Dropping sports | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dropping sports

Reaction Score
I don't believe anyone is saying that she would not come to UConn, just that the financial situations at schools might certainly play a part in players selections process. Players in todays WCBB world, are making more logical and less emotional decisions than the did in the past. They are not just making decisions based on one factor alone.

Yeah, that's why the transfer rate is so low. :D

Reaction Score
O
For those who think that in order to qualify as a "Powerhouse" in basketball that Uconn must first of all have a top tier football team I would point out that traditional powerhouses like Kansas, Duke, and North Carolina, even though they are Power 5 schools, are never in contention for national championships. What they do have is enough schools in their respective conferences that feature basketball as a "major" sport. I feel that the Big East, even without a strong football presence, can attract the four and five star players for the simple reason that it is a basketball first conference. I also feel that as such the schools should stop the pretense of having a "football program." I know this will aggravate some boneyarders who love the sport so let me say this. I grew up in Western Pa. and played in high school and love the sport. But I also know the physical dangers and the economic cost and between the two of them it is just not worth fielding a team unless you are ready to make a major commitment in terms of money. And I don't mean a few million - rather tens of millions, money that can be spent in many other area that will make our University more appealing. And the best part is that we can still enjoy our basketball at a high level.
Of course you listed 3 schools that pay their players very well and the NCAA bends over for

Last edited:
Reaction Score
O

Of course you listed 3 schools that pay their players very well and then as bends over for
Xanzman, name me one top ten school that does not bend over for their players or, for that matter, does not "pay" them - and that payment does not always have to mean money.

Reaction Score
Xanzman, name me one top ten school that does not bend over for their players or, for that matter, does not "pay" them - and that payment does not always have to mean money.
You may be right but they still seem like they wear Teflon when it comes to NCAA violations and punishments

Reaction Score
You may be right but they still seem like they wear Teflon when it comes to NCAA violations and punishments
That I completely agree with and that is my point of the difference between the "Power 5" and other conferences. With the money they get from tv the NCAA powers are not going to kill the golden goose. They live in fear that these teams will secede from the NCAA.

Reaction Score
When the population loss is driven by wealthier taxpayers who are moving out, a state should be concerned. Loss of the people who pay the taxes in a state with serious financial problems can't be a good thing.

Btw, over the five years when CT has lost population, the U.S. population has grown by more than 3%.
In the past 3-4 months about 10k NYers moved in. Guarantee they have $$.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure if your numbers are right but they are buying house in CT

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
A bit off to the side of this worthwhile discussion, but closely related...

The presumed purpose of a college/university is—surprise—education. Two schools that were and are very good at educating students are the University of Chicago and Fordham University.

Fordham went from being a national power in football (which it began playing in 1882) to discontinuing the sport in the 1950s, and then resumed playing as a Division III team in, I believe, the late 1980s. Throughout that time and up to today it has been excellent at teaching and research.

U. of Chicago is one of the very best academic institutions in the nation. Their football team won quite a few Big Ten titles. It dropped fooball in 1939 and resumed playing in 1973 as a Div. III program. All of its Nobel Prize winners didn't seem to have noticed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom