Dr. J vs. UCONN | The Boneyard

Dr. J vs. UCONN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Most likely the second best or third best.

If you consider Dr. J being considered about the 15-20 range of most all-time NBA players, he probably in the top 3 UConn ever faced.

Almost every list of all-time greats would put Shaq ahead of Dr. J and UConn definitely played against Shaq when he was at LSU.

Bill Bradley and Bob Cousey are the only other players I can think of that UConn played against that's even close. And I would certainly put Dr. J above them.

Real quickly (and in no particular order) none of these players ever played against UConn- Chamberlain, Russell, Jabbar, Bird, Duncan (missed playing with Rodney Rogers by a year), Garnett, Jordan, Barkley, Malone (Moses or Karl), McHale, Magic, Kobe, 'Bron, Olajuwon, West.

Reaction Score
Chin Diesel said:

If you consider Dr. J being considered about the 15-20 range of most all-time NBA players, he probably in the top 3 UConn ever faced.

Almost every list of all-time greats would put Shaq ahead of Dr. J and UConn definitely played against Shaq when he was at LSU.

Bill Bradley and Bob Cousey are the only other players I can think of that UConn played against that's even close. And I would certainly put Dr. J above them.

Real quickly (and in no particular order) none of these players ever played against UConn- Chamberlain, Russell, Jabbar, Bird, Duncan (missed playing with Rodney Rogers by a year), Garnett, Jordan, Barkley, Malone (Moses or Karl), McHale, Magic, Kobe, 'Bron, Olajuwon, West.

Ewing would probably fall behind Dr. J, but he's the other one that springs to mind.

We did more than play against Shaq. We destroyed him. Lyman DePriest locked him down (OK, not exactly, he got his 30 and 15 - but Lyman was effective for a short spell. Just helps the legend of Lyman to say he locked down 5-9 Dana Barros and 7-1 Shaq).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Ewing would probably fall behind Dr. J, but he's the other one that springs to mind.

We did more than play against Shaq. We destroyed him. Lyman DePriest locked him down (OK, not exactly, he got his 30 and 15 - but Lyman was effective for a short spell. Just helps the legend of Lyman to say he locked down 5-9 Dana Barros and 7-1 Shaq).

I don't think anyone from the Big East conference challenges Dr. J. Again, just off the top of my head, it was all pre-BE or NCAA tourney teams that came to mind.

Reaction Score
Chin Diesel said:
I don't think anyone from the Big East conference challenges Dr. J. Again, just off the top of my head, it was all pre-BE or NCAA tourney teams that came to mind.

But Dr. J wasn't even on the Dream Team. Ewing and Mullin were. That says it all right there.

(It'd probably be more fun to not put a "haha" disclaimer in parentheses and see if anyone actually took the bait thinking that was serious)

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
I remember when Dr. J hit 16 of 27 shots on his way to 43 points and a game winning steal and three against us. Man he was good that night.

Wait, that was only Darius Rice?

Reaction Score
But Dr. J wasn't even on the Dream Team. Ewing and Mullin were. That says it all right there.

(It'd probably be more fun to not put a "haha" disclaimer in parentheses and see if anyone actually took the bait thinking that was serious)
I believe that Dr J was retired or at the end of his career. He was definitely better than Mullen. I'd put him up there maybe slightly behind magic and Bird.

Reaction Score
http://umasshoops.com/history/alumni/julius_erving/

If you check out this website you can read about one of the most incredible players in basketball history. The one who revolutionized the game with his high flying dunks, jumping ability and lightning quickness that lead him to be one of the very few who averaged 20 points and 20 rebounds as a collegiate. Erving was one of a group of "hardship players" drafted by the ABA, as the NBA wouldn't touch players before their fourth year of eligibility. Some of these were the biggest stars of that era and went to the ABA for the money, and to come out as soon as they were ready play and so they ABA could snatch them from the NBA. Much of his legend was left behind when the ABA and NBA merged. This was by design. So, if you remember Dr J from the 76ers you really never saw his best. If you were lucky enough to see him play for the Virginia Squires, and especially the NY Nets, you would realize that he may have been the best all around player ever. He may not have been the best to play against UCONN, but I assure you that nobody was better!

caw

Reaction Score

Not sure the high school kids make sense to include.

Reaction Score
Sorry, Comparisons are so hard to do from era to era. Certainly Erving was revolutionary

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not sure the high school kids make sense to include.

I was going in reverse of figuring out the best NBA player list and then figuring out who was the best to play against UConn.

Reaction Score

I do believe the Huskies played against Minnesota with McHale at the Civic Center in the 1981 NIT.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Also played against a couple of future hall of famers in Iverson, Carmelo and Pierce.

Reaction Score
Didn't UConn play against Elgin Baylor a long time ago? Also, (I believe) played against Jim Brown and while not a pro BB player, turned out pretty good in another sport.

On edit: for those who want to read about the greatest athlete (imo) that UConn ever played against go to
http://www.orangehoops.org/JBrown.htm.

Jim Brown was more than incredible as a college athlete.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I do believe the Huskies played against Minnesota with McHale at the Civic Center in the 1981 NIT.

I don't think so. The Celts won the title that year. That was Trent Tucker.

Reaction Score

I think McHale left in 80 though? Thought Mark Hall of Springfield, Randy Breuer and Trent Tucker from the Knicks (forgot dammit?)

Reaction Score
I remember when Dr. J hit 16 of 27 shots on his way to 43 points and a game winning steal and three against us. Man he was good that night.

Wait, that was only Darius Rice?

Speaking of an opponent scoring 43 points on us, remember Elijah Allen of FDU in the first round of the 1998 NCAA tourney? He was on fire that night.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Looking at some NBA career leaders, Dr. J, Kareem and the Mailman form a nice group.

Only three players in the 30,000 point, 10,000 rebound and 5,000 assist club.

Reaction Score
We used a 1-3-1 zone in Shaq's game. It would have been HERCULEAN for the 6-5 DePriest to guard him.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
For some reason, I recall that it was Toraino Walker guarding Shaq, not DePriest. Am I going senile already?? Anybody have film of that game?

Reaction Score
Good topic...best opponents ever....

I would say Dr. J is the best and Shaq next.

Others on list include:

Bob Cousy
Bill Bradley
Chris Mullin
Patrick Ewing
Carmelo Anthony
Sean Elliott
Grant Hill
Paul Pierce
Allen Iverson
John Wall
Rajon Rondo
Vince Carter
Derrick Rose
Otis Thorpe
Alonzo Mourning
Derrick Coleman

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For those that witnessed the first ABA NBA all-star game.
The NBA stars were in Awe of him and the game was changed for ever.
He had pretty much been the catalyst for the merger.
The Net team with Super John, Brian Taylor , Larry Kenon.
Was actually fun to watch especially with the three point shot. The NBA didn't like change.
I remember a game they were they were down 10 with about minute left.
The Dr. hit 4 threes and they pulled it out.

It's unfortunate you younger guys never got to see him play.
One of the truly great players of all-time. Probably the prototype for the superstars of the last 20 years.

Reaction Score
Good topic...best opponents ever....

I would say Dr. J is the best and Shaq next.

Others on list include:

Bob Cousy
Bill Bradley
Chris Mullin
Patrick Ewing
Carmelo Anthony
Sean Elliott
Grant Hill
Paul Pierce
Allen Iverson
John Wall
Rajon Rondo