Drummond, Rudy Gay, etc.. should have stayed in college | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Drummond, Rudy Gay, etc.. should have stayed in college

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Why would you expect a player who isn't a franchise player to play like one?

He's paid like one. Isn't that the ultimate metric? And you admit that he didn't play his best and his team lost to an inferior squad.

Reaction Score
He's paid like one. Isn't that the ultimate metric? And you admit that he didn't play his best and his team lost to an inferior squad.

He's paid like Danny Granger, Luol Deng, & Andre Iugodala, 3 other tier 2 SFs who aren't franchise players. But hey, keep holding onto a grudge because Rudy didn't play up to your expectations during his time as a UConn player.

Reaction Score
He's paid like Danny Granger, Luol Deng, & Andre Iugodala, 3 other tier 2 SFs who aren't franchise players. But hey, keep holding onto a grudge because Rudy didn't play up to your expectations during his time as a UConn player.
Interesting that some measure success by what the players get paid in this thread and others see failure because of what guys are paid.

Reaction Score
Interesting that some measure success by what the players get paid in this thread and others see failure because of what guys are paid.

I guess it's whether you side with the billionaire owners or the millionaire players.

Reaction Score
I guess it's whether you side with the billionaire owners or the millionaire players.
Boy you miss the point every time. Waquoit dislikes Rudy Gay because he thinks Rudy is overpaid, I think you would say Gay is an complete success because of what he's paid. And yet both of you are on record saying Rudy would have no benefit of staying at UConn an additional year and in your case (extrapolating your view that prohibiting high schoolers is a travesty) no benefit for playing at/attending UConn at all.

To spell it out more clearly for you I can't speak for him but I don't think Waquoit is on the "owners side" for both aspects.

And why would you or anyone care about a difference between millionaires and billionaires? Do you also like trillionaires less than billionares?

Reaction Score
It's hard to follow which side you're on when there is no logic behind anything you say.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Waquoit dislikes Rudy Gay because he thinks Rudy is overpaid,

Nah, that ain't it. I don't dislike the guy, he seems like a good guy. But to me, he's just one of those guys who just doesn't care enough. They don't put W's and L's on the paycheck. I wouldn't want him on my team. I want guys who give a crap if their team wins.

Reaction Score
To compare those who skipped college all together with those who played college ball and then went into the NBA is a spurious argument. I don't think any players development as a player is hurt by going to college - maybe their hype is just lessended.

Not to long ago to even entertain the though of going from HS to the NBA you were a world beater, now it seems you just have to be very good and I think alot of those who jumped directly will wash out of the league who had they played some (or more) college ball would have been better equipped .

There are only so many NBA spots and it seems to me alot of young players throw themselves into the draft who should not. I remember how Caron seemed just OK until the light went off and he became unstoppable his last year - I think progressively playing better talent allowed that. Had he left college b/ would he have had the confidence he had as a result of playing in college with good, but not NBA caliber players?

Reaction Score
I plan on cutting and pasting this story every time someone makes the argument that so-and-so should go pro. Pretty informed source believes that the college experience just might pay off in the long haul. Ray Allen used as an example.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7883540/steve-kerr-problems-age-limit-nba
Nah, I say take the cash if a player is a #1 draft pick. You never know what can happen. Rudy is having an excellent career and Andre may ever again be able to get #1 pick type of money.There is more than a reasonable chance that Andre will never be worth more than he is right now. Is Andre ready for the NBA? Absolutely not but he has as much of a chance developing as a pro than he does at Uconn. Think Bynum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom