Drummond 2nd Coming of Fab Melo?? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Drummond 2nd Coming of Fab Melo??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
The only way Drummond comes back to school is if the NBA ups the age limit. I don't care if he averages a 5 and 5 this season, he's still a top ten pick IMO.
I would agree with this. Way too much athletic ability for NBA franchises to pass up.

Reaction Score
And also, I hate to over simplify things, but all Drummond really learns how to do is get deep post positioin. He's so big, strong, and athletic that if he gets it anywhere near the basket, the defenders only hope is to foul him. I think the coaching staff just needs to practice posting up all season with this kid and he'll be dominant. He just needs to learn how to pin his defender, free himself up, recieve an entry pass, etc.

Reaction Score
The only way Drummond comes back to school is if the NBA ups the age limit. I don't care if he averages a 5 and 5 this season, he's still a top ten pick IMO.
yea true teams regularly take bigger risks in the top ten based on potential alone.

Reaction Score
All you have to do is watch the way AD moves to know that there will be plenty of teams who will pick him at the top of the draft. He's got solid BBIQ, his combination of athleticism and size are off the charts. He simply needs time and coaching to help him develop a post-up game and learn how to defend w/out fouling. I've seen 2 of the 3 games and he seems to know what to do out there for the most part. He just has to stop the silly reach-in fouls, not to mention look down and not run over li'l guys that happen to be between him and the basket. :) This little guard he ran over looked like he got shot by a canon when AD ran into him. It looked like a Hummer hitting a Yugo.

AD has a lot to learn, but he's very teachable.

Reaction Score
And also, I hate to over simplify things, but all Drummond really learns how to do is get deep post positioin. He's so big, strong, and athletic that if he gets it anywhere near the basket, the defenders only hope is to foul him. I think the coaching staff just needs to practice posting up all season with this kid and he'll be dominant. He just needs to learn how to pin his defender, free himself up, recieve an entry pass, etc.
Agree. If he simply learns how to establish deep post position and stay out of foul trouble, he's going to average close to a double-double. If he learns some post moves and can knock down some midrange and close range Js, he's going to be unstoppable. I just don't know how far along in his development he'll get while at UConn.

Reaction Score
The next draft is gonna be stacked as . Austin rivers looks like he's the best player on duke already. Barnes jones other random Kentucky guys lamb kid from Baylor drum. Unless the nba ceases to exist

Reaction Score
2 thoughts on Drummond:

1. It's a testament to how dominant he has been at every level he's played at that the man doesn't seem to have a half-hook in his arsenal. 6/10ish with a 40 inch vertical, the half hook is untouchable. He's just never needed it.

2. With the athletic ability he has, IF the will is there, he'd get 8 points a game on put backs alone. If the will was there, he'd get 4 on alley-oops. I think what he needs to do most is start a fire in his belly. The Colombia kid smacked his facemask with an open hand and dropped him like a bag of spuds. Sure it hurt. Who am I to say? I've never had that particular injury. But to drop to the floor? FIRE IN BELLY. GET IN ME BELLY. He needs to get angry. He needs to take off the Gumby suit and put on the Godzilla suit. Calling Lit. Calling Lit . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc5iTNVEOAg&ob=av2e

Reaction Score
Agree. If he simply learns how to establish deep post position and stay out of foul trouble, he's going to average close to a double-double. If he learns some post moves and can knock down some midrange and close range Js, he's going to be unstoppable. I just don't know how far along in his development he'll get while at UConn.

True. If this was NBA 2K11 Drummond would be a 99 athleticism and 99 potential. We'll just have to see how far he comes in four months. Obviously he won't be the complete package for 5+ years, but if he can average close to a double double and play good defense UConn fans will be very happy. Defensively he seems to move his feet well for a man of his size. Really, with his size and athletic ability, he should be grabbing 15+ boards againt a team like Columbia. But then you have to factor in instincts. Rebounding and shot blocking is probably 75% physical makeup, 25% instincts. Only time will tell how good his instincts are.

Reaction Score
2 thoughts on Drummond:

1. It's a testament to how dominant he has been at every level he's played at that the man doesn't seem to have a half-hook in his arsenal. 6/10ish with a 40 inch vertical, the half hook is untouchable. He's just never needed it.

2. With the athletic ability he has, IF the will is there, he'd get 8 points a game on put backs alone. If the will was there, he'd get 4 on alley-oops. I think what he needs to do most is start a fire in his belly. The Colombia kid smacked his facemask with an open hand and dropped him like a bag of spuds. Sure it hurt. Who am I to say? I've never had that particular injury. But to drop to the floor? FIRE IN BELLY. GET IN ME BELLY. He needs to get angry. He needs to take off the Gumby suit and put on the Godzilla suit. Calling Lit. Calling Lit . . .

+1. I would say the same thing for Oriakhi.

Reaction Score
2 thoughts on Drummond:

Are you kidding me! Do you think the mask is to make people believe he's a super hero? He's got a broken nose that probably hurts in the first place and then gets smacked what seemed to be from the bottom of his nose jamming it upward which has to hurt like the dickens.

Have you ever taken a shot to the nose. I have and it hurts like h*ll and makes your eye water for a moment. I don't know how you link what happened to him to having or not having a fire in his belly.

I was hoping he didn't re-break the nose. I haven't heard how he's feeling.

Reaction Score
its the first game of the season...

Point? It was the first game for Lamb too....and Napier and Oriakhi and Smith and Daniels.........

Andre didn't look like he did because it was the first game of the season. He looked that way because he needs work. And he seems like the kind of kid determined to do that work. And he seems to have lots of, as of yet, untapped potential. I think we are all pulling for him.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Point? It was the first game for Lamb too....and Napier and Oriakhi and Smith and Daniels.........

Andre didn't look like he did because it was the first game of the season. He looked that way because he needs work. And he seems like the kind of kid determined to do that work. And he seems to have lots of, as of yet, untapped potential. I think we are all pulling for him.
we are pulling for him, but everyone you mentioned minus daniels have a year and a NC under them... its harder, especially for a center to come in off the bench behind ao along with a mask... I'm tempering expectations and would love for him to hit full stride in late jan to april... i give everyone at least several games before i start criticizing

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
IMO he wasn't that bad for the few minutes he was in. He needs to learn not to reach on D. But he was a defensive presence inside and in contrast to AO and RS, he could challenge the shot and still turn for the rebound. Also made two very good passes.. One thing he can't do yet is to catch the ball in the low post outside the lane and create an effective shot. So, the offense needs to adjust...get him cutting across the lane after a back screen is set or put him in the high post and let RS or DD cut from the wing back door to the hoop and he has the ability to hit them with an accurate pass

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
IMO he wasn't that bad for the few minutes he was in. He needs to learn not to reach on D. But he was a defensive presence inside and in contrast to AO and RS, he could challenge the shot and still turn for the rebound. Also made two very good passes.. One thing he can't do yet is to catch the ball in the low post outside the lane and create an effective shot. So, the offense needs to adjust...get him cutting across the lane after a back screen is set or put him in the high post and let RS or DD cut from the wing back door to the hoop and he has the ability to hit them with an accurate pass
yeah hes realizing that the kids he's going to play against are not going to be pushovers anymore and he can't do most things he could, he'll adjust and he has the right coaching staff for the job, plus ao

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Folks - it's one game. You can't make judgements for or against based on one game - particularly the first game. Are you going to say that Alex is a horrible front court player based on this game?

If the stats and impact are the same in 5 or 6 games, you can start to question things. If you do it after one game, you're just being silly. So stop it and wait for things to unfold.

When has UConn ever been totally dominate in the first week of the season? We prepare for February, March and April, not November.

This is a work in progress....

Reaction Score
why not lose the mask... be a hockey player :p cause it didnt help getting smacked in the face with it on

Reaction Score
how long is that mask on for?
Unfortunately (for him) he'll probably still need it throughout BE play. Its that physical and I think he'll want that protection. He may not wear it initially but I see it on after the 3rd game.

Reaction Score
Are you kidding me! Have you ever taken a shot to the nose.
Broke my nose badly in 5th grade - don't really remember the pain, other than it was really bad at the time. Don't remember having to go to playground with a protective mask on.

Point is - obviously it hurt. It's the crumpling to the floor as if you just took a liver shot from Junior Dos Santos that is interesting to me. There's just something about it. Jump a bit. Swear. Place face in hands. Remove mask. Bend over. And so on. But crumple to floor?

For the record - I think he's going to be great. I just think he needs to get mean.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This seems as good a time as any to admit to telling my sister maybe 4-5 games into last season that I didn't see anything to speak of in Lamb, and we know how that worked out

C

Chief00

AD will be fine. So a Freshmen who picks up a couple quick fouls has a bad game - it has happened before to some guys who became great players. AD can dominant a game. I have seen him do that in brief stretches already in exhibition games.
On offense he needs to work more before the shot, either getting offensive position for a shot or for a rebound. That is a natural transition situation for a Big guy.
So far my predictions about AD have been on target.
Quite frankly, AD is a very nice kid. However, he does have a nasty streak in him - when the right button is pushed or if he gets frustrated - my guess is that comes out Monday - and we all know Calhoun absolutely does like that nasty streak in a big man.

Reaction Score
The best move Andre Drummond ever could have made for his future is coming to UConn this year.
And the best move for his career in the NBA would be to refine his game under Jim Calhoun for 2 years.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This seems as good a time as any to admit to telling my sister maybe 4-5 games into last season that I didn't see anything to speak of in Lamb, and we know how that worked out

Clearly no one here remembers Emeka's early games.

Reaction Score
Here we go. Who cares what some dumb asses on ESPN have to say about AD?

One game in and all of a sudden AD is a bust and AO is a scrub. Does anyone really think we are going to have problems in the paint this year vs last year? If so call your doctor and get on meds ASAP.

We are a really young team- it is going to take a while for us to get it together. We are not UNC. Our expectation should be that we get better one game to the next. The good news- it is not going to take much for AD and AO to improve from the first game- they were a non factor.

Let's relax and enjoy the ride.

Reaction Score
Rip Hamilton shot 2-14 in his first game and looked lost. A couple years ago, Kemba looked like a fast playground kid with no idea of how to play basketball. It took Lamb a little while to settle in, as others have pointed out. You also have to remember with Drummond that the concussion kept him out of practice for a while and got him out of rhythm too, in addition to the mask issues. An older player can overcome that - a freshman not as much. And I don't think you can judge how someone reacts to a head injury as a comment on his fire. When you get disoriented (and he just had a concussion), your body reacts defensively out of instinct. Heck, Dwyane Wade and Paul Pierce have famously been carted off in wheelchairs for non-wheelchair related injuries. Do they lack fire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom