"Dream Team" matchup | Page 3 | The Boneyard

"Dream Team" matchup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ryan Russillo was right when he said the only people who think the 12 team could beat the 92 team are either on the 12 team or 12 years old.

I think Lebron, Durant and Kobe and maybe Chris Paul are the only ones on this team who would make the 92 team. Lebron, Durant and Kobe would replace Lattern, Mullins and Drexler or Pippen. Does Paul replace Stockton? Tough one. No one else on the 12 team is replacing anyone on the 92 team.

The 12 team will start Chandler at Center? Are you kidding me? Him matching up with David Robinson and Ewing?

Malone and Barkley compared to Blake Griffin and Kevin Love? Come on, Blake can dunk that's cool.......

Also Kobe would make the team but wouldnt start over Jordon. The only one who starts is Lebron over the Bird/Pippen combo the 92 team used. Thats because by 92 Bird was slowed down due to injury and ended up retiring after.

There is only 1 Dream Team and it was in 1992 and they would beat this 2012 team by 15+

the one place that the 2012 team can't match up with is center. Chandler was the best American center not injured (Howard, Bynum, Aldridge, ect.) and he could not stop Robinson or Ewing. Every other position both teams have great players, but center makes the difference.

Reaction Score
Yea I find it kind of odd that everyone is keeps comparing the frontcourts, which the 92 team did have a decided advantage in, but completely ignoring the backcourt and perimeter situations. The 92 team had 2 elite perimeter defenders, Pippen & Jordan, they wouldn't be able to guard everyone at the same time. Stockton was a good defender in his day but he would not be able to handle today's elite athleticism at PG, Rose, Westbrook, and CP3 would blow by him with ease, and really he was a bit player on that 92 team.

So the all-time leader in steals (by a large margin) would have trouble with today's point guards. Got it.

Reaction Score
I remember Jordan, trust me. I just think it might have been different going against someone as big, quick and smart of a player as LeBron. As great as these two are in their primes, I couldn't see Jordan checking LeBron on defense. I didn't see the game but I heard that when Jordan won his first ring, he couldn't check Magic because of his size and Pippen had to handle guarding him. If that's true I just can't see how he could guard James.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They moved Jordan off of Magic in game 2. It wasn't a size issue (Jordan actually guarded Divac for the remainder of the series), it was to allow Jordan to roam more defensively, where he excelled.

Reaction Score
So the all-time leader in steals (by a large margin) would have trouble with today's point guards. Got it.
He would have trouble guarding Westbrook or Paul (or Rose), yes. Good defenders - heck, great defenders - can't guard those guys when they're playing well. And Rondo, and Irving, and Wall...

Point guards today are nothing like the guys Stockton played against.

Reaction Score
Pretty much, and lol @ steals being indicative of being able to check Westbrook, Paul, and Rose. There was nothing like Rose or Westbrook in terms of athleticism, size, and strength during Stockton era at the PG spot, I'm laughing at anyone thinking Stockton would handle those guys coming at him. Also, on the flipside Westbrook could give him plenty of problems on the other end, this Olympic tourney showed what Westbrook could do defensively when he doesn't have all the responsibility on the offensive end that he has in OKC.

He would have trouble guarding Westbrook or Paul (or Rose), yes. Good defenders - heck, great defenders - can't guard those guys when they're playing well. And Rondo, and Irving, and Wall...

Reaction Score

Stockton was slowed by an injury during the 92 Olympics. Magic (6'9") was the pg during the 92 Olympic run. His height and length would pose problems for everyone you mentioned, even though they had the advantage in quickness.

Reaction Score
Pretty much, and lol @ steals being indicative of being able to check Westbrook, Paul, and Rose. There was nothing like Rose or Westbrook in terms of athleticism, size, and strength during Stockton era at the PG spot, I'm laughing at anyone thinking Stockton would handle those guys coming at him. Also, on the flipside Westbrook could give him plenty of problems on the other end, this Olympic tourney showed what Westbrook could do defensively when he doesn't have all the responsibility on the offensive end that he has in OKC.

Agreed, except Stockton was crafty. I'm sure the guys you mentioned would have had trouble shuting down a healthy Stockton. As a matter of fact, I don't think any of them are that much better defensively than Stockton.

Reaction Score
Yea I find it kind of odd that everyone is keeps comparing the frontcourts, which the 92 team did have a decided advantage in, but completely ignoring the backcourt and perimeter situations. The 92 team had 2 elite perimeter defenders, Pippen & Jordan, they wouldn't be able to guard everyone at the same time. Stockton was a good defender in his day but he would not be able to handle today's elite athleticism at PG, Rose, Westbrook, and CP3 would blow by him with ease, and really he was a bit player on that 92 team.

If they blew by him (he didn't play much btw) there was Ewing, Robinson, Barkley, Malone, Pippin, and Jordan to help out.

Reaction Score
Stockton was slowed by an injury during the 92 Olympics. Magic (6'9") was the pg during the 92 Olympic run. His height and length would pose problems for everyone you mentioned, even though they had the advantage in quickness.
Magic was a mediocre defender in his prime, so it would be laughable to watch the '92 version of him try to defend Paul/Westbrook(/Rose). His length and size wouldn't cause any problems at all.

Look, Stockton was a good defender (D was probably the most underrated aspect of his game), but he wouldn't stand a chance at keeping those guys in front of him. Rajon Rondo is a pretty good defender - and one of the biggest freak athletes in the NBA - and he can't keep those guys in front of him. It has nothing to do with Stockton and everything to do with Westbrook/Paul(/Rose) simply being unguardable when they're on their games. I can count on one hand the number of guys in the NBA right now who can keep them in check.

Oh, and as to your other point: If Ewing or Robinson came to help out, they'd be leaving Dwight Howard wide open for an alley-oop. And if Jordan or Pippin left his man? Kobe or Durant would be wide open for a jumper. Point is, 2012 would have some options.

Now, if it comes to relying on hitting jumpers (2012) vs. being dominant inside the paint (1992), I'm picking the latter team to win a 7-game series every time. But the point stands that 2012, with a healthy Howard and Wade, stands more of a shot than people want to give them credit for.

Reaction Score
If they blew by him (he didn't play much btw) there was Ewing, Robinson, Barkley, Malone, Pippin, and Jordan to help out.

...and then Paul, Westbrook, and D Williams would kick it out to the perimeter for Melo, Durant, Kobe, Paul, Williams(when both are on the receiving end of passes) to knock down 3s at a high rate like they did the entire Olympics. I'm not saying the 2012 would win a 7 game series, but they could challenge and beat the 92 Dream Team game to game. I think people are letting old head nostalgia get to them if they're thinking today's players aren't comparable to those of the 80s and 90s, and thinking that Stockton and Magic(or Mullins/Drexler/Bird for that matter) could handle alot of these guys on the perimeter defensively is proof of that.

Reaction Score
Sometimes I think that certain threads need poster's ages. The original Dream Team is probably hard to appreciate for younger posters. Many know Lebron and not Drexler. Its difficult to convince one side or the other.

I'll just say that any team that has Michael Jordan (who was in his prime) wins.

Reaction Score
...and then Paul, Westbrook, and D Williams would kick it out to the perimeter for Melo, Durant, Kobe, Paul, Williams(when both are on the receiving end of passes) to knock down 3s at a high rate like they did the entire Olympics. I'm not saying the 2012 would win a 7 game series, but they could challenge and beat the 92 Dream Team game to game. I think people are letting old head nostalgia get to them if they're thinking today's players aren't comparable to those of the 80s and 90s, and thinking that Stockton and Magic(or Mullins/Drexler/Bird for that matter) could handle alot of these guys on the perimeter defensively is proof of that.

Let's not pretend these are the premier guys to kick the ball out to for 3 pt shooting.........Melo was 33%, James was 36%, Paul was 37%..........not exactly an automatic trey from these guys!!!

Reaction Score
Aceboon, you don't think Drexler could handle those guys of the perimeter? Clyde is criminally underrated, one of the most complete players you will ever see.

Reaction Score
Let's not pretend these are the premier guys to kick the ball out to for 3 pt shooting.........Melo was 33%, James was 36%, Paul was 37%..........not exactly an automatic trey from these guys!!!

Never mentioned Lebron, as for Melo and Paul, they shot 50% and 46% from the international 3 point line during the Olympics, Durant 52%, Kobe 44%, Williams 40%, even Iguodala shot 56%. Granted, Dream Team 92 would do an infiintely better job of closing out on 3 point shooters than the international teams, but the '12 would still pose problems. Lebron would still be at the 4 spot, being guarded by Malone and Barkley, driving in from the perimeter, neither one of them are stopping him there and the defense would have to react and leave 3 point shooters open, which is what happened every game in the Olympics.

Reaction Score
Aceboon, you don't think Drexler could handle those guys of the perimeter? Clyde is criminally underrated, one of the most complete players you will ever see.

Drexler and Magic were about the same level on D, neither one of them were all that good there.

Reaction Score
Never mentioned Lebron, as for Melo and Paul, they shot 50% and 46% from the international 3 point line during the Olympics, Durant 52%, Kobe 44%, Williams 40%, even Iguodala shot 56%. Granted, Dream Team 92 would do an infiintely better job of closing out on 3 point shooters than the international teams, but the '12 would still pose problems. Lebron would still be at the 4 spot, being guarded by Malone and Barkley, driving in from the perimeter, neither one of them are stopping him there and the defense would have to react and leave 3 point shooters open, which is what happened every game in the Olympics.

Your opinion but I do believe Barkley and or Malone could do a decent job on Lebron and his scoring ability inside would be severely neutralized. Also Stockton was plenty athletic to guard the PG's of today....and he was smarter!!!

Reaction Score
Your opinion but I do believe Barkley and or Malone could do a decent job on Lebron and his scoring ability inside would be severely neutralized. Also Stockton was plenty athletic to guard the PG's of today....and he was smarter!!!

Not going to rehash the Stockton argument, as for the bolded...

86247_LEBRON-DURANT-STAR.gif

Reaction Score
LOL @ Barkley and Malone being able to check LeBron.

Look, the Dream Team was great, and I mean really great. Legendary. But, some of you older folks are sensationalizing them a little bit, almost to the point where you scoff at any players of today being able to compete with them, as if they were not mortals.

Dwight Howard, LeBron James, and Russell Westbrook are better pure athletes than any of the guys on the 92 team. It's just basic evolution. Players like those mentioned above simply did not exist 20 years ago, so to act like players like Jordan and Magic would not have any trouble adjusting his absurd. I still think the Dream Team beats the 2012 team 7 or 8 out of ten, but the players in today's game are much better than many of the older fans would like to give them credit for.

Reaction Score
Wow completely disagree, Drexler was a very good defender.

You're letting those steals to fastbreak dunks sway you, Drexler was never a great on the ball/man defender.

Reaction Score
You're letting those steals to fastbreak dunks sway you, Drexler was never a great on the ball/man defender.

You do realize that in Drexler's day the 'big 3' (star players) was normal for every team in the league, and a 'big 4' not uncommon. Players like Drexler played against teams having multiple weapons day in and day out, I just don't see that nowadays. Nowadays its the big 1 or 2 as the norm for NBA teams and every team fighting to get a big 3. Many people think that the talent is significantly better nowadays, maybe so, but certainly 'teams' were not. I just think there is some context to this discussion that is not being considered.

Reaction Score
LOL @ Barkley and Malone being able to check LeBron.

Look, the Dream Team was great, and I mean really great. Legendary. But, some of you older folks are sensationalizing them a little bit, almost to the point where you scoff at any players of today being able to compete with them, as if they were not mortals.

I still think the Dream Team beats the 2012 team 7 or 8 out of ten, but the players in today's game are much better than many of the older fans would like to give them credit for.[/quote

As an "older folk" you may have a point in terms of individual ability. However, many of you younger folk equate athletism to being a great player. That's simply not always the case. The Dream Team was not as athletic as the 2012 tram, but was a much deeper team with more experience and better overall BB smarts. They epitomized the team concept and for my money great experienced players who play as a team will beat a group of athletic players who have not fully accepted the team concept and rely too much on that athletism at the expense of having any real team approach to their game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom