Down goes Oregon.... Louisville 72, Oregon 62 | The Boneyard

Down goes Oregon.... Louisville 72, Oregon 62

Reaction Score
The Ducks won't be going undefeated this year. I like when top teams lose, but I have mixed feelings when they are on UConn's schedule. Part of me wants the teams we play to have the best possible records. I wonder if UL will leapfrog the Huskies in Monday's poll?

Reaction Score
Oregon basically uses only 5 players .. and their benches are not as good as expected.

Screenshot (2).png

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I realize this is the UCONN side, not the general board side, but great post to put over here. Lots of interesting things to discuss vis-a-vis how it impacts UCONN.

First, congrats to L'ville. Great game plan, and it goes to show the benefit of the immediate eligibility for their transfers. Just like Muffet's transfer of Shephard was instrumental in ND winning their NC. Makes me very envious that they were granted waivers but Westbrook was not.

A few on the other board speculated L'ville would jump to 3. No way to they leapfrog UCONN IMHO.
  1. Baylor
  2. Stanford (assuming they beat Mississippi State)
  3. UCONN
  4. Lousville
  5. Oregon
L'ville started at #8. Just can't see them jumping to #3. Bottom line, great win. L'ville will be in the mix at the end. More parity this year than everyone thought (Oregon, Baylor, gap, everyone else). Baylor certainly hasn't looked like world beaters this season either...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There were several things that this result can be attributed to, but I felt like I was watching UConn vs MSST 2017. A more athletic, gritty team came out with the win. Louisville may not play "pretty ball", but it can be effective when a team like Oregon isn't hitting their shots. Oregon is beatable and now we know how. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
I realize this is the UCONN side, not the general board side, but great post to put over here. Lots of interesting things to discuss vis-a-vis how it impacts UCONN.

First, congrats to L'ville. Great game plan, and it goes to show the benefit of the immediate eligibility for their transfers. Just like Dawn's transfers of Gray and Davis were essential in winning their NC. Makes me very envious that they were granted waivers but Westbrook was not.

A few on the other board speculated L'ville would jump to 3. No way to they leapfrog UCONN IMHO.
  1. Baylor
  3. UCONN
  4. Lousville
  5. Oregon
L'ville started at #8. Just can't see them jumping to #3. Bottom line, great win. L'ville will be in the mix at the end. More parity this year than everyone thought (Oregon, Baylor, gap, everyone else). Baylor certainly hasn't looked like world beaters this season either...

I don't see a lot of separation between the top dozen teams. And even Baylor and Oregon have not been Conn-like overpowering.

I will put Louisville third (for now), and keep Oregon first. Anyone can have a bad game. They just have so much talent, and we saw what they were capable of doing against the national team.

Speaking of the national team, does it need some rejuvination? Some roster shuffling before the Olympics?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Louisville has one great strength that is a UConn weakness: perimeter defense. They hound and stick to guards and shooters which helps explain the poor games from Ionescu, Sabally, and Boley. That is where UConn must improve dramatically next year to compete for a title.

Reaction Score
I don't see a lot of separation between the top dozen teams. And even Baylor and Oregon have not been Conn-like overpowering.

I will put Louisville third (for now), and keep Oregon first. Anyone can have a bad game. They just have so much talent, and we saw what they were capable of doing against the national team.

Speaking of the national team, does it need some rejuvination? Some roster shuffling before the Olympics?
Many key players for the US national team were injured/ ill or just not playing when they played Oregon. They didn't have a good showing, but were missing many key pieces :)

Reaction Score

First, congrats to L'ville. Great game plan, and it goes to show the benefit of the immediate eligibility for their transfers. Just like Dawn's transfers of Gray and Davis were essential in winning their NC. Makes me very envious that they were granted waivers but Westbrook was not.

1. Baylor
  3. UCONN
  4. Lousville
  5. Oregon

Yup. All true, Eric. Didn't you get a bucket full of ticker-tape last year?
This sort of confirms my belief that East Coast teams are generally better than those from the West. In Baylor's case, they seem to depend so much on Cox that if she doesn't play they're a much weaker team. Though I'm sorry Oregon won't come to CT undefeated this season, fact is the Husky future is entirely in their hands: beat Baylor and Oregon and go to #1. Could happen.

Reaction Score

1. Baylor
  3. UCONN
  4. Lousville
  5. Oregon
I think you should be thinking of Shepard at ND, and not Davis and Gray at SC. The two of them sat out a year.

Reaction Score
Many key players for the US national team were injured/ ill or just not playing when they played Oregon. They didn't have a good showing, but were missing many key pieces :)
If Baylor win, I would have them number 1, Louisville number 2, winner of MSST/Stanford number 3, UConn number 4, Oregon State number 5, and Oregon number 6. If Baylor loses I would move everyone up and put Baylor at number 6.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The Ducks won't be going undefeated this year. I like when top teams lose, but I have mixed feelings when they are on UConn's schedule. Part of me wants the teams we play to have the best possible records. I wonder if UL will leapfrog the Huskies in Monday's poll?

They should. I know not many (if any) will agree, but if you’re a top 10 program, and you knock off number 1, the program that on paper is supposed to be better than those ranked below them, I think that team should go to the top of the poll.

Baylor will take over the top spot. Oregon will probably drop down to number 5, with everyone moving up one spot. Louisville moves up to number 3/4 behind Baylor, Stanford and possibly UConn.

Reaction Score
If Baylor win, I would have them number 1, Louisville number 2, winner of MSST/Stanford number 3, UConn number 4, Oregon State number 5, and Oregon number 6. If Baylor loses I would move everyone up and put Baylor at number 6.
I don't think MSST would jump to #3, nor will UL jump to #2, but that would for sure shake things up!

Reaction Score
This is why polls are difficult to predict - too many varying opinions of what should happen. What I think the polls are suppose to represent and what they do represent are totally different. In my view the polls are suppose to represent which team the voters think is the best team, second best etc. so it is conceivable that the number 1 team remains number 1 even if they lose - assuming the voters still think they are the best team. However, it appears that the polls are dictated more by results, therefore if the number 1 team loses then they must be moved down and a new number 1 crowned. And the team that beat them gets a big boost. History proves that most teams lose at least one game a year (unless it is UConn) so it is not inconceivable that a beaten number 1 stays at number 1 - but that rarely, if ever, happens. I do not see enough wbb games to choose a number one but I find it difficult to believe that Oregon falls below 3 and Louisville rises above 5 - but you never know. And at this time of year - does it matter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom