Drummond Survives First USA Cut | The Boneyard

Drummond Survives First USA Cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He's in the 16 - Beal, Wall and Millsap were dropped (along with George, obviously). Final cuts go down to 12 later.

Didn't think he'd make it, since he looks easy to cut (ie: "you're not ready yet, just keep at it and we'll see you next cycle"). But not privy to practices and things.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Did Sammy Mejia make the cut?

Or did Arby's fire him?

Reaction Score
He's in the 16 - Beal, Wall and Millsap were dropped (along with George, obviously). Final cuts go down to 12 later.

Didn't think he'd make it, since he looks easy to cut (ie: "you're not ready yet, just keep at it and we'll see you next cycle"). But not privy to practices and things.

That's not right give George a break! :oops:

Reaction Score
Can somebody explain why Beal would be dropped? I just don't get it. You'd think a versatile wing who can defend multiple positions and knock down open threes would be a perfect fit on a team like this, especially with George now out. People talk about how we're going to stop the Gasol brothers, but I see perimeter defense as this teams biggest weakness; guys like Irving, Harden, Lillard, and Curry can't guard at all, and Derozan, Korver, and Thompson range from marginal to slightly above average. Somebody like Jimmy Butler or Taj Gibson would have been a perfect complement to the teams foundation, especially with them being familiar with some of the schemes that I'm sure Thib's is trying to implement.

It sure seems like one of Cousins, Plumlee, or Drummond is going to go. Since there was so much speculation about Plumlee making the team over Cousins last week, I wonder if that infers 'Dre stays. The other three cuts will probably be Parsons, Hayward, and Derozan.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Can somebody explain why Beal would be dropped? I just don't get it. You'd think a versatile wing who can defend multiple positions and knock down open threes would be a perfect fit on a team like this, especially with George now out. People talk about how we're going to stop the Gasol brothers, but I see perimeter defense as this teams biggest weakness; guys like Irving, Harden, Lillard, and Curry can't guard at all, and Derozan, Korver, and Thompson range from marginal to slightly above average. Somebody like Jimmy Butler or Taj Gibson would have been a perfect complement to the teams foundation, especially with them being familiar with some of the schemes that I'm sure Thib's is trying to implement.

It sure seems like one of Cousins, Plumlee, or Drummond is going to go. Since there was so much speculation about Plumlee making the team over Cousins last week, I wonder if that infers 'Dre stays. The other three cuts will probably be Parsons, Hayward, and Derozan.

Because Jim Boeheim is an assistant and, for better or worse, clearly has some sort of input in player selection

Cousins and Drummond would seem to be ideal, but then again, I'm not watching.

Reaction Score
Because Jim Boeheim is an assistant and, for better or worse, clearly has some sort of input in player selection

Cousins and Drummond would seem to be ideal, but then again, I'm not watching.

Cousins is a lackluster defender who struggles with rotations. With the guards they have, the US just needs a Tyson Chandler type who will play good defense and clean the glass. Drummond is far from a perfect defender, but he's probably the best rebounder in the sport.

Add in Cousins' attitude problems and I wonder how much value he actually brings to the US.

Reaction Score
Beal and wall should carry this chip on their shoulder into the season. Already a top backcourt, imagine if they took another leap this year?

Guards: Rose, Curry, Lillard, Harden, Thompson, Irving

Forwards: Durant, Faried, Hayward, Parsons, DeRozan, Korver

Centers: Davis, Cousins, Plumlee, Drummond

Cut 3? Korver, hayward, plumlee. Boom.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can somebody explain why Beal would be dropped? I just don't get it. You'd think a versatile wing who can defend multiple positions and knock down open threes would be a perfect fit on a team like this, especially with George now out.

Yeah I think he was superfluous before, but with George injury, I'd have probably given him a second shot. The problem is the team is loaded with guards. Maybe he didn't shoot well in the camp? Him and Klay Thompson are pretty similar, and I guess Thompson was better in camp.

Reaction Score
fwiw...Goodwill is the Pistons beatwriter
Vincent Goodwill‏@vgoodwill
While Coach K is very vague with how he evaluates Drummond, he's certainly more definitive in praise of DeMarcus Cousins and M. Plumlee

Reaction Score
Yeah I think he was superfluous before, but with George injury, I'd have probably given him a second shot. The problem is the team is loaded with guards. Maybe he didn't shoot well in the camp? Him and Klay Thompson are pretty similar, and I guess Thompson was better in camp.

I always envisioned Beal and George playing together alongside Davis, Durant, and Curry. That would have been an absolutely fearsome lineup, but you're right, Thompson is probably better than Beal right now. The thing is, Beal has the size where you can pretty easily slide him to the three in certain lineups, and with Durant likely occupying a strangle-hold on the minutes at the four, I'd much rather have an extra wing like Beal than somebody like Parsons or Hayward.

Reaction Score
fwiw...Goodwill is the Pistons beatwriter
Vincent Goodwill‏@vgoodwill
While Coach K is very vague with how he evaluates Drummond, he's certainly more definitive in praise of DeMarcus Cousins and M. Plumlee

This blurb from today's Stein/Windhorst column doesn't sound too promising, either:

Andre Drummond
When Team USA practices resume in Chicago, Drummond will find himself needing to play catch-up to Cousins and Plumlee. Coach K is likely to take only two extra centers behind Davis, and Drummond, for all of his rebounding gifts at age 20, is a distinct No. 3 in that race after a lackluster week in Vegas.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/basketball/story/_/id/11311537/breaking-remaining-team-usa-roster

Reaction Score
If Coach K picks one of the Plumelees this is going to become a huge joke. If they didn't go to Duke I firmly believe that wouldn't have made the first cut, and Mason probably wouldn't even have been invited to camp.

Reaction Score
I am very petty so if K picks Plumlee and not Drummond I am rooting against the US.

Reaction Score
Coach K is a clown, a once great coach whose best days are clearly behind him.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Why get a range rover when you can get a 2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse?

Reaction Score
I'm with you all re: Drummond, but from reports (not just the potentially biased K) Plumlee is killing it in tryouts and got the better of Cousins in the exhibition before they ended it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm with you all re:Drummond, but from reports (not just the potentially biased K) Plumlee is killing it in tryouts and got the better of Cousins in the exhibition before they ended it.

Plumlee did look good in the exhibition (better than Drummond) and I'm sure he's looked good in practice, but there's only so much you can conclude from such an unorganized setting. Drummond was a much better player in the NBA last season, and the "Plumlee is better suited for the international game" argument is tough to make since their skill sets are so similar. If you're looking for a center to complement the foundation that's already in place, you're looking for somebody who can protect the rim, clean up the back board, and occupy the defense on pick and rolls. Drummond's a powerful roll man and dangerous weakside cutter, he's the best rebounder in the world, he's a capable rim protector, and he's improving against the pick-and-roll. Plumlee does none of those things better than Drummond - he's a marginal rebounder, he's not quite as explosive as Drummond rolling through the lane, and he's by no means a great defender. Not to mention, he's four years older than Drummond, and since neither Plumlee nor Drummond are likely to play anyway...wouldn't you prefer to get the guy with a lot more upside that valuable experience?

Reaction Score
Plumlee did look good in the exhibition (better than Drummond) and I'm sure he's looked good in practice, but there's only so much you can conclude from such an unorganized setting. Drummond was a much better player in the NBA last season, and the "Plumlee is better suited for the international game" argument is tough to make since their skill sets are so similar. If you're looking for a center to complement the foundation that's already in place, you're looking for somebody who can protect the rim, clean up the back board, and occupy the defense on pick and rolls. Drummond's a powerful roll man and dangerous weakside cutter, he's the best rebounder in the world, he's a capable rim protector, and he's improving against the pick-and-roll. Plumlee does none of those things better than Drummond - he's a marginal rebounder, he's not quite as explosive as Drummond rolling through the lane, and he's by no means a great defender. Not to mention, he's four years older than Drummond, and since neither Plumlee nor Drummond are likely to play anyway...wouldn't you prefer to get the guy with a lot more upside that valuable experience?

Like I said, I'm with you. Only counter argument I can think of is that if these guys aren't playing anyway, as a coach you get the guy that will practice the hardest, cheer the best on the bench, and buy in and echo your message as much as you can. Drummond probably too busy making vines and DMing chicks on Twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom