Drummond- Stokes | The Boneyard

Drummond- Stokes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Both 18, but Stokes has the concept of how to plant his big body in the post and go to work. What have our coaches been teaching Andre?

Reaction Score
Both 18, but Stokes has the concept of how to plant his big body in the post and go to work. What have our coaches been teaching Andre?

Let' cut the "coaches" crap............Lord knows they will break this game down and explain to Andre the things he needs to do to be better, yet again!!! As far as Alex let's be honest..............if it's not any better yet not sure we'll ever see that break through.........

You can't teach the fundamentals as quick as you would like and some guys never quite get the concept. Alex always defends a slasher with one handed attempts at blocks instead of the fundamentals of movi9ng his feet and getting in front of the player. Andre is always floating away from the play never stops his body to be strong to make defensive stops. Tyler, who should conceptually be a great offensive foul guy also believes he can be Marvin fn Webster and is out of position too much. I really believe it's ALL on the front line in order for this team to find chemistry. They suck posting up, they do not defend well, do not set solid picks and the IQ is not at the top of the hoops scale. Pretty scary!!!

Reaction Score
Begs the question on whether this guy was better off doing the prep/straight to the NBA thing to capitalize on his draft status.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Begs the question on whether this guy was better off doing the prep/straight to the NBA thing to capitalize on his draft status.

He hasn't hurt his draft stock a bit.

Reaction Score
No he hasn't but his raw athleticism have tantalized us into believing that he could master some post moves and not rely on set up dunks and fade away jumpers. Alex, I just don't know what to say. He had 5 chippy put backs that he couldn't get down. He was Ok rebounding but he can't make a lay up or free throw. Can a junior remedy that? I don't think so.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
So people are just going to forget that he's put up big numbers in Big East games? The scouts just ignore that, right?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
No he hasn't but his raw athleticism have tantalized us into believing that he could master some post moves and not rely on set up dunks and fade away jumpers.

I'm sorry that he hasn't met your tantalization-inspired timetable, but he's an 18 year old freshman with simply immense talent. The game of basketball will be this kid's bitch for the next 15 years.

This is where I bang my head against a wall.

Reaction Score
It'll be interesting to see where he goes.
He's a project. A big project. I'm not sure where his head is. He had 6 points and 9 boards today against a team that doesn't have a center. His release point is very low, and he hasn't made an adjustment yet.

How much can he improve by September? How will he do looking at a 6/11 guy every night?

If an NBA team burns a top pick on him this year, they're not going to get immediate returns. And while I can't picture him busting out of the NBA, given his natural talent, it's a real question as to how long it will take him to improve.

The one thing the kid really needs to develop is fire in his belly.

Watching him today, for the first time, I questioned whether he had a bit of Stanleyitis - just a really nice kid playing a sport in which you often have to be aggressive and mean.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Good points, Prez...if AD does declare this year, I don't doubt that he could be a top ten draft pick but I can't imagine an NBA team playing him more than garbage minutes next year and he would likely need to spend most of the year in the D-league to continue to work on fundamentals.

AD is a great kid and he has off the charts raw abilities but he really doesn't know how to play basketball, doesn't know the difference between a good basketball play and what he thinks would look good on a highlight show. That is the real difference between AD and Stokes, Stokes has enough experience to know is a good basketball play and he knows how to carve out position on the low block.

I cannot believe that the coaching staff is deficient in teaching post skills but it is also inexplicable why AD hasn't seemed to improve more in simple ways to get post position and why AO when starting out as an accomplished high school player (McD's AA) after three years of experience, 30 months of receiving high level coaching and over 80 college games does he struggle so much in his footwork and to perform simple skills like catching the ball and finishing shots against smaller defenders within five feet of the basket?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reaction Score

its funny because when talk was that he was going to the nba straight out of prep school i said that that would be a mistake and could end up being the next kwame brown and people drilled me for it. the fact is he is no where near nba ready and would be best for him to comeback another year and spend the summer working in the post.

Reaction Score
you know what i dont get now that i really think about it is you have AO and AD who should be playing against each other day in and day out in practice how are neither one of these guys improving? AD has improved but AO has been horrible and AD is still trying to figure out how to work in the post on both ends.smh

Reaction Score
AO. OK here's my solution. You stand him in the post and let him do 1000 reps a day. Lay ups put backs whatever. Run different students in there around the clock. Wrestlers, bodybuilders, convicts. Move his cot in the gym. Every now and then throw a piece of raw steak at him.

H

huskymagic

AO. OK here's my solution. You stand him in the post and let him do 1000 reps a day. Lay ups put backs whatever. Run different students in there around the clock. Wrestlers, bodybuilders, convicts. Move his cot in the gym. Every now and then throw a piece of raw steak at him.

I like your post just because it made me laugh out loud but disagree with you on Oriakhi. He is our best big and he is the only guy on the team who likes to get physical and bang with guys. He needs to play 30 to 35 minutes every game at a fast pace. Everything else you said though are good ideas and Calhoun should move his cot in the gym so he could be the workhorse we need him to be lol.

Reaction Score
Are you related or did you just learn to copy and paste with alex being the beneficiary?

Reaction Score
I like your post just because it made me laugh out loud but disagree with you on Oriakhi. He is our best big and he is the only guy on the team who likes to get physical and bang with guys. He needs to play 30 to 35 minutes every game at a fast pace. Everything else you said though are good ideas and Calhoun should move his cot in the gym so he could be the workhorse we need him to be lol.

AO needs to develop his hand strength!

Oh, and please stop celebrating everytime he does something right.

He needs to get his butt to the other end of the court, as quickly as possible.

Peace,

John Fryer

Reaction Score
Glad someone else sees that John. By the way alex and andre are both too slow getting back on D quite often - need to show more passon to want to impact on that end.

H

huskymagic

AO needs to develop his hand strength!

Oh, and please stop celebrating everytime he does something right.

He needs to get his butt to the other end of the court, as quickly as possible.

Peace,

John Fryer

John you cant just develop hand strength and it wouldnt matter if he did. You have to be born with great hands and instincts and those are things that are intangibles and cant be taught no matter how many exercises he does. Oriakhi is one of my favorite guys on the team and I find it funny that you guys keep trashing Alex even though he is our best big and there is no one on this team that can start in front of him and thats the sad reality of the situation. We need to work with what we got and right now that's Alex and Andre. The whole team is playing bad defense not just Alex, but in yesterday's game Alex played the best defense out of anybody shutting down Mayman when he was in there. Drummond is a no show in the post on defense he lingers around on the perimeter or doesnt put a good effort in the post. Daniels/Rosoce/Olander/Bradley etc are not ready or capable to contribute for us. Oriakhi can be a go to guy in the post for some touches with the right changes in the lineup and game plan.

Reaction Score
He was in foul troubke because he was out of position and couldn't handle the smaller Maymon or Stokes and you're right noone else could eithr. But he's a Jr. and has shown nothing in regards ti improvement but let's reward him with more minutes?

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
"John you cant just develop hand strength and it wouldnt matter if he did. "You have to be born with great hands"

Foolishness!

Adrien had awful hands during his frosh year And excellent hands by his senior year. Hand strength can certainly be developed. Why AO has not improved in this area is a mystery but most players improve quite a bit In hand strength and ability to catch the ball between their freshman and junior years.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
To complete the equation on Stokes v AD (with regard to what blame falls on our coaching staff) keep in mind that our staff (albeit, still without a true big man coach for reasons I cannot understand) as had (officially) all of three months to work with AD. I am still stunned when I see him play at how limited his skill set currently is. Granted, he has had such an advantage in size and athleticism that he had little need to develop the skills that other bigs may have required throughout HS (in order to compete at this level) but at least twice a game (sometimes far more) I question how someone could have possibly played the number of games he has through this point in his life and still be so fundamentally unsound. If he did the prep to NBA thing that Quinn wanted for him (and Quinn deserves quite a bit of the blame on AD's current skill set) he may have ended up as one of the biggest draft busts in history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom