DT and the Boneyard. | The Boneyard

DT and the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
Was the boneyard up and running when DT committed to Uconn? I'd love to read some of the discussion about her prior to her Uconn greatness.

Reaction Score
Would someone be so kind as to elucidate? I presume that "Yes" means that the Boneyard existed during Diana's college career, but the first page that is readily available, at least in this forum, dates to 2011. Is it possible to go back further? Thanks.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Would someone be so kind as to elucidate? I presume that "Yes" means that the Boneyard existed during Diana's college career, but the first page that is readily available, at least in this forum, dates to 2011. Is it possible to go back further? Thanks.
We've been using this script to run the boneyard since 2011. Before that we went through several other versions of software. Some of them were part of larger fan sites such as rivals. Although it existed, I couldn't tell you what form the boneyard was using in 2000.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Was the boneyard up and running when DT committed to Uconn? I'd love to read some of the discussion about her prior to her Uconn greatness.
Some early stuff on DT

Ode to the Ball Hog Chick

(JS)

UConn's got a young guard
And they call that girl DT.
And you never find it hard
To see she's friendly as can be.

She pats the ref right on the butt
And tousles coach's hair.
She always makes you bust a gut
And never shows a care.

But opponents better watch out
Cause this gal's got mucho game.
She's gonna make your coach pout,
Make you sorry that you came.

You can try your X's and your O's
She's gonna make you pay.
Give you headaches, give you woes,
Make you wish that it were May.

No matter what you've learned,
And no matter what your schtick
You'll still get good and burned
By that grinning Ballhog Chick.

If your manning gives you trouble
Then try your box and one.
If your zoning lies in rubble
And your double teams are done

Then it hasn't been your day
Be you Muffet, be you Pat.
Just shake ol' Geno's hand and say
"Nice game, you little brat."

"Cause no matter what we boasted
We just couldn't make it click.
We were lit up, we were toasted
By that awesome Ballhog Chick."

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
The Boneyard was elated! The kid from Chino, already described as a transformational, once-in-a-generation player, was coming to UConn all the way from California.

The Ball Hog Chick nickname was bestowed on her by the late Lady Vol fan RobertNAtl. Some Summit posters kept dismissingly referring to DT as a Ball Hog. Then the two powerhouses met. Robert, who had a wonderful sense of humor, posted in their game thread "That Ball Hog Chick is killing us!"

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The Boneyard was elated! The kid from Chino, already described as a transformational, once-in-a-generation player, was coming to UConn all the way from California.

The Ball Hog Chick nickname was bestowed on her by the late Lady Vol fan RobertNAtl. Some Summit posters kept dismissingly referring to DT as a Ball Hog. Then the two powerhouses met. Robert, who had a wonderful sense of humor, posted in their game thread "That Ball Hog Chick is killing us!"
You knew we were getting someone special when she lead the crowd in a UCONN cheer at the WBCA AA game in Hartford. :D

Reaction Score
I have fond memories of being at the UConn vs. Pepperdine game in Malibu during DT's senior year in high school. Diana and her high school teammates were there in the stands and the whole place was abuzz about her being there. I could tell then we were getting a player that would transform the program.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I saw DT and the rest of the team about the 3rd or 4th game of her Fr. season. She came off the bench but she looked like she was special to me. UConn helped open the newly refurbished Hec Ed Pavilion at UW. The East Coast Huskies were not very nice guests to the West Coast version, it was a blood bath.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
One of the best threads of recent memory. Keep the memories coming for the newbies please. :)

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Now, I'd love some assistance from BY'ers with better memories for details as which college year it was and whether it was the (in)famous three-quarters of the court shot...

One of the clashes between the LV's and UConn that took place at the Civic Center featured Dee launching one from deep in Taurasi Land. For whatever reason, Pat had her back to the play but Mickie DeMoss saw the play. With the roar of the UConn faithful ringing in their ears, the following conversation ensued:

PS: "Who?"
MD: "Taurasi"
PS: "Where?"
MD: "Storrs"

Reaction Score
Okay, well, let me tell this story then.

In the 2001-2002 season, I played against UCONN. Preseason ESPN was really hyping up the 4 seniors: Bird, Cash, Williams, and Jones. During the game (which my team did NOT win - no opposing team would win that season), I remember Dee, off the dribble, getting wide open at the foul line and effortlessly hitting the jumper (and she'd scored other buckets in similar fashion). I remember thinking "I dunno what ESPN is talking about - that sophmore is their best player". It wasn't that Dee scored the most points, it was that it seemed she could get an easy shot any time she wanted. It was all just so easy.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
It was all just so easy.

That's a good way to put it. I think what jumped out at me when I saw her early in her Fr. year was her smoothness. Made it look effortless even if it really wasn't effortless.

Reaction Score
Started watching Uconn basketball the undefeated 2002 season. DT is the reason I’m a basketball fan.

Most memorable game for me was when Tenn was here during her junior year -which featured a half court shot, and an incredible game tying three. One of the best individual performances I’ve ever seen.

But her sophomore year, when she “just wanted to punch something orange” was most memorable.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
My friend & I have been going to games for many years. My comment to him after watching DT's 1st home game was, "That girl is going to set a lot of records at UConn." She didn't disappoint.

Reaction Score
Remember when Geno was recruiting DT and her mother didn't want her to move so far away. Liliana complained that it was "too dark" in CT. Geno conceded that it was dark, but also reminded her that it was nighttime.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I joined the Boneyard the Summer of 2004... I knew they had a to be a location on the web that folks would be talking about DT and UConn basketball. I was actually looking for a "chat room" not fully understanding "message boards"

Reaction Score
Those videos show when Lisa Leslie fell in love with DT.

I remember when Leslie retired, after her team was eliminated (by DT’s team) she said “I’m gonna go ahead and say it, she’s my favorite WNBA player.)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That's a good way to put it. I think what jumped out at me when I saw her early in her Fr. year was her smoothness. Made it look effortless even if it really wasn't effortless.
Agreed. Maya had the same quality. Made things look easy and was at a different level than everyone else.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

That game has parallels to the Bird at the Buzzer game 2 years earlier, starring Diana’s mentor:

2001: Sue sink a bomb at the halftime buzzer against our Big East rival.

2003: Diana sinks an even longer bomb at the halftime buzzer against our national rival.

2001: Sue takes the ball, goes the length of the court, and puts up a jumper that falls in at the end of the game to get UConn the win.

2003: Diana takes the pass off the curl and nails a 3-pointer to take the game to overtime, with UConn eventually winning.

This is typical Taurasi: Anything you (or Sue) can do, I can do better. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom