Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't have a Top 10.

1) UConn
2) Purdue
3) Arizona

4) Houston ?
5) Baylor? Wisconsin?

Auburn? Best win is over #36 A&M. Next best: Virginia Tech.
Kentucky? Have a good win over UNC, and then....nothing.
Tennessee - I guess quality losses count for something.

Reactions: caw

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You’re just saying a lot of words. You know what I was saying. You know what I meant. No meed to throw out a pointless word salad all the time. Just keep it simple sometimes.
Numbers are measurable.
That part is very very simple.
And they don't favor your point.

I think that's where you wish I'd stop.

By contrast, your suppositions are speculative, and they are incorrect, no matter how much you fantasize or argue otherwise.

YOU are the one who introduced numbers

Every game's outcome tonight will be measured in comparative numbers.

Every bet will have its winners & losers determined by measurable comparative numbers.

I've objected to how out of line your use of "1000%" is from reality, and I've claimed that such gross inaccuracies degarade the discussion and frustrate clear communication on this board.

You can't defend your chosen number, and you won't refute my claim. Instead you are repeating that I (and others) know what you are saying and what you mean. Based on what? Do you have anything to offer except blind faith in your cognitive egocentricity combined with seemingly reflexive contempt for further examination?

At this point, I question your rhetoric, logical reasoning, spirit of inquiry, cooperative attitude, and commitment to healthy exchange between fellow fans...in addition to your numbers.

Fortunately, during this absurd contretemps I've had a great crazy great time with my favorite 23-month old, seen two satisfying UConn basketball wins, watched Butler finish off Marquette, and learned that Kansas & Tennessee lost on the road, so that UNC was the only other Top 10 besides UConn team to win on the road this week .

And that's gotta be inarguably 604% slightly better than something, right?
You know what I'm sayin'?

Reaction Score
So, #1,2,4 and 5 all lost this week so far. If we can hold on to this win, we should be the new #1.
You'd think. Would be first time since 2009.

And, if Clingan doesn't come back, they go into the next week Home v. Creighton (again, Clingan would be clutch here) and @ Villanova. It would be pretty amazing if they hold onto it without Clingan.

Reaction Score
Numbers are measurable.
That part is very very simple.
And they don't favor your point.

I think that's where you wish I'd stop.

By contrast, your suppositions are speculative, and they are incorrect, no matter how much you fantasize or argue otherwise.

YOU are the one who introduced numbers

Every game's outcome tonight will be measured in comparative numbers.

Every bet will have its winners & losers determined by measurable comparative numbers.

I've objected to how out of line your use of "1000%" is from reality, and I've claimed that such gross inaccuracies degarade the discussion and frustrate clear communication on this board.

You can't defend your chosen number, and you won't refute my claim. Instead you are repeating that I (and others) know what you are saying and what you mean. Based on what? Do you have anything to offer except blind faith in your cognitive egocentricity combined with seemingly reflexive contempt for further examination?

At this point, I question your rhetoric, logical reasoning, spirit of inquiry, cooperative attitude, and commitment to healthy exchange between fellow fans...in addition to your numbers.

Fortunately, during this absurd contretemps I've had a great crazy great time with my favorite 23-month old, seen two satisfying UConn basketball wins, watched Butler finish off Marquette, and learned that Kansas & Tennessee lost on the road, so that UNC was the only other Top 10 besides UConn team to win on the road this week .

And that's gotta be inarguably 604% slightly better than something, right?
You know what I'm sayin'?

You know what it meant. It meant certainty. Their resume, with certainty, is better than ours. Enough, no need for another stream of consciousness, we can digress like gentlemen to save ourselves and others the burden.

caw

Reaction Score
1, 2, 3, 5, 9, 11, 17, 18, 21 all go down in two days. Nine of the top 25 drop one. Just a wild week so far. Only #18 BYU lost to a ranked team. The rest lost to unranked teams.

I imagine there will be a few more before the next poll. Should be interesting.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You know what it meant. It meant certainty. Their resume, with certainty, is better than ours. Enough, no need for another stream of consciousness, we can digress like gentlemen to save ourselves and others the burden.
Yeah, and you know that "1000% better" was, is, and will always be an untenable, over the top, exaggeration that sparked conflict initially, and wasted time thereafter...even if my saying so is a million times more annoying than you want to be annoyed.

I never questioned whether Purdue had a better resume.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah, and you know that "1000% better" was, is, and will always be an untenable, over the top, exaggeration that sparked conflict initially, and wasted time thereafter...even if my saying so is a million times more annoying than you want to be annoyed.

I never questioned whether Purdue had a better resume.
Neither did I. I think somehow people started using 1000% to mean "without a doubt", but I can't read it that way, it's a number with a fixed meaning. If you mean "without a doubt" say "without a doubt".

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Aside from all the minutia arguing with fellow posters, I'm amazed that this current #4 team is doing so well without one of the best 5's in the entire country.

I mean the 5 point win at Xavier was not a work of art, but a desperate team going on a 13-2 run to make the game way closer while playing at home is not that surprising, I suppose.

Doesn't really matter who the "best" team in the nation is - we've won a couple NC's when not even a top 2 seed (NC's as a 1,2,3,4 and 7 seed). So while I'll take being ranked in the top 10, top 5, even #1 any day of the week (certainly great for getting "talked about" by the experts and can't hurt recruiting at all), it won't matter when the tourney starts.

My hope is that we keep getting better and better. Win all the games we can without Clingan, keep improving, get as much great playing time as we can for the bench, and be ready come March. Oh, and keep healthy. This team is legit when healthy, and a NC contender. Just look what we've gone thru this season - Castle goes down, Clingan goes down (not sure he was 100% at any time this season), no idea what to expect from Ball, Diarra, Johnson, or Stewart, but the guys have played great, improved, stepped in when needed, and been coached up.

ANY kid who is being recruited just needs to look at the roster, the development, the results, you name it - this program is doing everything right - something I don't think any other program in the nation can say (ok, maybe my glasses are a little too blue), but you get my point. Love this team and love the staff.

Reaction Score
If you think it affects the mojo, then it affects the mojo. ;)
Diarra believes in the mojo. The rest of you non-believers should take his lead. :)

Outside of the UConn men's basketball team's victorious locker room on Wednesday night, not long after the Huskies had completed their Midwest sweep of Butler and Xavier, Hassan Diarra was informed that Kansas had just been beaten by UCF.

"Kansas lost!?," Diarra shouted. "Oh, wow!"

Then, the realization seemed to enter the senior guard's mind. Kansas' loss, along with losses by Purdue and Houston the day before, meant that all three teams ranked ahead of the Huskies in the AP Top 25 poll had suffered losses in a 24-hour span. Even the team ranked right behind the fourth-ranked Huskies, Tennessee, had lost.

That meant ...

"Nobody say anything," Diarra exclaimed. "We don't want to jinx anything!"

Reaction Score
Aside from all the minutia arguing with fellow posters, I'm amazed that this current #4 team is doing so well without one of the best 5's in the entire country.
Thankfully we've had a soft schedule to open conference play. Hopefully we handle GTown at home as well.

Then we'll see how next week goes with Creighton at home and at Nova.

Reaction Score
If teams 1-24 all lose in a week, does that mean 25 goes up to #1 or more likely, does the poll mostly stay the same

Reaction Score
Love the optimism.. Let's see where we're at after Creighton/Nova next week.. Expecting #2 after a Georgetown win.. National press not in love with UConn yet

caw

Reaction Score
Thankfully we've had a soft schedule to open conference play. Hopefully we handle GTown at home as well.

Then we'll see how next week goes with Creighton at home and at Nova.

With the way SJU, Butler, MU (they have been much worse than expected) and SHU have played it’s not exactly as soft as first thought. But having DePaul in there helped.

Reaction Score
At least we’ll get #3, I don’t think we’ll pass Kansas until they have more losses than us unfortunately

Reaction Score
At least we’ll get #3, I don’t think we’ll pass Kansas until they have more losses than us unfortunately
We're absolutely going to pass Kansas.

And Kentucky's loss really helps increase the odds we hit #1, since a number of pollsters had them higher than us. Houston's second loss, did, too, since voters who had us #7 will pretty much all have us jump Kentucky, Houston, Tennessee, even if not Purdue, Kansas, UNC (UNC is ahead of us for a few voters).

Reaction Score
How far does Houston drop? First two quality teams they face all season and they lose.
Other than A&M which was ranked when Houston CC played the Aggies, the Cougars’ Charmin Soft OOC may not helped. TCU may be ranked soon, but project Houston’s 2-game losing streak against current unranked teams to drop them below Purdue/UConn (especially if beat Hoyas), KU, and UNC.

Reaction Score
1, 2, 3, 5, 9, 11, 17, 18, 21 all go down in two days. Nine of the top 25 drop one. Just a wild week so far. Only #18 BYU lost to a ranked team. The rest lost to unranked teams.

I imagine there will be a few more before the next poll. Should be interesting.
Today add #2 (again), 6, 8, 9, 19, & 25.

Wild season. CBB is fun.

Reaction Score
How far does Houston drop? First two quality teams they face all season and they lose.
It’s wild that they’re still #1 kenpom by a significant margin. Hell of a defense but there are absolutely some big questions about their offense.
We're absolutely going to pass Kansas.
If it wasn’t Kansas, I’d agree. I think there will be a lot of voters who use the head to head and the Oklahoma win to put them at #1.

Reaction Score
Another wild day. It’s hard to win on the road!

#2 Houston loses to TCU
#6 Kentucky loses to Texas A&M
#8 Arizona loses to Washington St
#19 SDSU loses to New Mexico
#25 Texas loses to WVU (lol)

Close call for #20 Utah St (1pt win against UNLV)

Reaction Score
If it wasn’t Kansas, I’d agree. I think there will be a lot of voters who use the head to head and the Oklahoma win to put them at #1.
We'll see. UCF is the worst loss among all the losses and relative to the top teams their advanced metrics are bad, so I think that those things will be going for us.

There will definitely be some people who do what you suggest. But there were also voters who put UNC ahead of both UConn AND Kentucky last week, and I think there will be plenty who do that.

If we're not #1, it will be because we're behind Purdue is my guess.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom