away
The ball was only 20 feet away during the screen.

The miss free throws was the second opportunity that didn't matter.

Reaction Score
Losing is one thing and bad officiating ok, but man that ending makes me feel dirty, feel like I need to take a bleach bath for an hour.

Reaction Score
Clark offensive foul on a push off on KKA was not called, but the screen was?

UConn was the much better team, even with 6 deep and 3 freshmen. Congrats to them on a great season.

Reaction Score
Not sure it would matter. 1 second left, 89 feet away
If they grab the rebound clean it’s closer to 2 seconds. Get the immediate timeout and they can move it to half court.

Plenty of time to get a shot off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32