Drummond | The Boneyard

Drummond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Drummond with nice dunk in 4th quarter and gets fouled. Promptly air balls the free throw by more than foot. How can someone that has such quick hands and moves like he does be so bad at free throws? Everything else looks so effortlessly for him.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Drummond with nice dunk in 4th quarter and gets fouled. Promptly air balls the free throw by more than foot. How can someone that has such quick hands and moves like he does be so bad at free throws? Everything else looks so effortlessly for him.

best not to question greatness

Reaction Score

Finished with 12 pts, 16 rebs

Dwight Howard finished with 13 pts, 16 rebs in a win over the Mavs

Reaction Score
Finished with 12 pts, 16 rebs

Dwight Howard finished with 13 pts, 16 rebs in a win over the Mavs

All I can say, on a somewhat related...somewhat unrelated note, is that all Andrew Bynum wants for Christmas is to be Andre Drummond INCLUDING spending at least a year playing in front of us Husky mad, UCONN obsessed crazies. In fact, he might also have had the unique opportunity to have Fishy tell him that he was the one who REALLY ruined Christmas. :eek:

GO HUSKIES!!!
conn-12-mast-left-m-baskbl.png

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
AD should really get someone to teach him underhanded FT shooting. I suppose players are afraid of being mocked for it, but he will be a much for effective player if he can even hit 65% on his FTs.

C

Chief00

Still trying to comprehend Bill Russell averaging 22 rebounds per game in his career. An amazing statistic.

Reaction Score
AD should really get someone to teach him underhanded FT shooting. I suppose players are afraid of being mocked for it, but he will be a much for effective player if he can even hit 65% on his FTs.
How did that work out for Wilt?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

I saw an interview Rick Barry did (mid-late 1980's a number of years after he retired) where he said (I'll paraphrase) "I never shot free throws under 90% for a season during my career, finished first more often than not and only once finished below second but nobody ever asked me to teach them how to shoot free throws. The minute someone who was bad at free throws saw a new player who could hit 80% he would immediately ask for help. It was an ego thing and too many players, who would have been much better if they could hit free throws let their egos keep them from shooting the way I shot, which would have made any one of them a very good free throw shooter and a much better player.".

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Still trying to comprehend Bill Russell averaging 22 rebounds per game in his career. An amazing statistic.

The game was MUCH faster then. Russell's 22 RPG in the 50s/60s translates to about 13-14 RPG today.

Still a ton, but not quite as mind-blowing.

Adjust for pace and time on the floor, by the way, and the two greatest rebounders of all time are Rodman and Ben Wallace, with both Wilt and Russell, as well as Dwight Howard just below them.

Reaction Score
The game was MUCH faster then. Russell's 22 RPG in the 50s/60s translates to about 13-14 RPG today.

Still a ton, but not quite as mind-blowing.

Adjust for pace and time on the floor, by the way, and the two greatest rebounders of all time are Rodman and Ben Wallace, with both Wilt and Russell, as well as Dwight Howard just below them.

ben wallace averaged 12+ rebounds per game for 5 straight seasons, but I'm not sure that qualifies him as one of the two best of all time. 29.5 minutes per game and 9.6 rebounds for his career. Very solid, but he would have no shot at the hall of fame if it weren't for his shot blocking. Rodman was a beast and in the context of the different eras could arguably be considered better than Russel or chamberlain. I never saw either legends play in person, so I can't accurately comment on that.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
One thing I love is how people claim that Russell would be too small to play in the modern (Jordan's) era NBA yet in a later statement praise Rodman as a defender/rebounder. Rodman played the four at 6'7" (listed, in reality he was more like 6'6'").

Matrim55

Reaction Score
ben wallace averaged 12+ rebounds per game for 5 straight seasons, but I'm not sure that qualifies him as one of the two best of all time. 29.5 minutes per game and 9.6 rebounds for his career...

It's a mistake to use raw numbers for this discussion, again because of pace. Wallace, for example, posted those numbers during the slowest pace in the post-shot clock era, and his 12 RPG in the early '00s would have been closer to 15 RPG in the early '90s, or 16+ in the early '80s.

The best way to frame it is percentage of total rebounds available, a metric in which Rodman simply blows away the competition. He owns the top 7 seasons in league history, including one year in which he grabbed 40% of the rebounds available when he was on the floor. That's simply staggering, like hitting .400 in baseball - it doesn't seem possible.

To put it into perspective: Wilt holds the single-season record with 27.2 RPG in 1960/61. But he "only" grabbed 36% of the available rebounds that year. Rodman, at 42%, would have averaged 31.57 RPG.

It's kind of mind-blowing.

Wallace's numbers don't quite compare even by that metric, however it's worth bearing in mind that he was used first and foremost as a rim protector under Larry Brown, asked to chase shooters away and hedge hard on pick-and-rolls. Rebounding was a secondary concern, and obviously Wallace's late-career stats took a real nosedive as he lost his lift.

But when he was given license to own the boards, he was a monster.

I suspect that, in a modern scheme, Russell would've ended up being Wallace-esque on defense with a Marc Gasol-like offensive game. And Wilt would have been a lot like Dwight Howard on both ends.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
One thing I love is how people claim that Russell would be too small to play in the modern (Jordan's) era NBA yet in a later statement praise Rodman as a defender/rebounder. Rodman played the four at 6'7" (listed, in reality he was more like 6'6'").

People who say that about Russell are silly.

That said, I think Rodman (like Duncan) was listed as smaller than he actually is

Jordan is 6-foot-6:
hi-res-1396636_display_image.jpg

Phil is 6-foot-8:
rodman3_120320.jpg

You know who's built like Rodman, by the way? Rakim Lubin!

Fingers crossed...

Reaction Score
It's a mistake to use raw numbers for this discussion, again because of pace. Wallace, for example, posted those numbers during the slowest pace in the post-shot clock era, and his 12 RPG in the early '00s would have been closer to 15 RPG in the early '90s, or 16+ in the early '80s.

The best way to frame it is percentage of total rebounds available, a metric in which Rodman simply blows away the competition. He owns the top 7 seasons in league history, including one year in which he grabbed 40% of the rebounds available when he was on the floor. That's simply staggering, like hitting .400 in baseball - it doesn't seem possible.

To put it into perspective: Wilt holds the single-season record with 27.2 RPG in 1960/61. But he "only" grabbed 36% of the available rebounds that year. Rodman, at 42%, would have averaged 31.57 RPG.

It's kind of mind-blowing.

Wallace's numbers don't quite compare even by that metric, however it's worth bearing in mind that he was used first and foremost as a rim protector under Larry Brown, asked to chase shooters away and hedge hard on pick-and-rolls. Rebounding was a secondary concern, and obviously Wallace's late-career stats took a real nosedive as he lost his lift.

But when he was given license to own the boards, he was a monster.

I suspect that, in a modern scheme, Russell would've ended up being Wallace-esque on defense with a Marc Gasol-like offensive game. And Wilt would have been a lot like Dwight Howard on both ends.

percentage rebounds also has a huge amount to do with who else is on your team. If everyone boxes out and clears space and lets you get the rebound, than your numbers will look a lot better. Look at Howard getting 26 rebounds in a game. It has a lot to do with his teammates letting him get the defensive rebounds while they take off to get to the other end of the floor.

Reaction Score

That said, I think Rodman (like Duncan) was listed as smaller than he actually is

Jordan is 6-foot-6:

Phil is 6-foot-8:
rodman3_120320.jpg

Fingers crossed...

Rodman was a solid 6`8 listing him smaller is inaccurate. he was definitely 6`8.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score

Let's not forget the round mound of rebound here either.

Reaction Score
Wow just coast-to-coast like that for centers these days would be impossible.......great find James!

C

Chief00

Sorry guys Russell was really, really good and he played with great intensity. So much so he vomited before each game. One pre-game he did not vomit and Red then told him to.

Reaction Score
Rodman in those peak rebounding years also literally did nothing else. He never touched the ball on offense and stopped guarding people intensely enough to take himself out of rebounding position. His numbers were impressive, but you could say he was the rebounding equivalent of a chucker.

Wallace wasn't much on offense either - but he blocked shots and defended the rim too.

Reaction Score
In that clip of Russel he looks like SF, there is no body fat on the guy.

Reaction Score

Jordan is 6-foot-6:

Phil is 6-foot-8:
rodman3_120320.jpg

Fingers crossed...
i saw Jordan at Mohegan Sun a few years back, and he is definitely not 6'6...more like 6'3 if that

Reaction Score
I saw an interview Rick Barry did (mid-late 1980's a number of years after he retired) where he said (I'll paraphrase) "I never shot free throws under 90% for a season during my career, finished first more often than not and only once finished below second but nobody ever asked me to teach them how to shoot free throws because I was an enormous who nobody wanted to talk to. ".

I fixed it for you . . .

Reaction Score
i saw Jordan at Mohegan Sun a few years back, and he is definitely not 6'6...more like 6'3 if that

I worked for Jordan's agent back in 1989-1990. I'm 6'3". Jordan easily had a few inches on me in regular shoes. I cut videos from all his advertisements into promotional campaigns for the sports agency, ProServ, at the time. We used the videos to pitch Jordan to new sponsors. He is definitely not 6'3". He has at least two inches over me. Probably between 6'5" and 6'6".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom