Drop in polls | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Drop in polls

Reaction Score
I wanted a ranked providence in XL
why? it doesn't make a damn bit of difference. Their record is the same as it was before the poll came out. who the hell cares?

Reaction Score
The question is the people who vote on the polls are idiots yes it doesn't matter, net is more important its just that it makes no sense at all. I think Dave Borges does a great job with his ballot. But some of these voters are way off. It wouldn't surprise me if UConn beats Providence that some voters will drop UConn because they are anti Big East Conference.
what?

Reaction Score
Win on Saturday and move on.
Come March/April worry about rankings.

First win Saturday. Providence should not be taken lightly especially down Adama.
Adama out you worry about Yetna a bit.

Reaction Score
Meanwhile (unranked) Texas Tech loses to (unranked) Providence and now Texas Tech is ranked and Providence is still not. The way the AP votes makes no sense.
I havent cared about rankings since Duke lost a game and moved up several spots a few years ago. Polls are fun to talk about and debate but not worth getting worked up over.

Reaction Score
Watson is a issue Saturday. Whaley and Akok with a splash of Sampson will have to do the best they can.
Going to be tough.

Reaction Score
Can’t believe we ever got to 15 so this should’ve happened. Better stuff last game but a long way to go. Don’t care about the rankings for now!

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I kinda don’t care about polls in Nov/Dec. I used to win millions of dollars a good amount of beer money betting against low ranked teams vs unranked teams playing at home early in the season. I believe they were called wrong side favorite bets?

Reaction Score
It matters. 2 top 25 teams brings more eyes. It's not the end all be all. But it matters. It's foolish and naive to think it doesn't.
No, it doesn’t. That you think it does is what’s naive. It’s December. Rankings don’t mean squat.

Reaction Score
Watson is a issue Saturday. Whaley and Akok with a splash of Sampson will have to do the best they can.
Going to be tough.
We will need to attack him on offense. Make him work.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Threads like this almost make me miss those years we didn't have to argue over poll rankings.

Our ranking is justified.

Reaction Score
No, it doesn’t. That you think it does is what’s naive. It’s December. Rankings don’t mean squat.
It's far better to be ranked than it is to be irrelevant. This isn't difficult.

Reaction Score
The people arguing that rankings matter are being specific about what aspects of being a ranked team are important and why. If you disagree with those points, argue against them specifically. Just repeating that rankings don't matter does not an argument make.

Not to put words in your mouth, but I think you are saying the team should go about business as if they are unaware of the rankings, and that the arc of the season has nothing to do with a team's ranking. These are completely reasonable arguments to make, in my opinion. On the other hand, I think you are dead wrong if you don't think rankings affect fan engagement, media coverage, and things like that. These things can have mid- and long-term effects on recruiting, ticket sales, and other things that make future Ws more likely.

TL;DR:
Reasonable people can disagree as to the relevance of a team's weekly ranking as it pertains to any given aspect of a college basketball team. It is completely unreasonable, in my opinion, to make a blanket statement that rankings don't matter.

Reaction Score
The people arguing that rankings matter are being specific about what aspects of being a ranked team are important and why. If you disagree with those points, argue against them specifically. Just repeating that rankings don't matter does not an argument make.

Not to put words in your mouth, but I think you are saying the team should go about business as if they are unaware of the rankings, and that the arc of the season has nothing to do with a team's ranking. These are completely reasonable arguments to make, in my opinion. On the other hand, I think you are dead wrong if you don't think rankings affect fan engagement, media coverage, and things like that. These things can have mid- and long-term effects on recruiting, ticket sales, and other things that make future Ws more likely.

TL;DR:
Reasonable people can disagree as to the relevance of a team's weekly ranking as it pertains to any given aspect of a college basketball team. It is completely unreasonable, in my opinion, to make a blanket statement that rankings don't matter.

Exactly this!

Most important thing Saturday: winning. But not caring if PC is ranked is missing the point that more eyes on tv, more butts in the seats at the game, more Joe Blow Sportcenter watcher is going to be aware of it. This helps the team with revenue, awareness, reputation, etc which will affect things like end of season polls, recruiting, seed lines, etc.

Everyone knows the WIN is most important. Getting healthy is more important. Playing at the top of their game is important. But it doesn't make the rest irrelevant.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
This. If he can't understand this, it's not worth arguing with the guy.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
It's funny, Duke or Kansas drops a game they drop one spot in the polls, UConn drops a three point game at the buzzer in a hostile court they drop five spots. Any excuse to drop UConn.

You are correct about the polls, but I don't care about them

:cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom