Driving the Basketball | The Boneyard

Driving the Basketball

Reaction Score
Has anyone else noticed we have no one (outside of possible Bouk) that can consistently drive to the hoop and score?

I know there have been a lot of lay up comments, but it was so clear seeing posh drive right by Cole and actually score.

As soon as they went 5 out, they killed us going to the hoop. Wish we could recruit someone to do the same.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Most of the fans on this forum talk about it everyday. The guards on this team outside of Bouk do not have the speed, athleticism or innate ballhandling skills to get past D1 guards. And none of the swing players can take their man off the dribble either.

It's a consistent glaring weakness.

Reaction Score
Has anyone else noticed we have no one (outside of possible Bouk) that can consistently drive to the hoop and score?

I know there have been a lot of lay up comments, but it was so clear seeing posh drive right by Cole and actually score.

As soon as they went 5 out, they killed us going to the hoop. Wish we could recruit someone to do the same.
Considering who they are, I actually like Martin and Adams driving to the hoop. They are secondary ball handlers and/or backups. Forced to primary roles.

As far as Cole and Gaff are concerned, they are average to not good. They both do a couple things ok offensively, but that's about it.

The post is valid, I just interpret it as, our PGs suck and the backup/secondary off guards are limited. Neither is really news or shocking and I see Martin and Adams as strengths. Again, considering who they are.

Reaction Score
Martin and Bouk can drive pretty consistently, after that its get dicey. Adams just doesnt know how to drive with any finesse. He’s good for 1-2 charges per game.

Reaction Score
As crazy as it sounds, I think Gaff is the other guy besides Bouk who can score at the basket in traffic. He has done it a handful of times, sometimes with spectacular results, and, more importantly, rarely with face-palmingly embarrassing results, as is all too often the case with Martin, Cole and Adams. The problem is he only tries it about once every three games!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Driving the basketball?

1611074192870.png

Reaction Score
As crazy as it sounds, I think Gaff is the other guy besides Bouk who can score at the basket in traffic. He has done it a handful of times, sometimes with spectacular results, and, more importantly, rarely with face-palmingly embarrassing results, as is all too often the case with Martin, Cole and Adams. The problem is he only tries it about once every three games!
I think Gaffney has some ability in this too. He really needs to do it more. He has also made some really nice dishes off the drive. Our front court guys aren’t always ready for them, but that is a different problem.. Cole is not not good. He can’t score and never looks to pass.

Reaction Score
I think Gaffney has some ability in this too. He really needs to do it more. He has also made some really nice dishes off the drive. Our front court guys aren’t always ready for them, but that is a different problem.. Cole is not not good. He can’t score and never looks to pass.

Cole had 18 points 5 assists 3 boards and 2 TO's. I know he's not great but how can anyone in all reality even compare what Gaffney does, to him at this point it's not even close. There's no doubt he's not a great passer and not really quick but he had little trouble getting the ball past half court against a tough Posh, other defenders and made some plays early Gaffney may never make in his career. To say Cole "is not good" is ridiculous. He's not great, maybe not even the answer but he's good, the best answer easily we have at this point.

Reaction Score
unless AJ makes huge strides it's going to be even worse next year with diggins instead of bouk. hawkins cant create his own shot.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Cole drives to the hoop, he just gets it sent back down his throat about 80% of the time.

"They call that a Spaulding Sandwich". Ugh.

Reaction Score
Cole drives to the hoop, he just gets it sent back down his throat about 80% of the time.

"They call that a Spaulding Sandwich". Ugh.

He's AG going to the basket just fall, get the shot blocked and hope they call a foul. He shouldn't go to the basket unless he has a plan to drop it off to a big, otherwise no reason it's basically a turnover.

Reaction Score
Staff went all in on RJ and it looks like that may have been a mistake . I know we have no one better , but not sure he’s a reliable starter on a good team .

Shouldve taken Javon.....

Reaction Score
Staff went all in on RJ and it looks like that may have been a mistake . I know we have no one better , but not sure he’s a reliable starter on a good team .

The staff and maybe JimHurley too huh? I mean the kid is playing his heart out but for them not to see he was a step slow, much smaller than listed and unable to create a lot is a bad job. But it happens...next! I watched the games early and knew we were in trouble at the PG spot but hoped one of them would jump forward. Still time!

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
He plays like someone trying to prove that every scout got it wrong and he belongs in the Big East. He would be an excellent back-up PG for us if we had a better option.

Reaction Score
Where are we driving to?
In the best case scenario, trying for Indianapolis, but roadblocks in Omaha and Philly, South Orange and the Ocean State may divert the trip. Ultimate destination might be MSG.

Alert and focused driving may yet get us to our preferred destination or to another desirable site.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The fact that other teams are driving from the 3 point line all the way to the basket on us while we are not doing it to them says more about our defense than our offense. A team should not be able to consistently penetrate from the perimeter against any defense. The help has to arrive sooner.

Reaction Score
The fact that other teams are driving from the 3 point line all the way to the basket on us while we are not doing it to them says more about our defense than our offense. A team should not be able to consistently penetrate from the perimeter against any defense. The help has to arrive sooner.
Donny Marshall commented that he never saw anything like it, with Uconn's players not helping the others out on defense. Maybe they never saw a 5 out smaller team before ?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

It's not crazy. Gaff is very good at the rim...when he can get by his man. He's not always able to get by his man. I wouldn't mind running Gaff through some cuts and try to pass him the ball inside.

I think Jackson is a guy who can be an absolute weapon driving by his man, then passing or scoring at the rim. He's going to have to be guarded by fairly big guys and should be able to take them. I think that's exactly why Martin is having success. He's out there being guarded by guys he can get by. If shooting guards were defending him, we'd likely need to post him up and pass it in.

Cole does ok getting by his man, but like AG, gets swallowed up once the defense collapses on him. He's not Iverson who can just get to the rim before that help comes.

Reaction Score
Cole is not Shabazz or Kemba but he has done enough to be a good part of a winning team. He needs another guard to help him out and be a threat so the focus is not just on him. There is no threat on the court that is consistent at handling the ball for us and unless Polley is hot no one that opponents need to really worry about as a shooter. Adams and Martin are not consistent outside threats that teams need to account for or great ballhandlers. Seeing Hurley's quotes about Gaff in the Courant he is looking for him to solve this issue and it would have to be quite a turnaround at this point.

BParkDog

I will see number 5.
Reaction Score
The team drives like my wife's entire side of the family . . . poorly, and often with bad results.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom