Dropping sports | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dropping sports

Reaction Score
So what is the problem? UConn wanted to be a Power 5 school with a top football program for years. Now they finally realize that the sports strength of the school is basketball i. e. The Big East for better or for worse. Do you really think that the thinning of these sports is going to make a difference? My opinion: nothing. The State is losing population and pushing the envelope on the residents who remain. Money has to be well spent and tough decisions made. Why shouldn't the University evaluate what is profitable and what isn't. Sounds like they are moving in the right direction, he says as he receives his envelope for a financial contribution.

Reaction Score
UConn has let the football team bleed so much money because they were delusional and thought they could turn the program around, thus getting an invite to a Power 5 conference.
Not really... the stadium came first and we were still in a good conference. When other conferences started poaching teams from the BE, it blew up the conference. Because our football team was slightly down, we lost the last P5 slot to Louisville.

Reaction Score
Tell Geno. He started attending Paige Bueckers HS games when she was an eighth grader and made a steady habit of it. Heck he went after she commited.

Yes, and I mentioned, it was all just to show how much he was interested. As for evaluating a player, going to almost any HS game is useless.

Reaction Score
So with Uconn dropping 4 sports and reducing all budgets will the wbb program suffer...is the dynasty finally history or are all schools in the same predicament?
Not to get political.... but..... didn't UCONN announce last week that Dreamers would be allowed to go to the university tuition free???? Now they are dropping sports.... and I know students who were being recruited by UCONN in the sports being cut... they are devastated.... I know some people will say these are two different issues.... but are they really?

Reaction Score
So with Uconn dropping 4 sports and reducing all budgets will the wbb program suffer...is the dynasty finally history or are all schools in the same predicament?

Why wouldn't Geno still attract players? And he only has 1 senior, it appears a terrific frosh class, already a solid class coming in for 2021 season, and a star recruit for the 2022 class.

And ofc it is possible Azzi might choose a different school, but why exactly do you think she won't come to UCONN? You realize that she is not coming to any school until next year, right?

You think UCONN is going to drop women's basketball while other schools will play?

I don't understand why you are posing the question about the dynasty being over.

Reaction Score
Why wouldn't Geno still attract players? And he only has 1 senior, it appears a terrific frosh class, already a solid class coming in for 2021 season, and a star recruit for the 2022 class.

And ofc it is possible Azzi might choose a different school, but why exactly do you think she won't come to UCONN? You realize that she is not coming to any school until next year, right?

You think UCONN is going to drop women's basketball while other schools will play?

I don't understand why you are posing the question about the dynasty being over.
I don't believe anyone is saying that she would not come to UConn, just that the financial situations at schools might certainly play a part in players selections process. Players in todays WCBB world, are making more logical and less emotional decisions than the did in the past. They are not just making decisions based on one factor alone.

Reaction Score

Not saying baskeball will be dropped...merely saying that Uconn has announced budget cuts everywhere which will impact recruiting i.e less money to spend on plane trips to visit recruits..reduced footprint in some areas of the country because games requiring longer travel distances may have to be curtailed in favor of closer locations..Hope that clears up my concerns...anyway life goes on..peace brother.

Reaction Score
Not saying baskeball will be dropped...merely saying that Uconn has announced budget cuts everywhere which will impact recruiting i.e less money to spend on plane trips to visit recruits..reduced footprint in some areas of the country because games requiring longer travel distances may have to be curtailed in favor of closer locations..Hope that clears up my concerns...anyway life goes on..peace brother.

The Men's and Women's basketball budgets will NOT be touched, UConn is dumb, but they are NOT moronically stupid! They realize that the basketball programs are the bread and butter for the University!

Reaction Score

Okay-- I still don't understand why you think things will change. They have solid team now and with the recruits that are coming - they still have one helluva team. If you aren't saying they will drop basketball and they have sold players now and in another solid class coming in for 2021, I don't understand why you think anything will end. If they have the players - what makes you think anything is going to end?

It's the same with willtalk's post he sent to me. I don't understand. If UCONN gets Azzi - UCONN will probably be a on a 4 year run during her tenure of a 1/2 ranking barring injuries. Who knows what happens 1 game in the NCAA Tourney. But they have players committed. They have a strong team now. If they don't drop the sport, and with the players committed, and especially if they get Azzi, then how can there be a concern?

Reaction Score
So what is the problem? UConn wanted to be a Power 5 school with a top football program for years. Now they finally realize that the sports strength of the school is basketball i. e. The Big East for better or for worse. Do you really think that the thinning of these sports is going to make a difference? My opinion: nothing. The State is losing population and pushing the envelope on the residents who remain. Money has to be well spent and tough decisions made. Why shouldn't the University evaluate what is profitable and what isn't. Sounds like they are moving in the right direction, he says as he receives his envelope for a financial contribution.
Connecticut population...

2019: 3,565,287
2009: 3,561,807
1999: 3,282,031
1989: 3,283,403

Seems like over the last 30 years population has slowly risen? It's a relatively stable population that goes up or down by 0.1-0.25% in any given year. Not sure the state can take many more people anyway given its position as one of the most densely populated places in the country.

Reaction Score
CT
Connecticut population...

2019: 3,565,287
2009: 3,561,807
1999: 3,282,031
1989: 3,283,403

Seems like over the last 30 years population has slowly risen? It's a relatively stable population that goes up or down by 0.1-0.25% in any given year. Not sure the state can take many more people anyway given its position as one of the most densely populated places in the country.

CT population has dropped six consecutive years. Not by a lot - but not what you want to see. What is more relevant to the state's fiscal health is that the people moving out have significantly higher incomes than those moving in (per a major Bloomberg study).

Reaction Score
CT

CT population has dropped six consecutive years. Not by a lot - but not what you want to see. What is more relevant to the state's fiscal health is that the people moving out have significantly higher incomes than those moving in (per a major Bloomberg study).
Do you think other states are killing themselves over a 10 or 20k drop in population over a decade? Probably not, but people that frequent this site seem to.

Reaction Score
Do you think other states are killing themselves over a 10 or 20k drop in population over a decade? Probably not, but people that frequent this site seem to.

When the population loss is driven by wealthier taxpayers who are moving out, a state should be concerned. Loss of the people who pay the taxes in a state with serious financial problems can't be a good thing.

Btw, over the five years when CT has lost population, the U.S. population has grown by more than 3%.

Reaction Score
Time to key the music for Education Rock's "Elbow room!" Only the over 60 crowd will get this..... : )

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Time to key the music for Education Rock's "Elbow room!" Only the over 60 crowd will get this..... : )

I'm in my 40s and I get that. I watched it on Saturday mornings.

Also, as much as I love School House Rock's takes on grammar and math, Elbow Room is legit terrible. It depicts the North American as empty and waiting for European settlers and their descendants to simply expand into it without consequence.

But, yeah, that's neither here nor there.

Reaction Score
I'm in my 40s and I get that. I watched it on Saturday mornings.

Also, as much as I love School House Rock's takes on grammar and math, Elbow Room is legit terrible. It depicts the North American as empty and waiting for European settlers and their descendants to simply expand into it without consequence.

But, yeah, that's neither here nor there.
Pretty sure that that was the one that cancelled the programming...

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Additionally, athletic director David Benedict will take a voluntary 15% pay reduction.

Props for this leadership move.

Reaction Score
For those who think that in order to qualify as a "Powerhouse" in basketball that Uconn must first of all have a top tier football team I would point out that traditional powerhouses like Kansas, Duke, and North Carolina, even though they are Power 5 schools, are never in contention for national championships. What they do have is enough schools in their respective conferences that feature basketball as a "major" sport. I feel that the Big East, even without a strong football presence, can attract the four and five star players for the simple reason that it is a basketball first conference. I also feel that as such the schools should stop the pretense of having a "football program." I know this will aggravate some boneyarders who love the sport so let me say this. I grew up in Western Pa. and played in high school and love the sport. But I also know the physical dangers and the economic cost and between the two of them it is just not worth fielding a team unless you are ready to make a major commitment in terms of money. And I don't mean a few million - rather tens of millions, money that can be spent in many other area that will make our University more appealing. And the best part is that we can still enjoy our basketball at a high level.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
For those who think that in order to qualify as a "Powerhouse" in basketball that Uconn must first of all have a top tier football team
Does anyone think this?

Reaction Score
This story has a number of chapters yet to write, particularly when it comes to restarting colleges in the fall, let alone restarting college sports. I think that right now everyone is looking around at everyone else not wanting to be the first school to cancel in-person fall classes or fall sports. Stay tuned.......
I think legal liability plays a lot in the decisions. If the virus counts are going up a lawyer would say she had the information why did you allow my client to subjected to the virus. You would have to have them sign their rights away to protect yourself. Just my opinion. Just think another year of starting lineup discussions. We will figure it out by then.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think legal liability plays a lot in the decisions. If the virus counts are going up a lawyer would say she had the information why did you allow my client to subjected to the virus. You would have to have them sign their rights away to protect yourself. Just my opinion. Just think another year of starting lineup discussions. We will figure it out by then.
With all that’s going on with College athletes, the virus and schools like tOSU asking players to sign waivers, I’ve been thinking a lot lately about Hank Gathers, the phenomenal basketball player who lead upstart Loyola Marymount to national prominence in the late 80’s. Gathers was only the 2nd player ever to lead the nation in both scoring and rebounding, which he did as a junior.

In his senior year, LM was a top 5 team and some projected Gathers to be the 1st pick in the NBA draft. But during the season Gathers passed out during a game. Subsequently it was determined that he had an irregular heartbeat. At first LM advised Gathers that his playing days were over. But Gathers and his family pressed LM to let him continue his basketball career.

Gathers was put on a strong medication to control his irregular heartbeat and he and his family agreed to sign a waiver holding LM harmless should something happen. Gathers felt that the medication made him sluggish and unbeknownst to LM or his cardiologist, he stopped taking the medication on game days. Tragically, he passed out again during a game and died of cardiac arrest.

Despite the signed waiver, Gathers family sued LM and the cardiologist for $32 million. Eventually, there was a settlement with LM paying $1.4 million and the cardiologist another $1 million.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
For those who think that in order to qualify as a "Powerhouse" in basketball that Uconn must first of all have a top tier football team I would point out that traditional powerhouses

If anyone does think this: Villanova's and Gonzaga's men's teams are the counterpoint.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom